Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (last edited Aug 13, 2015 03:40PM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments Just a suggestion: If you're going to recommend a BFB, give some warning. Picking up the book from the library and finding out it's 900 pages can be a shock. (Mid-month doldrums seemed like a good time to slip this in).

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Which book got you?

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments Sacred Games, Vikram Chandra. 900 pages of small print, dense descriptive paragraphs and a glossary of Hindi words. I still rated it highly, but I doubt I would have given it a try knowing the length.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments So Dan, I am totally with you on the nice aspect of a BFB warning. The small print, nine hundred pages and dense paragraphs would be daunting. I am curious about your reading the book anyway. It must have been recommended highly or you, unlike some of us, can't return a book unread? :) :)

Dan in AZ wrote: "Sacred Games, Vikram Chandra. 900 pages of small print, dense descriptive paragraphs and a glossary of Hindi words. I still rated it highly, but I doubt I would have given it a try knowing the length.."

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Adding to list of Things to Do to Annoy Dan.

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments Ann, I looked at it and thought, "No way am I going to read this monster." Then, " Well, it interested me enough to order it, so why not try it?" And, "It's interesting and I hate to stop unless the book is unreadable." So, 900 pages and about a week later, I'd read a very good book. (It was recommended by someone on the board, but I can't remember who it was).

Carol, at this point one more annoyance from you is like an extra grain of sand on the beach.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "
Carol, at this point one more annoyance from you is like an extra grain of sand on the beach. ..."

I gave you a nice setup for that one! The feeling is lovingly mutual..

message 8: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments It's a true act of friendship when you throw yourself on the sword.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Belcamino (wwwgoodreadscomkristibelcamino) Can someone convince me to pick up Natchez Burning again? The size alone keeps putting me off. I think I'll get a migraine trying to read it in bed. Maybe this is a for sure eBook one!

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Kristi wrote: "Can someone convince me to pick up Natchez Burning again? The size alone keeps putting me off. I think I'll get a migraine trying to read it in bed. Maybe this is a for sure eBook one!"

read it, kristi. it's really good. definitely think about reading it as an ebook, though (that's what i did!)

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Kristi wrote: "Can someone convince me to pick up Natchez Burning again? The size alone keeps putting me off. I think I'll get a migraine trying to read it in bed. Maybe this is a for sure eBook one!"

plus, after you read it, you can join the discussion we had about it.

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Belcamino (wwwgoodreadscomkristibelcamino) Okay, will consider it! Thanks. But eBook for sure, I'll donate my whomping hardcover copy!

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 19, 2015 10:03PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Kristi, we read Natchez Burning as a group too. Maybe if you read the first couple of spoiler posts, only as far as you've read, the discussion will inspire you to keep going.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

It was definitely a BFB, but riveting. Iles is a brilliant storyteller, and his themes of race and politics grabs me every time. I listened to it on CD, so that made it easier to stick with.

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Belcamino (wwwgoodreadscomkristibelcamino) Thanks. Won't give up on it yet!