Christian Authors & Readers discussion

Writing > Book Marketing

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments I'm a relatively new author who has now published two books. Still struggling with how to effectively market the books. Have any of you found a marketing group that you feel has been effective and cost effective in helping you spread the word about your book?

Looking forward to the conversation.

message 2: by Loretta (last edited Aug 15, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Kirk wrote: "I'm a relatively new author who has now published two books. Still struggling with how to effectively market the books. Have any of you found a marketing group that you feel has been effective and ..."

I've heard that the more books you write, the more effective the marketing gets. It is something with which I am still struggling at the moment. I've tried a few but had almost no repsonse, which makes me reluctant to try the more expensive sites, although I hear people have better success with sites like ENT and BookBub. Lots of luck to you.

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Thank you, Loretta. I've read and heard the same thing. Certainly sales of the first book caught on again after I released book two. The sites I've tried have not been particularly successful either so I'm reluctant to try others. I'll look at the two you suggested. Best wishes to you as well.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily I've heard the same as Loretta. I haven't tried any of the marketing sites because of money. I'm on my third book and I have seen increase with each I put out there. I heard it usually takes five to really get momentum.
With any marketing it takes the average person seeing something 20 times before they respond. So think of that with your books also. The more books you have out the more times someone is going to see your name on something.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments I've have pretty much gone with the shotgun approach. I'll pick up a few sales here and a few there. No one silver bullet, it's a matter of working all angles. I'm a pretty new author as well so I'm also still finding out what works and what doesn't.

message 6: by Loretta (last edited Aug 16, 2015 06:30AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Just to encourage everyone - as you all seem to be at more or less the same stage of marekting as me - in her book, Discovering the Diamond, Helen Hollick, a very succesful author who is both traditionally published and Indie, says that the longtail method (even just a few sales a month) is a good start. I feel less discouraged when I think of that. Sometimes, when I read posts from Indie authors who seem to sell thousands of books monthly, it can get a bit disheartening, but most of those have been in this game far longer than many of us. On the bright side, isn't that 'OOOOOOOOOH' squeal of delight moment, when we discover we made a sale or got a new review, wonderful?
Discovering the Diamond  by Helen Hollick

message 7: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments I'll certainly take a look at Discovering the Diamonds. If selling a few books a month is the litmus test, I'm doing ok. Thanks for the encouragement. It seems the best results come from reviews and word of mouth. It just takes a long time.

message 8: by Loretta (last edited Aug 16, 2015 09:20PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Kirk wrote: "I'll certainly take a look at Discovering the Diamonds. If selling a few books a month is the litmus test, I'm doing ok. Thanks for the encouragement. It seems the best results come from reviews a..."

I found it had a lot of useful stuff in it, Kirk. I know an awful lot of authors do use Bookbub and ENT to great effect, and I expect I shall give them a go eventually, but it does feel better to know that selling a few a month is considered to be doing ok - although Helen does warn that many writers will never actually make a living from their books, and I know that is our dream. But if it will never provide our bread and butter, it would be nice if our writing did provide a little jam for the bread eventually, huh?
I know the authors on Clean Indie Reads (on Facebook) who are selling loads of books have often written a large number of books, so it does seem that time is the answer although I guess we do have to do our bit as much as we can to get our names 'out there' too..
By the way, one type of advertising I have found useless - and I know a few other authors say the same thing - is doing a Facebook promo. I have tried a few times, although I am a cheapskate and never spend more than 5-10 dollars, and I have never sold one book that way. It may work for some, but I have yet to find an author who has profited from it. Maybe you have to spend a little more to be effective there, but I won't be using it again.
I also must confess, I haven't followed every single thing in Helen's book - I couldn't afford a professional editor (I used a couple of excellent author friends instead, whom I trust, but it is something to aspire to) - but as a brand new author, I found it packed full of useful information which I simply could not have done without.
Lots of luck Kirk (and everyone else) keep on writing. And, I guess, since we are in the Christian authors and readers discussion thread, that we do have a certain Someone Else on our side. :)

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments You guys, look what I just got posted on! They are looking for authors for their blog and it is your favourite price - FREE! I only got the email today - I'd forgotten all about it. Here's the link: https://justfreeandbargainbooks.wordp...

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments I agree with you about Facebook, Loretta. I can get a number of "likes" and supposedly several thousand views, but no sales. I also haven't had much luck with twitter. If I'm running new promo, announcing it on Facebook and Twitter will generate a few sales. Outside of that nothing.

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments On my first book, I picked up several hundred sales outside of Texas. The only way I could have found those people was on Facebook or on the Book Daily site. I can't prove the exposure worked through those sites. That's the only problem with it.

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Kirk wrote: "On my first book, I picked up several hundred sales outside of Texas. The only way I could have found those people was on Facebook or on the Book Daily site. I can't prove the exposure worked throu..."

Wow, that was pretty impressive, Kirk.

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Kirk,

I take it you found Book Daily yo be a big help. I signed up on there but haven't done any of their promo's. The reviews I read for them were somewhat spotty, plus I was a little put off by the fact that after registering myself, and my book, I couldn't find either on the site.

message 14: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Tim,
I have no way of knowing for sure if it helped or not. I know the book gets exposure on the relatively inexpensive promos based on the data. All I know it is one of the few marketing sites I've actually used other than Facebook promos. I have done little else to get the word out beyond Texas and I over the year, I did pick up sales in spots across the nation. It was hopeful enough that I'm running my promotion on Book Daily for my second book right now. I should know in a few weeks if I"m seeing any sales pop up outside my region.

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Kirk wrote: "Tim,
I have no way of knowing for sure if it helped or not. I know the book gets exposure on the relatively inexpensive promos based on the data. All I know it is one of the few marketing sites I'..."

That will be interesting to know. Keep us posted, please, Kirk.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Thanks for the insight Kirk.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara Lowe | 11 comments I have a small ad campaign on Facebook now. Where the reach and video views have been more than I expected at only $.01 per view, it is not translating to sales. I'm not giving up on FB yet. Anyone else tried FB to advertise your book?

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 50 comments Sara wrote: "I have a small ad campaign on Facebook now. Where the reach and video views have been more than I expected at only $.01 per view, it is not translating to sales. I'm not giving up on FB yet. Anyone..."

Yes. Lots of views, no page likes, no sales. I had several attempts, but now I ask my friends to slap me if they see me heading in that direction, lol. However, I expect at some point, I will be unable to suppress the urge to have another go. Hopefully your campaign will work better than mine, Sara. Lots of luck with it.

message 19: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Hi Sara,
I do pick up an extended reach with the Facebook promotion and typically I'll pick up another 100 to 150 likes. I've not been able to connect sales directly to the promotion. However, I can tell, for instance, that I picked up some "likes" in North Carolina. My Amazon report then shows two or three sales in North Carolina. Did Facebook prompt that? Who knows?

message 20: by Kingdom (last edited Aug 20, 2015 08:44AM) (new)

Kingdom (kingdomexpansion) | 69 comments CBM can promote your book, author's website, author's blog, Facebook page, Twitter page and other sites of interest on hundreds of sites through various book marketing packages. The marketing will expand and expand into additional networks, communities and social communities.

message 21: by Kingdom (new)

Kingdom (kingdomexpansion) | 69 comments Facebook and other social media sites can be a great add on to an authors overall marketing campaign.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara Lowe | 11 comments Loretta wrote: "Sara wrote: "I have a small ad campaign on Facebook now. Where the reach and video views have been more than I expected at only $.01 per view, it is not translating to sales. I'm not giving up on F..."

Oh no, that doesn't sound good! Have you found something that worked Loretta?

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara Lowe | 11 comments Kirk wrote: "Hi Sara,
I do pick up an extended reach with the Facebook promotion and typically I'll pick up another 100 to 150 likes. I've not been able to connect sales directly to the promotion. However, I c..."

Good Old North Carolina I live 5 minutes south of that state in SC.
I know that awareness is valuable but I could use some sales!

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara Lowe | 11 comments Kingdom wrote: "CBM can promote your book, author's website, author's blog, Facebook page, Twitter page and other sites of interest on hundreds of sites through various book marketing packages. The marketing will ..."

I'll check that out, thanks

message 25: by Kingdom (last edited Aug 20, 2015 10:44AM) (new)

Kingdom (kingdomexpansion) | 69 comments Hi Sara,

Feel free to contact us at:
kingdomexpansion1( at )gmail.com