Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > Advice on Book Synopsis for Amazon?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 13, 2015 03:07PM) (new)

David Heath (davidheath23) | 7 comments Howdy! I'm launching my debut novel in November, and I'm getting everything set-up now. As many of you authors know, trying to distill your book down into a few sentences for a synopsis or summary can be immensely frustrating...this is the summary I'm considering posting for my Amazon listing. I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions you have, good or bad. Does the description interest you? Would you buy a copy if you read this? How can I make it better? The book is in the transgressive/thriller genre.

---

Trigger is once again sitting at home in front of his computer; only this time, he’s got a stomach full of powerful anti-depressants and gin. As an outcast that’s becoming disillusioned by society's increasing addiction to social media, he decides to end it all.

He posts his suicide note on Fortune-69.com, his digital playground of choice, but things don’t go exactly as planned. When Trigger unexpectedly wakes up the next morning, he quickly learns two things: at some point during the night he unknowingly posted an inspirational message that was deleted by moderators, and that he now has a legion of anonymous followers who want to follow his every command.

Trigger struggles to find a way to cope with his bizarre family history, a sexually liberated cosplayer who pushes him to the edge of his comfort limit and a mysterious hacker who is intent on changing the world through digital anarchy.

‘Fortune 69’ is the debut novel by David Heath, a US Army combat veteran and author of the ‘Bilateral Comics’ series.

---

Thanks in advance! :)

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Interesting premise. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with it, and it even gives a sense where the story might go. If you're truly worried about it, you can always try to use a headline checker, like http://www.aminstitute.com/headline/ You'll have to type it in by keyword, or piece by piece, but it can lead to some compelling synopsis.

message 3: by David (new)

David Heath (davidheath23) | 7 comments Riley wrote: "Interesting premise. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with it, and it even gives a sense where the story might go. If you're truly worried about it, you can always try to use a headline checker, like ..."

Thanks Riley! I'll do that! :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Emme (Lisa_Emme) | 212 comments "becoming disillusioned by societies" should be "becoming disillusioned by society's"

The third paragraph is a bit confusing. When I first read it I was trying to figure out who in his family was the sexually liberated cosplayer.

message 5: by David (new)

David Heath (davidheath23) | 7 comments Lisa wrote: ""becoming disillusioned by societies" should be "becoming disillusioned by society's"

The third paragraph is a bit confusing. When I first read it I was trying to figure out who in his family was..."

Got it, corrected 'society'. Would you reword the third paragraph completely, or just add in something to clarify that it's three separate characters/elements?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Emme (Lisa_Emme) | 212 comments I think that the third paragraph needs more info. Something to tie it in to what you just described happened to Trigger. He's just experienced this monumental event (tried to kill himself but didn't and instead seems to have become a celebrity in the world he hates). What does this have to do with the family situation, the cosplayer and the hacker?