SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
24-Hour Read-a-Thon > 2015 Final RAT Stats

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Oct 07, 2015 11:14AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments 2015 Final RAT Stats
CONGRATULATIONS! You've completed your RAT! We'd love to hear how it went!

Give us the Scoop:
✓ Number of days/hours spent reading
✓ Number and/or list of books read
✓ Number of pages read

Optional Add'l Info to Share:
✓ Did you find it fun or was it more of a chore to complete?
✓ Is this your first time participating in a Read-a-Thon? If so, would you participate again or was once is enough? If not, how did this year's RAT compare?
✓ Did you choose RAT books in advance? If so, were you able to read all of the books you'd set aside?
✓ Did you have a favorite, quiet reading spot?
✓ Did you find it difficult to stick to your reading schedule? If so, how'd ya overcome it?
✓ Did you discover a new series, author or genre?
✓ Did you read alone or with partner?
✓ Which book format(s) did you use for your RAT? Audio, Paperback/Hardcover (DTB), or eBook OR did you use a mix of formats?

✮✪ PARTICIPANTS' FINAL RAT STATS ✪✮

DO NOT DISTURB: One day (24h)
~n/a~

NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE: Two days (12h)
~n/a~

WILL WORK FOR BOOKS: Three days (8h)
1. Sandra
2. Cheri
✓ 3. ~Melissa~
4. Chrissy

SLOW & STEADY: Four or more days (2-7h)
✓ 1. Raquel
2. Belinda
✓ 3. ladymurmur
✓ 4. D.A.
✓ 5. Carmen
6. Vilda
7. Joann
8. Tina
9. Logan
✓ 10. Melissa (The Lit Queen)
11. Heather (Heatso)
✓ 12. Michelle
13. Rosina

message 2: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic (pumpkinguts) | 13 comments Notes:
• The ones marked with a * are partial reads.
• I used the paperback versions for the page count on these.

Number of days/hours spent reading
Day 1, 8 hours: September 17, 2015 → 1300 pages
Day 2, 8 hours: September 25, 2015 → 1442 pages
Day 3, 8 hours: September 30, 2015 → 1417 pages

Number of pages read
4159 pages

Number and/or list of books read
Tangled (Tangled, #1) by Emma Chase The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2) by Jaye Wells Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6) by Darynda Jones Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor *
Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3) by Jaye Wells The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Magic on the Hunt (Allie Beckstrom, #6) by Devon Monk Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6) by Liz Kessler *

Extras:
Did you find it fun or was it more of a chore to complete?
The first two days were a lot of fun but the last day of 8 hours was more of a chore. I've been under a lot of stress the past week and the last thing I wanted to do was sit down for 8 hours straight but it turned out to be helpful in calming me down.
Is this your first time participating in a Read-a-Thon? If so, would you participate again or was once is enough? If not, how did this year's RAT compare?
Yes, it was my first and I would do it again.
Did you choose RAT books in advance? If so, were you able to read all of the books you'd set aside?
I chose some of them in advance but I have lots of books laying around so I just read whatever I fancied in the moment.
Did you have a favorite, quiet reading spot?
Yes, in my room! I also did some of the reading at my local Dunkin Donuts and my library.
Did you discover a new series, author or genre?
I hadn't read urban fantasy in quite some time and I purposely read mostly UF for this. I had almost forgotten how much I love the urban fantasy worlds and the snarky, tough heroines.
Did you read alone or with partner?
By myself.
Which book format(s) did you use for your RAT? Audio, Paperback/Hardcover (DTB), or eBook OR did you use a mix of formats?
I used a mix of physical copies of books and ebooks.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Oct 01, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 2158 comments Give us the Scoop:
✓ Number of days/hours spent reading
25hrs 3 mins over 7 Days

✓ list of books read
Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8) by Nalini Singh Falling for the P.I. (Still Harbor, #1) by Victoria James Savage Hunger (Heart of the Jaguar, #1) by Terry Spear When Darkness Ends (Guardians of Eternity, #12) by Alexandra Ivy Dragon on Top (Dragon Kin, #0.4) by G.A. Aiken Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1) by Suzanne Wright Wicked Edge (Realm Enforcers, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti Alaric's Perfect Mate (Saber Chronicles #1) by R.E. Butler Harvest Moon (Moon, #4) by Lisa Kessler

✓ Number of pages read
2121 + 2 novella's without a page count

I did, I definitely needed a kick in the bum to pick up a book and read and this helped.

✓ Is this your first time participating in a Read-a-Thon? If so, would you participate again or was once is enough? If not, how did this year's RAT compare?
I think this is my third or fourth year, I love September for the Read a Thon and I do look forward to it.
✓ Did you choose RAT books in advance? If so, were you able to read all of the books you'd set aside?
I didn't, I mostly used Bingo books as a guide this year.
Most of my reading was done late at night in bed after the kids were asleep.
✓ Did you find it difficult to stick to your reading schedule? If so, how'd ya overcome it?
Not so much, I did manage to fit in a few morning hours as the kids are all in school full time now.
I actually used the RAT to get up to date with some current series.
Alone
✓ Which book format(s) did you use for your RAT? Audio, Paperback/Hardcover (DTB), or eBook OR did you use a mix of formats?
I read 8 kindle books and 1 paperback :)

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments It's October 1st and our first batch of RAT stats are in!
WTG, ladies!

Melissa, I'm sorry to hear the last day was a beast, but sounds like it worked out positively in the end. So happy to hear that you enjoyed it and would like to participate again. And, how great that it refreshed your love of UF! :)

Michelle, I love this! "I think this is my third or fourth year, I love September for the Read a Thon and I do look forward to it." Makes me :D

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 773 comments I ended up reading a lot more hours than expected. I had a lot of audiobooks to help out and I was in a challenge that was crazy but so much fun.

Dark Prince 10hrs
Sweet Evil 10hrs
Love Overboard 2hrs
Day Shift 9hrs
The Beach House 6hrs
Blood Rites 7hrs
Eat, Pray, Love 12 1/2hrs
If I Stay 5hrs
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban 10hrs
Dead Beat 14hrs
Madam 1hr
Bang 10hrs
Afterburn & Aftershock 6hrs
Fairest 2hrs
Born in Fire 6 1/2hrs
Morrigan's Cross 5hrs
Wicked Lovely 9hrs
The Five People You Meet in Heaven 1hr
City of Fallen Angels 7 1/2hrs
Bully 4hrs
Ruthless 3 1/2hrs
Forever 1 1/2hrs
The Blood of Angels: Divine Vampires 1 1/2hrs

Total hours: 145

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments WTG, Carmen! That's a lot! I hope you'll join us again in 2016.

message 7: by Raquel (Rocki) (last edited Oct 01, 2015 02:49PM) (new)

Raquel (Rocki) (raquelgabrielle) | 914 comments ✓ Number of days/hours spent reading
I did three 24 hour periods
1. 25 hr 25 min over 7 days
2. 25 hr 45 min over 6 days
3. 26 hr 05 min over 8 days

✓ Number and/or list of books read
The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1) by Kim Harrison The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Sideswiped (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #0.5) by Kim Harrison Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh Fated (Servants of Fate, #3) by Sarah Fine Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) by Bruce Coville Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3) by Keri Arthur Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep

✓ Number of pages read
3,121 pages

I always find reading fun but challenges always keep me motivated to read more.

This is the first time participating in this Read-a-thon and I look forward to the next one.

Yes I did choose my books ahead of time and no I didn't get to them all in the first 24 hour period but I did over all.

I usually read at work or in my bed so those are my two favorite spots.

No it wasn't hard since I always read at work the time that is sometimes hard to keep to is at home because life can get in the way.

I started a new series but for the most part I was playing catch up on some series I want to catch up on by the end of the year or finish by that time.

Alone, though for Scorch Trials my boyfriend did read it as well only because he wanted to see for himself how different the book was from the movie and how the movie could have been better if they followed the book in my opinion.

I used Paperback/Hardcover and eBooks, this is normal for me lately. I can't get into Audio books though because they always seem to put me to sleep or make me tired I don't really like people or things reading to me.

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments WTG, Rocki! I hope you will join us again next year.

I'd heard Scorch Trials wasn't as good (compared to book-to-film as the first). Too bad. Although, I haven't read the book(s).

message 9: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1401 comments Total for the Month of Sept: 117.5 hrs
4 Full Days and 21.5 hrs

>>>> 27 books read
>>>> Books from 11 different series read
>>>> 2 whole series start and finished this month: Corps Security and Reasonable Doubt
>>>> Best Book Read Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop *****"s
>>>> Least Favorite Book Against the Wall (Maverick Montana, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti **'s

Books Read:

Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11) by Lara Adrian Provoked (Dark Protectors, #5) by Rebecca Zanetti Twisted (Dark Protectors, #5.5) by Rebecca Zanetti Strong, Silent Type (Rough Riders #6.5) by Lorelei James Reasonable Doubt Volume 2 (Reasonable Doubt, #2) by Whitney Gracia Williams How to Catch a Cheetah by Liza Kay Reasonable Doubt Volume 3 (Reasonable Doubt, #3) by Whitney Gracia Williams Crossroads by Riley Hart Axel (Corps Security, #1) by Harper Sloan Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly Laurenston Ink and Shadows (Ink and Shadows, #1) by Rhys Ford Cage (Corps Security, #2) by Harper Sloan Divine Intervention by J.C. Wallace In Still Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #3.5) by Dianne Duvall Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4) by Dianne Duvall Beck (Corps Security, #3) by Harper Sloan Cooper (Corps Security, #4) by Harper Sloan Locke (Corps Security, #5) by Harper Sloan Uncaged (Corps Security, #3.5) by Harper Sloan
Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen Ivan (Her Russian Protector, #1) by Roxie Rivera Night Unbound (Immortal Guardians, #5) by Dianne Duvall Shadowed (Dark Protectors, #6) by Rebecca Zanetti Him by Sarina Bowen Marked by Midnight (Midnight Breed #11.5) by Lara Adrian Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Against the Wall (Maverick Montana, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti

✓ Did you find it fun or was it more of a chore to complete? I always have a blast!! I'm just bad about keeping up with updating thread and counting hours read
✓ Is this your first time participating in a Read-a-Thon? If so, would you participate again or was once is enough? If not, how did this year's RAT compare? I think I've participated in this the last three years on a row - I love it and it pushes me to get more down.
✓ Did you choose RAT books in advance? If so, were you able to read all of the books you'd set aside? I did and I got to all of them except one - not bad - some years I've only gotten to one or two planned, lol.
✓ Did you have a favorite, quiet reading spot? I can read anytime anywhere. I do have a chair that I like to sit and read in our family room but I'm comfortable reading anywhere I have some 'free' time.
✓ Did you discover a new series, author or genre? Written in Red- new to me author - this was fantastic!! I loved it - 5♥'s!!
✓ Did you read alone or with partner? alone or my kids and I would hang together and read.
✓ Which book format(s) did you use for your RAT? Audio & eBook's

message 10: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 668 comments ✓ Number of days/hours spent reading8 days, 25 hours
✓ Number and/or list of books read 9 books

✓ Did you find it fun or was it more of a chore to complete? This year it was harder to find swaths of time for reading.
I read a lot more than logged for the RAT, but in smaller half-hour and hour chunks.
I'll definitely give it a try again next year.
I had a few set up - of the 4, I read 3 during RAT hours.
✓ Which book format(s) did you use for your RAT? Audio, Paperback/Hardcover (DTB), or eBook OR did you use a mix of formats? Ebook.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 773 comments Definitely will Steph. It's always fun to see how much reading I can get through in a month. I always aim low in hopes of going high. Thanks this was fun.

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments WTG, ladies! Thanks for joining in this year - hope you'll join us again next Sept.

You're welcome, Carmen, thanks for joining us!

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 07, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1902 comments The Scoop:

✓ Number of days/hours spent reading = 33 hours (goal of 24)
✓ Number and/or list of books read = 5
✓ Number of pages read = 1,871

Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3) by Elizabeth Moon Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Daggerspell (Deverry, #1) by Katharine Kerr Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons Darkspell (Deverry, #2) by Katharine Kerr

It wasn't a chore to complete; I didn't do very good about remembering to track my start time with a book (or to post/total all of them here until today to catchup). Next time, I think I'll do better to track manually on paper then post here on goodreads later.

Not my first RAT, not really different, and I didn't plan books in advance beyond knowing I was doing Bookshelf BINGO so would be using those books to serve double duty. Would do another; challenges like the Readathon and BINGO get me to read those books/authors been planning on for a long time and to clean up the TBR slightly.

Dan Simmons and Katharine Kerr were both new authors for me. I read alone, all ebooks on nook or via overdrive library loan.

message 14: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28246 comments WTG, Debbie! Hope you can join us again next year!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.