Great African Reads discussion

From a Crooked Rib
This topic is about From a Crooked Rib
Tour d'Afrique M-Z Books 2012-16 > Farah: From a Crooked Rib | Somalia (Tour D'Afrique) first read: Sept 2015

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
The poll has not ended yet, but I just came across this fun thing to share:

pre-war music! Side A of Au Revoir, Mogadishu

Liralen | 180 comments Mod
Did anyone else read this? I've been busy with schoolwork and haven't reviewed it yet, but it was an odd and engaging read. I found Ebla to be something of an enigma -- determined to set her own path, but only within certain limits.

message 3: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine (catjackson) | 0 comments I've got the book but haven't picked it up yet.

Zanna (zannastar) | 191 comments already read it, so not joining this read
my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Totally fine to join the discussion if you already read the book! I've also already read it but need my memory poked a little.

Zanna (zannastar) | 191 comments Yeah... I just don't have much to say about it, it was a bit 'meh' for me. I get that he intended to create a low key character... Failure of empathy by me. I guess :-(

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

That's interesting--you gave it four stars yet it was "meh" :)

Liralen | 180 comments Mod
Interesting. I didn't connect all too well with Ebla either, but I thought her choices and thought processes were really interesting -- not what I would have expected, but you can usually see the rationale.

Zanna (zannastar) | 191 comments Well, I admired the book, nothing wrong with it, just wasn't swept away by it personally. haha maybe I should have reread

message 10: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Zanna wrote: "Well, I admired the book, nothing wrong with it, just wasn't swept away by it personally. haha maybe I should have reread"

lol! i often wonder if my ratings will hold up. And sometimes i do revisit reviews and think "what?" lol

Zanna (zannastar) | 191 comments haha!!

life's just too short for re-reading mostly...

Karen (bookertalk) As a work of fiction I felt this was rather a flawed piece of work. But I did admire the author for daring to write about taboo subjects. Here's my review from last year.

http://bookertalk.com/2014/08/26/from...