What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA, young girl is poor, dad is a lumberjack and always away

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin | 2 comments (Spoilers included- don't know how to describe book without, sorry!)

I read this book before 2006 and I believe the cover is black and white.

The young girl lives in a shoddy house with her mom and is usually out wandering around town with her neighbor friend, a boy. She sneaks into his room when he's sleeping in the morning to wake him up (I believe they have sex at some point in the book?)

I don't recall the girl's school life to be easy, either. I think the boy is her only friend and is basically a loner without him, or she's teased in some way.

The girl's dad is a lumberjack and is always away from home. When her father returns for whatever time he's home, her parents can't be bothered and spend all their time in the bedroom.

The author describes the dad's red flannel or how he smells like the woods when he comes home.

I think later in the book the mother becomes pregnant or the father leaves them.

I hope this was enough information! I've been looking for this book for years (loaned it to a friend, you know how that goes). Any help would be amazing! Thank you for reading.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments What time period/location does the story take place?
Part of a series?

message 3: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin | 2 comments Oh gosh, present day, probably. I want to say Illinois or Missouri, or at least that general area.

No, not part of a series.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Kaitlin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Kaitlin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.