Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > top werewolf horror

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Srijan (new)

Srijan Sharma | 7 comments Creme de la creme of werewolf(sentient or otherwise) horror??

message 2: by Srijan (new)

Srijan Sharma | 7 comments will check that out David. is anne rice's werewolf book any good?

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim (tim_taylor) | 55 comments Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour is very good.
The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon

I highly recommend Jonathan Maberry's Pine Deep Trilogy starting with Ghost Road Blues.
Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

Then for a really fun werewolf read, try Jeff Strand's Wolf Hunt
Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments I've only read this book in the series, but it was a great read and a cool take on the werewolf/monster genre. Definitely have to pick up the rest of the books.

Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3) by Larry Correia Monster Hunter Alpha

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments The Howling by Gary Bradner and The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber are classics

message 6: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Srijan wrote: "will check that out David. is anne rice's werewolf book any good?"

I enjoyed The Wolf Gift. I'm not the biggest Anne Rice fan, but I thought the story was pretty cool and featured a nice backstory on the "gift". There's a sequel too, but I haven't read that although I plan to.

message 7: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2702 comments Cripple Wolf by Jeff Burk

It's a short story collection and as far as I can remember, only the eponymous story deals with werewolves, but it's really creative, funny, extreme and worth reading. We're talking about Bizarro here, of course.

message 8: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6492 comments The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry

The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry is a re-telling of the classic Wolfman story and is based on the movie that came out a few years ago. I enjoyed the story.

message 10: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 14 comments Nate wrote: "I enjoyed The Wolf Gift. There's a sequel too, but I haven't read that although I plan to. ..."

I liked The Wolf Gift, the sequel (The Wolves of Midwinter) less.

message 11: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments David wrote: "I really loved Glen DuncThe Last Werewolfan's The Last Werewolf, but didn't manage to finish the next one in the trilogy, Talulla Rising, although I intend to finish it at some point."

I'm not a werewolf fan but I too loved The Last Werewolf. The next book was more of a slog but I couldn't tell you why exactly. Gritty stuff and well written.

message 12: by Nate (last edited Aug 13, 2015 11:54AM) (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Another cool take on werewolves is the High Bloods by John Farris. It's more of a sci-fi/noir blend then horror, but I found it humorous and suspenseful.

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Recently read Ravenous by Ray Garton and it was very good. Werewolves, Garton style.

message 14: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 305 comments Terri wrote: "The Howling by Gary Bradner and The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber are classics"

Classics? Try The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore by Guy Endore or even The Werewolf by Clemence Housman by Clemence Housman. I especially love the alluring White Fell.

message 15: by Bookcrazywoman (new)

Bookcrazywoman | 35 comments Thomas Emson Maneater by Thomas Emson Prey by Thomas Emson Graeme Reynolds High Moor by Graeme Reynolds High Moor 2 Moonstruck by Graeme Reynolds Jim Gavin Arena of the Wolf by Jim Gavin , Gregory Lamberson The Frenzy War (The Frenzy Wolves, #2) by Gregory Lamberson The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1) by Gregory Lamberson The Frenzy Wolves by Gregory Lamberson Brian Easton Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1) by Brian P. Easton Heart of Scars (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter, 2) by Brian P. Easton just to name a few

message 16: by Redrighthand (new)

Redrighthand I recently found out about one I had never heard of, The Hyde Effect The Hyde Effect by Steve Vance and for me it was an exceptionally fun read.

Perhaps my favorite werewolf short story is the ripping yarn "They Bite" by Anthony Boucher The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction by Anthony Boucher

message 17: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 3 comments Halloween made me list my top 5 werewolf novels and they are:

http://susimetsa.blogspot.fi/2015/10/...

But, admittedly, I have not read all of the novels mentioned in this thread. My TBR pile is growing...

message 18: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 3 comments Srijan wrote: "will check that out David. is anne rice's werewolf book any good?"
Anne Rice's novel was a bit uneven. Very dull climax (60+ pages of dialogue) and the werewolf is described more like a were-ape (constantly climbing and jumping from tree to tree.)

message 19: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2702 comments The Werewolf Megapack 22 Classic and Modern Tales of Shape-Shifters! by Jay Lake

International Kindle prices are tricky, but I paid $1.18 for it. Seems worth a try.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam Gillogly (samgillogly) | 10 comments Srijan wrote: "will check that out David. is anne rice's werewolf book any good?"
My feelings on it were similar to Marko's. The Wolf Gift has a lot of good things going for it, but the climax was kind of a let-down...If you asked me today how it ended, I honestly could not tell you. (Granted I listened to the audiobook version, which is very well-narrated, but this was while I was in bed sick for a few days, so I was a bit out of it at times. :P) One thing I did love was her version of the werewolf transformation. It is a pleasurable and almost rapturous experience for the protagonist, one which he is fully conscious during, and remembers afterwards.
The sequel, The Wolves of Midwinter is, I think, only for those who are really hardcore fans of Anne Rice, Christmas, or both. Very little happens plotwise, and it is mostly page after page of heavily descriptive holiday tableaus. You'll get a much better werewolf fix from the first book.

David wrote: Favourite werewolf movie would be Ginger Snaps Ginger Snaps is an excellent movie! I wish someone would turn it into a graphic novel. I think it would translate very well.

message 21: by Char (new)

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
Werewolf done with a sense humor: Wolf Hunt

message 22: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mudmule99) I love werewolf books and I write them.
Loves: Wolfsbane by William W. Johnstone , Breeds by Keith C. Blackmore , Lucifera's Pet by M.T. Murphy , The Forsaken Boy, a werewolf novel by Troy Tradup , Order of the Wolf by Shawn W. Salzman , Ebon Moon by Dennis McDonald , Vengeance of the Werewolf by Mercedes Fox , Poaching the Immortal (Vengeance of the Werewolf, #2) by Mercedes Fox , Life After (Werewolf Domination, #1) by Mercedes Fox , Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago , Nuns And Werewolves by Gary Austin , Coppertown Red (Book I of The Hand That Feeds Trilogy) by Rob Pegler , Devouring Milo by Tonia Brown , Outage (Outage #1) by T.W. Piperbrook , Master of the Hunt A Werewolf Novel  by Nickel Crow , The Sticks by Andy Deane , Feral by Matt Serafini , Pavlov's Dogs (Pavlov's Dogs, #1) by D.L. Snell , Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King , Prowlers (Prowlers, #1) by Christopher Golden

I know there's more and I have a bunch on my To Read shelf

message 23: by Albert (new)

Albert | 443 comments Breeds
Keith C. Blackmore
Nice little twist to the werewolf genre. Lesser known author but I have enjoyed everything of his that I've read to date.

message 24: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Are there any werewolf books here that are not romance?

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Wolfrott wrote: "Are there any werewolf books here that are not romance?"

Actually, I think most on this thread are not. I can say for sure the Ray Garton books are not, nor is Wolf Hunt or The Sticks. I don't think the Graeme Reynolds titles are either.

One more recent release I am very anxious to read is Jonathan Janz's Wolf Land, which is getting great buzz.

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Oh, and I think Animals is one of the best books Skipp and Specter wrote, personally.

message 27: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mudmule99) The ones I listed above are not romance. They might have some in them but they are horror.

message 28: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (moviegirlfreak88) | 10 comments I really loved Hour of the Beast by C. Michael Forsyth! It was fast paced, thrilling and scary!

message 29: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Cool, I'll look into these :D I hate romantic werewolf stories.

message 30: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
Werewolf tales seem to be the genre to be this fall with many new titles being released. The two hardest hitters out of the group, in my opinion, are Wolf Land Wolf Land by Jonathan Janz by Jonathan Janz and Blood And Rain Blood And Rain by Glenn Rolfe by Glenn Rolfe.

Both are fantastic and I recommend you check them out. Others to grab would be:

The Howling The Howling by Gary Brandner by Gary Brandner

The Wolf's Hour The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon by Robert McCammon

Ravenous Ravenous by Ray Garton by Ray Garton

message 31: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2702 comments I just read that this novella is going to be turned into a (mini?) series right now:

Skin Trade Skin Trade by George R.R. Martin by George R.R. Martin

I have to admit I have no idea who this George R. R. Martin fella might be, guess he's a rather unknown author...

;-)