Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Cloverfield

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I'd say the thing I most liked about the film was the fact that you didn't really know anything more about what was going on than the characters themselves. Not a lot of snappy diaglogue, since these poor clowns were running around it circles trying to make sense of the inexplicable. The camcorder thing really threw off a lot of reviewers, and made more than a few folks sick, but I thought it was very workable within the context of the film. All in all, a refreshingly new approach to the monster movie genre.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (JPaulDuncan) | 68 comments I walked away with such an insane headache that I thoroughly hate the very mention of this film.

It reminded me of a first year film student who thinks it's noir to rattle a camera to add "realism". Uh.. it's a monster movie. It's not real. Hold the fraking camera steady.

Gads.

message 3: by Tracy (last edited Feb 21, 2008 06:37AM) (new)

Tracy | 14 comments i think the title was the defense department codename for central park after the "incident." like how in the beginning it starts by stating where the tape was found, etc.

i was hugely impressed by the integration of the CG and the shaky footage. i can't wait to see the making of features so i can figure out how they did it, because the shaking didn't look at all artificial, but rotoscoping that would have been a nightmare. i also really enjoyed a lot of the continuous take sequences, like when they first come up on the army fighting the monster and right after that one girl is bitten.

i have to say though, this movie totally wouldn't have worked as a normal movie, it's been done too many times. it's only the blair witch treatment that made it anything special.

message 4: by K (new)

K | 39 comments Meh, it was okay.

message 5: by Schmitty (new)

Schmitty (tastygreenjelly) I liked it, no one survived i also liked how through out the movie it looked like one continual shot on the camcorder

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) This was a gigantic steaming pile of crap.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I totally agree with you Rob.I remember thinking while watching it that it reminded me of the 9/11 footage and I thought that the special effects were far more interesting in the context of seeing only what they were seeing.Very cool.Unfortunately about 2/3s of the way through the movie I started feeling ill.I thought how weird,the popcorn's making me sick.It took a moment for me to realize I was suffering from motion sickness!So had to watch through my fingers a lot, haven't done that since I saw The Exorcist.Lol!

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) "Care to expand on that Tressa? "

Rob, I don't think I need to. ;-)

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie I liked this movie. It was a cheesy horror flick, but that's why it was fun. I don't care to see it again, once is enough. But I liked some of the scenes like in the tunnels. It was like Blair Witch.. but I guess that's because Blair Witch was the first mainstream movie like this as far as I know so of course I compare Cloverfield to it.

I agree with Rob, I wish I would've seen it in the theater!

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I thought it was alright but like a lot of scary movies these days it would've been nice to have a bit of light in places. Sure it's setting is at night, but can we please see what is happening most of the time?

message 11: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments You have to watch this movie at least 2 times to get what the hell is going on but I didn't think it was as bad as I heard. It did seem a little 9/11 ish but I mean, it's a monster attacking the city, what else would it look like?

Hud provided a lot of comedic relief because I couldn't deal with Rob really trying to go get Beth despite a big ass monster from nowhere attacking the city.

message 12: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments I'm from San Francisco and I've never seen anything like that myself but I really expected it to look that way considering it was a monster that sorta was like Godzilla. It was vivid and I know it might have upset a lot of people but I thought that's what made the movie seem so real to me.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments I loved Cloverfield - it was everything I go to "escapist" movies for. It was fun, silly, scary, intriguing and well made. The camera movement did not bother me at all, and made it that much more fun. I kind of wish they had hidden the monster a little longer, but other than that, great fun flick!

message 14: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments The camera didn't really bother me either Rebecca, which was a pleasant surprise. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I'm still so pissed that everybody went with Rob's dumb ass but I guess the movie would have been over if they'd done that.

message 15: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments CLOVERFIELD REVIEW: Intellectually I should dislike this movie because I can find a hundred flaws in logic and science…but I really enjoyed this flick and became immersed in the character’s drama and emotional conflicts amid this unbelievable catastrophe. What differentiates this from BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (though both films share a common P.O.V. structure) is the emotional elements are communicated visually and through realistic (re: sometimes inane) dialogue…not through annoying voice over “documentary” narration. The viewer becomes a part of this adventure and feels the rush of running alongside and experiencing the monstrous battle with the protagonists. I also liked the cross-cutting between the old tape and the current story as the past leaks through and sheds light on the relationship between Rob and Lily. The writer plays with nearly every horror convention but spins them in surprising directions; for example, one of the girls wears her high-heels the entire film…but she never stumbles or falls down while being chased. A purely visceral movie that packs a wallop and leaves your head spinning; just don’t think too much about the facts! Have fun. (B)

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 19 comments I didn't like it, actually wished I hadn't wasted the time to see it, and I was really looking forward to it. I guess it was ok if you generally go for that genre, but I like something that makes you think, and I was really expecting...more...

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments But you can't expect something more from a movie like Cloverfield, that's the fun of it. and as for going with Rob - that too is a convention of horror movies. The main characters always always so something ridiculously stupid. If they did the smart thing there would be no movie.

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4540 comments I watched this last night on DVD, and enjoyed it mainly. A weird combination of really brilliant (the monster lumbering around NYC, the handheld camera, the lack of explanation about where that monster had come from, etc.) and really banal (mainly that love relationship at the film's center, I mean really).

I just wish there'd been a bit more to it. It felt rather thin, and seemed to expect me to have more interest in its batch of upwardly mobile twenty-somethings than I did. The banality of some of the characters came off less as any kind of statement about the characters, and more like, well, just plain banality, they were a batch of disposable types like you've seen in any Count The Victims type of horror movie.

Some seriously cool stuff, though, and they did capture that panicky city feel.

message 19: by Candy (new)

Candy | 21 comments I totally loved this movie and keep meaning to pick up a dvd copy of it. I loved how it began with a hip N.Y. party and that the story relied on the contents of the video tape.

I thought it was brilliant how the partygoers had accidently started recording over a pre-existing shot video...and that pre-recorded video sometimes appeared during the crisis. Suddenly there was a sunny day between with recorded material of the date interupts the action.

Then, if that wasn't enough...at the very end of the taped crisis with the city, night and the monster...the tape suddenly cuts to the sunny afternoon date on coney Island. As the couple is riding a ferris wheel (I think it was the ferris wheel) we see in the background something fall from space into the Hudson River, or ocean way behind them.

Brilliant!

And one of the coolest looking monsters, ever!

message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 302 comments Has anyone here seen the movie Monster? It's a film that claims that a so-called earthquake in Japan was actually a giant tentacled monster, and the film itself was footage from a camera owned by some American filmmakers who got caught up in it and were never seen again.

message 21: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments CLOVERFIELD is a guilty pleasure, as you can see from my above post. This is one I could revisit every few years on Halloween, sharing with friends who haven't seen it on a big screen in 7.1 audio! The bass thump is amazing. But I laugh when I see tanks rumbling through downtown NYC within an hour of the monster's appearance, like the Army has a base in the center of the city for just such occassions:) I rarely recommend films that insult my intelligence but this one has its moments of fun...and neat SPFX. The scene from above as the creature rips through downtown NY is cool, though I wish they had only given us momentary glimpses instead of full-frontal.

For a very good monster flick, I recommend everyone rent the South Korean film THE HOST!

message 22: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments OMG CLOVER FIELD IS SUCH AN AWESOME MOVIE!!! My second oldest brother ate nachoes before watching this movie at the theater, and he got motion sickness and threw up so he was warning us before we watched it at my house that we shouldn't eat before it but we were fine lolz.

message 23: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments It's surprising how a number of posts in this thread likes the movie. I personally thought it was a waste of my time. I did like the idea of the videotape and the shots of the crisis cutting in between footage of happier days. And the monsters were quite cool. I just didn't care for the characters. They were a little too bland and I couldn't care less what happened to them.

message 24: by Tressa (last edited Feb 16, 2009 11:49AM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) I agree with Tom and Maryse. The reason I didn't care for this movie was the generic, shrill, twentysomethings. Is there some rule that says all boys and girls between the ages of 20 and 30 should dress and look alike? I can't even tell most young people on TV or movies apart.

They couldn't have thrown in some small, charismatic children or some old people for variety? I don't want to watch indulgent twentysomethings no matter how fantastic the creature is at the end.

This movie was a waste of my time.

message 25: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments How was it a waste of your time?

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) I thought the movie sucked; that's how it was a waste of my time.