The Sword and Laser discussion

Uprooted
This topic is about Uprooted
2015 Reads > Uprooted: Pacing [Full Spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan | 363 comments Hey everyone!

What does everyone think of the pace of Uprooted - especially from the capital onwards?

I thought the beginning of the novel up until Agnieszka leaving the tower for the first time, was extremely slow but picked then up significantly and at the time of the process against the queen reached an intense break-neck pace without much release pretty much to the end (so much so that the sex scene seemed to me somewhat out of place).

I think I enjoyed the pace quite a bit, but was a little disappointed that the protagonists could for large parts of the books only react to the twists and turns leading everything downhill and never had a clever plan on their own on how to make things better.

What did you think?

message 2: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 24 comments I noticed this change in pace as well. The first few pages were alright but from her first day in the tower up to the point where she went out to save the village it was too slow for me as well. I couldn't bring myself to care about her failing at learning magic and her hating the Dragon although it was obvious that they were going to fall in love eventually. I was actually a little bored and during that part and stopped reading it for a while.

The sex scene didn't seem out of place for me at the moment but now that you say it ... Well but it somehow seems to be the "typical" place for a sex scene with all the death and fighting and life-threatening danger around. I can't think of any examples right now but it somehow feels that many books/movies put a sex scene/first kiss scene somewhere at this point of the story.

message 3: by Olaf (last edited Aug 26, 2015 12:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olaf | 31 comments I liked the pace of the book precisely because it felt so atypical while it was very familiar at the same time.

And even though I didn't realize it before, I love that Agnieszka is more of reactionary character. Some of the recent books I've read had characters that weren't reactionary at all, that had they own complex agendas, that made planned and ploted.

This felt refreshing and I see it more as a moral of the story: "Sometimes life throws things at you and you have to make best with it" than a flaw (Fairy tales usualy had a moral, so I feel that my interpetation is somewhat fitting, even if Mrs. Novik didn't think of it)

Olga wrote: "The sex scene didn't seem out of place for me at the moment but now that you say it ... Well but it somehow seems to be the "typical" place for a sex scene with all the death and fighting and life-threatening danger around. I can't think of any examples right now but it somehow feels that many books/movies put a sex scene/first kiss scene somewhere at this point of the story. "

I think you're thinking about this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...

I didn't mind the sex scene since people actualy have those impulses that lead them to have sex amidst death and destruction (it reminds me about the stories about Warsaw Uprising in 1944 during WW2, where fighters were having sex whenever and wherever they could, but it's was frowned upon when someone mentioned it)

message 4: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 24 comments That's exactly what I was thinking about. This site seems to have a trope for everything.

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Olga wrote: "That's exactly what I was thinking about. This site seems to have a trope for everything."

They certainly try.

message 6: by Olaf (last edited Aug 26, 2015 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olaf | 31 comments It's best to not spend too much time on tvtropes cause you might actualy spoil yourself when it comes to plot (knowing what trope is used is a kind of spoiler).

I prefer to read tvtropes pages of things I've already seen/read so I can check out if there is something that I missed.

Jocelyn No (jocelynno) | 5 comments I also liked that Agnieszka was more reactionary. I felt like her magic-use was rooted in her experience gleaning from the forest, and that maybe she'd been using her magic for years and years, without anyone noticing (Kachia says as much at one point).

Observing and reacting to the forest would be part of that skill, and so, part of her personality. And pretty appropriate for a 17-year-old.