2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Delicious Foods
This topic is about Delicious Foods
. Week 7: Nonhuman Characters > Delicious Foods by James Hannaham

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments It's a little disorienting at first, but the nonhuman character is crack cocaine - and he's a narrator named Scotty! Very interesting. It's more about a huge corporation involved in modern-day slavery - it's based on a true event taking place in Florida in 1992.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments I just read this book and loved it, although the story is about slavery. So scary that this could happen in our lifetime. But then again, a lot of things are.

I loved Eddie. And at first I thought Scotty was Darlene's drug friend or pimp. Some very funny lines there. My new favorite word is "drinkaholic".

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments Yes, in my other book group we were discussing how confusing Scotty was at first. And Scotty is very funny.

I like Eddie, too, but I'm also looking at him from the perspective of the author deconstructing the "magical Negro". I have compassion for him - he was neglected his whole life.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments Yes, the worst of the neglect came from Darlene, even before Nat passed. Practically no one survives unscathed with a mother like that!
I can't believe this is based on a true story. How awful.

Have you read anything else by James Hannaham? I just won a copy of Welcome to Braggsville by T. Geronimo Johnson, about the South, which sounds pretty provocative, too.

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments So very true! It says a lot about how grief can destroy a person.
Congratulations on your win! Hope it's a good read. I may have read a review of Welcome to Braggsville a while back & it might be on my to-read list. Southern stories have to have elements of truth & compassion for me to enjoy them, since the South is fraught with so many complexities.
Delicious is my first novel by Hannaham & if he can create such original characters as Scotty, I'd like to see what else he can do.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments He also wrote God Says No, but I see it got mixed reviews. I'm not so crazy about the plot, either. Even so, I might give it a whirl. I really like his style. And I love an author who can weave a bit of philosophy into their writing. The kind of one-liner insights that make you go, "hmm...yes!" Hannaham seems to do that beautifully.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments Thanks for adding me as a friend, by the way

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments You're right about God Says No's plot. Given his different spin on story elements, it might be worth the read. What I'm fascinated with is his friendship with artist Kara Walker. She did his Delicious cover & she is absolutely amazing. Have you seen her work?

And you're welcome about the friend add. I love a good book discussion & it seems like you do, too.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments No, but I will look Kara Walker up. Thank you for the tip. I loved the cover!

On another note, I don't know how I will get through the rest of the books I selected for various topics on the challenge. They are quite an undertaking - Moby-Dick, Wuthering Heights, etc. Books of old are so hard to get through, I find. I just started The Group for the Book Published the Year You Were Born - it's radically sexual for the 1960's, although it's about a bunch of snobbish bluebloods.

Yes, I love book discussions. Glad to find someone who shares that passion.

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments You're welcome.

And I agree, the books of old are a challenge to get through. I have Moby-Dick on my list as well - it's my book started but didn't finish. I started it in college but resorted to the Cliff Notes due to time constraints. Older books tend to be quite dense. Sometimes the best way to get through them is via audiobook. I would have never finished Anna Karenina otherwise.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments That's a good idea. And I bet Moby-Dick is a real cheapie on iTunes. The only audio book I've "read" was The Things They Carried, which I loved. Bryan Cranston (whom I'm in love with) did a fantastic job with the narration.

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 66 comments Lol, he has a nice voice, so I'm sure it was a real pleasure. I didn't even consider iTunes. I have a small credit, so I'll check it out. Thanks.