The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) The Thief question

References to Howl´s Moving Castle?
Bipeda Implume Bipeda Implume Aug 12, 2015 01:56PM
Hi everyone! After reading this book, I read somewhere that the autor is a huge fan and was inspired by Diana Wynne Jones; and that there are several references to Howl´s book.
I didn´t see enyone, maybe because I wasn´t looking for them.
What about you? Have you found any?

Echoing what people said about "what a lie that was," the Thief felt totally influenced by Howl's Moving Castle. I didn't know the author was a DWJ fan before I read the book but it became very clear in the text. I think Gen's entire personality, just how dramatic he was, how worried he was about his hair, how fixated he was on others' clothes, screamed Howl. Early on he's dramatically sprawled across his bench in prison hoping to make some kind of impression on the people walking in on him (I can't remember the exact words used) and it just felt like something Howl would do. The snark as well, really spoke to DWJ's writing.

I read this book years ago and don't remember much, but I remember that it was really interesting in the perspective of a person that is looked down upon.

Kirabohm (last edited Aug 24, 2015 11:10AM ) Aug 24, 2015 11:09AM   0 votes
It's one sentence. Early on Gen says something about prison being not that bad, and then later mutters to himself, "What a lie that was." Howl says the same thing at some point in DWJ's book. (I was so proud of myself when I spotted that!)

She dedicated at least one of the books to Diana Wynne Jones. I think the fourth.

deleted member May 28, 2016 06:27PM   0 votes
I had always wondered what the reference was as well, and thought it might be when Gen says "All my beauty, gone," but it's good to finally know it's "What a lie that was" lol. I would not have grasped that myself.

I had heard that she loves Diana Wynne Jones, but I was unaware of any references to Howl's Moving Castle. I actually just re-read The Thief today, but I didn't catch anything like that.