Tudor History Lovers discussion

The Taming of the Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #11)
This topic is about The Taming of the Queen
Group Reads > September 2015 - The Taming of the Queen, by Philippa Greggory

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments The winner of our Group Read poll for September was the new novel by Philippa Greggory, The Taming of the Queen, which is due to be published August 13th. It should be widely available at bookstores and libraries, in hardcover, ebook, and audible formats (and possibly paperback in the UK?).

This fourth novel in her Tudor Court series has as its subject Katherine Parr.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments That sounds interesting: Katherine Parr is rarely examined.

message 3: by Naiad (new)

Naiad Lyne | 20 comments Skye wrote: "That sounds interesting: Katherine Parr is rarely examined."
There was a novel Queen's Gambit, also about KP, but I haven't read it.

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 4 comments Queen's Gambit was excellent. I loved it.

Arwen | 52 comments I liked Jean Plaidy's The Sixth Wife a lot.

message 6: by Naiad (new)

Naiad Lyne | 20 comments There are actually several books on KP:

Judith Arnopp's Intractable Heart
Sandra Byrd's The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr

message 7: by NayNay (last edited Aug 13, 2015 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Naiad wrote: "Skye wrote: "That sounds interesting: Katherine Parr is rarely examined."
There was a novel Queen's Gambit, also about KP, but I haven't read it."

Thanks, Naiad.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments NayNay wrote: "Also......

Intractable Heart A story of Katheryn Parr by Judith Arnopp Intractable Heart: A story of Katheryn Parr by Judith Arnopp"

This sounds good, too.

message 10: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments The book read for September is not yet released in the U.S .
Yet . When does the read start ?

message 11: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments Star wrote: "The book read for September is not yet released in the U.S .
Yet . When does the read start ?"

The read starts in September and the book is released on the 25th of August. Won't be joining in on this one. I'll wait a few months until it's 2.99$ on Bookbub rather than paying full price for a new release.

message 12: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments I have not heard of Bookburb . I would like to join because I have never read with group reads .

message 13: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments Sorry ,Bookburb .

message 14: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments Bookbub

message 15: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments Bookbub.com is a site that lets you choose your favourite genres and then sends you a daily email to let you know which 4 star books in those genres are on sale for $3.99 or less. It's an amazing site.

http://landers.bookbub.com/covers_ca/...

message 16: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments Wow ! You have just opened my eyes to something .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments Perhaps your local libraries will have it?

message 18: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments That is a womderful idea .

message 19: by Star (new) - added it

Star | 54 comments wonderful

message 20: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 7 comments I have already finished it and so will wait when the discussion begins...One point-I wasn't disappointed:)

message 21: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Perhaps your local libraries will have it?"

Would love to get it from my local library but mine is in Texas and I'm in Canada for the month. Will just have to join next month's read. :D

message 22: by Janina (new) - added it

Janina Going to wait until the price comes down on kindle sure it will be worth the wait.

message 23: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine (catleo) | 100 comments just ordered it today! hardback was way cheaper than kindle version???
should arrive by the weekend, I'm working lots of night shift so should get through it easily enough!
looking forward to joining in!

message 24: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 7 comments Anyone living in Australia the best place to buy it is at Big W it only cost me $16 a good price!

message 25: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine (catleo) | 100 comments The hard back copy was only £4.99 from Amazon UK this week so well worth it! I was going to try and get it anyway but at that price couldn't not!!

Misfit | 161 comments Skye wrote: "That sounds interesting: Katherine Parr is rarely examined."

The Ivy Crown by Mary Luke.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 6 comments Catherine wrote: "The hard back copy was only £4.99 from Amazon UK this week so well worth it! I was going to try and get it anyway but at that price couldn't not!!"

£4.99? for hardback?! I wish I'd looked on Amazon. I just paid £9 in Tesco for it.

message 28: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine (catleo) | 100 comments Yes! It still is that price! I couldn't believe it, I'd looked in waterstones and it was full price.

Regina Sebring | 1 comments I'm super excited about this book. I'm 80 pages in already.

message 30: by Tiiu (new)

Tiiu | 25 comments I am enjoying it too Imagine living with Bluebeard There is a book out claiming that Henry wanted to marry Catherine Willoughby (Brandon) as his 7th wife but she was too spirited

Jasmine I'm about 200 pages in and hooked. I'm enjoying the way Elizabeth is portrayed even though she is a minor character in the book. The descriptions of her are very believable.

Jennilee Big Mama Loving the book, I cant put it down. I especially like how it gets into detail about Henry's leg ailment and how loving Kateryn was to the kids.

Jennilee Big Mama Tiiu wrote: "I am enjoying it too Imagine living with Bluebeard There is a book out claiming that Henry wanted to marry Catherine Willoughby (Brandon) as his 7th wife but she was too spirited"

If you find out what the book is called please let me know im interested in reading that. Is it based on fact or fiction.

message 34: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments Jennilee wrote: "Tiiu wrote: "I am enjoying it too Imagine living with Bluebeard There is a book out claiming that Henry wanted to marry Catherine Willoughby (Brandon) as his 7th wife but she was too spirited"

If ..."

I've seen that suggested several times. I don't remember the exact novels but I want to say one was Queen's Gambit by Freemantle. I might be wrong but I think that's the one that suggested that Parr knew Henry was already looking and attempted to warn Cat Brandon but Brandon already knew as well and wanted nothing to do with him. It wasn't like she could say no but she could make herself 'unavailable' if needed. I'd like to know once and for all (view spoiler)

Jennilee Big Mama Kimber wrote: "Jennilee wrote: "Tiiu wrote: "I am enjoying it too Imagine living with Bluebeard There is a book out claiming that Henry wanted to marry Catherine Willoughby (Brandon) as his 7th wife but she was ..."

Thank you

message 36: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariafury) I am a Philippa Gregory fan and have been for years. I know there are complaints sometimes that she is not 'historically accurate' 100% of the time but I think people forget she writes fiction! I enjoyed this book as Katherine Parr having outlived Henry makes her one of my favourite of his queens.

message 37: by Tiiu (new)

Tiiu | 25 comments Henry viii's Last Love. By David Baldwin is the title of the recently released work

Jasmine I finished the book. Overall I really liked it, although there was one scene that I had a bit of trouble believing. I thought the portraying of Henry VIII was incredibly accurate. He was a cruel, fickle ruler and she did a good job of showing just how two-faced he could be.

Laura | 20 comments Started reading this one over the weekend and it has been a pretty quick read so far. Catherine Parr is one of the queens that I've read the lease about. She appears to have been an amazing woman for her time and not just because she survived Henry. By the time she married him, his character was pretty much known and she would have to do a neat little dance to survive. From what I've read so far, it seems like she was able to do that and also to build a family with his children that didn't exist before.

Jennilee Big Mama Amazing book, philippa greggory does it again. Loved the book couldn't put it down. Only thing I thought it was missing was the fairytale ending were Katherine and Thomas got married lol but other then that I also like how much his kids were described in this book.