Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > September 2015 Globe-Trotting Adventure Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Oct 11, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4707 comments Mod
Our September group read theme is "Globe-Trotting Adventure"! Feel free to nominate books that you feel gives us the globe-trotting high and kickbutt action to make our September back to our normal fall routine far from bluesy!

Considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).

The poll will go up on August 19th.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4707 comments Mod
I would love to see what books people nominate.

message 3: by Feliks (last edited Aug 12, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I nominate the true life story of the adventures of Henry de Monfried, a French middle-class businessman who abruptly decided to take up gun-running and drug-smuggling in the 1920s, in the Mediterranean. Inspiration for the 'Adventures of TinTin'.

The book is: Hashish A Smuggler's Tale by Henry de Monfreid
Hashish: A Smuggler's Tale.
It's available in several formats for between $3-$7. Seems to be full of adventure, insight, exotic landscapes, (and the spice of knowing it's a true story).

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Brainrush Brainrush (Brainrush, #1) by Richard Bard

A great globe-trotting adventure that I can highly recommend!

When terminally ill combat pilot Jake Bronson emerges from an MRI with extraordinary cognitive powers, everyone wants a piece of his talent including Battista, one of the world s most dangerous terrorists. To save his love and her autistic child, Jake is thrust into a deadly chase that leads from the canals of Venice through Monte Carlo and finally to an ancient cavern in the Hindu Kush Mountains of Afghanistan where Jake discovers that his newfound talents carry a hidden price that threatens the entire human race. An all-out, unrelenting thrill ride that will leave you breathless, Richard Bard s debut novel is a spine tingling adventure marrying the political thriller with science fiction to extraordinary effect. An original weave of current events bound by colorful locations and cutting-edge technology, it is a must-read for fans of Michael Crichton, James Rollins, Clive Cussler, and Brad Thor. The dynamic mix of fast-paced action and thought provoking soul challenges the reader to keep pace with every sharp turn and shocking twist. Acclaimed by fans of action, sci-fi, and political thrillers alike, Brainrush is one of the most innovative and entertaining books of the year.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments I'll nominate The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth. Cat Shannon is a really interesting guy who bops around Britain, Europe, the Mediterranean, & parts of Africa with his men as they plan to take over a country.

From the Wikipedia entry:
Forsyth draws upon his journalistic experiences in reporting the 1970 Biafran War between Biafra and Nigeria; though fictional, the African 'Republic of Zangaro', is based upon Equatorial Guinea, a former Spanish colony....

... and clearly alludes to Forsyth's time in Biafra; the dark tone and cynical plot of the story stem from the same source....

... While researching the story of The Dogs of War, Frederick Forsyth pretended to be preparing a coup d'état against Equatorial Guinea on behalf of the Igbo people whom he passionately supports; he was told it would cost 240,000 US dollars.

...Forsyth's African activities of that time are an extremely controversial subject, and it is difficult to separate fact and fiction...

There is more in the Wikipedia entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog...
but I suggest that you don't read it until after the novel. Spoilers. Great story & guessing how much is true is part of the fun.

It's readily available new & used on Amazon & in Kindle format. Audio versions are also available. The movie starred Christopher Walken as Cat (Jamie in the movie) Shannon & Tom Berrenger was in it, too. It's a good movie, but doesn't hold a candle to the book.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I vote for The Perfect Assassin.

Description: One perfect shot will change the course of history. Christine Palmer, a young American doctor sailing solo across the Atlantic, makes an incredible discovery - a man narrowly clinging to his life in the frigid waters. But there is much more to this desperate survivor than meets the eye. David Slaton is a Kidon - a highly-trained, highly-precise, and highly-dangerous assassin. The Kidon is both the hunter and the hunted, and he and Christine are in grave danger. Will they win in this race against time?With the precision of a sharpshooter, author Ward Larsen weaves an intricate tale of espionage and intrigue.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It closes on August 26th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Good moderating there, Book Huntress

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Feliks wrote: "Good moderating there, Book Huntress"

:)

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 31, 2015 06:23PM) (new)

Since we ended up with a tie between Brainrush and The Perfect Assassin and it's the end of the month, we'll read both books.

We'll tackle them in alphabetical order. In September, we'll read Brainrush, and in October we'll read The Perfect Assassin.

Thanks for everyone who participated in the nomination process.

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Lisa P wrote: "Brainrush is $1.99 for Kindle now.
http://www.amazon.com/Brainrush-Book-..."

Thanks. I just bought it.

message 13: by James (new)

James Badesto | 1 comments I nominate Eteka: Rise of the Imamba by Ben Hinson. It's actually a collection of stories that center around a prostitute in Nigeria and two African mercenaries, and takes place over two timelines (the Cold War and 90s) and also takes place across many locations around the world. Very unique and different, and written from an African perspective. Lots of action to keep you entertained as well.