Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

❤ READ and REVIEW > What is RaR?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vega_girl (last edited Aug 12, 2015 09:44AM) (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Read and review is a way for our group to help authors get the word on their books! Authors agree to send a certain number of books out in exchange for honest reviews on Goodreads. Posting on Amazon and other sites is also awesome!! Readers get to read more books!!! Yay!! It's a win, win!

Rules

1. Readers are only allowed one review at a time. Mostly because we all get sidetracked and we all know how big our lists are:)
2. Reviews must be posted with in 21 days. Thats how long the library lets you keep a book.
3. Reviews must be posted on Goodreads at minimum, but preferably also on other book review sites or bloggs and of course Amazon.
4. If you are given a book you CANNOT share without the Author's consent. It's just not cool peeps.
5. Review cannot be hateful. We are doing this as a fun way to get active with our authors. Constructive criticism is great. Just plain mean will get you kicked out.

Can't wait to get started!

Thanks

Erika, Chris & Barbara

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) (anovelglimpse) | 6020 comments Mod
Sounds fun!

message 3: by Vega_girl (last edited Aug 12, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Right?!?!? We have seen a lot of other group doing this and we figured we are so active it could only be awesome!!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7142 comments Mod
I agree! It will be really fun!!

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika | 9482 comments Totally agree. I hope we get some takers.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Spaulding | 2 comments I'm in!!

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (weecahp) | 53 comments I'm in!!!!!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan This is great!! Im in too!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 2 comments this looks so fun!! can't wait (:

message 10: by Jodee (new)

Jodee | 1 comments sounds like alot of fun. I 'm on

message 11: by Vega_girl (last edited Aug 16, 2015 07:30AM) (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Okay ladies now we have several books ready for RaR. So go to the thread of the book you choose and sign up to receive your copy. Don't forget to only do one at a time. This way we can ensure authors get some reviews done!! LOL!! After you finish the first review come back and do it again!! I am super excited for this guys!!!!

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (smwhite27) | 8 comments I think this sounds like a great idea. I am in!

message 13: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Urbanski I am so excited count me in!

message 14: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Urbanski How do we sign up?

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 417 comments Ollie wrote: "How do we sign up?"

Each book has a separate thread in this folder, just reply in the thread you want.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Emily wrote: "Ollie wrote: "How do we sign up?"

Each book has a separate thread in this folder, just reply in the thread you want."

Thanks for responding, Emily!!! :D

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (smwhite27) | 8 comments Hi Everyone!! I completed my first review and book "Once Upon a Road Trip". I have posted my review to Goodreads and Amazon, but I wanted to put it out here for any of you that selected the other books. You should read it, it is really great!!

REVIEW:

I am going to start with two disclaimers: First, I was provided a free copy of this book for my honest review. Second, because I have a Kindle, it opened up right to Chapter 1 and I started reading. I read all the way to the "Questions for Book Club Discussion" and that is when I realized that this was a memoir, which honestly, COMPLETELY changed my view of the book.

Overview: This is the story of a girl named Angeli who set off on a road trip to "find herself". She had just graduated high school and wanted to explore more of the world than her small Minnesota town and decided to take a road trip and visit some friends she had made in an online writing group, most of whom she had never met before. A few chapters in you realize the timing of this book is 2002, which explains some of the things that, today, seem almost foreign (she used maps and not GPS, didn't have a cell phone, hadn't Skyped or Facetimed with these people). I did find it a little strange that most of the people she would be meeting were guys, but she mentioned earlier in the book that she always go along better with guys than girls, which is something I can relate to. She meets a slew of interesting people along her travels, and some not so interesting, and learns a lot about herself and others.

Opinion: As I was reading this book I had a lot of moments where I was like "Huh, what?" It felt like the author was going off in tangents or randomly sharing things about the characters that left me a little confused. (Again, this was before I was aware that it was a memoir that was written in the third person). In the beginning it seemed like the main character was going to go into the military, was 'dating' someone that was stationed oversees, and had a semi-functional home life. Then one of the people she meets points out she is religious, which I wouldn't have known if they wouldn't have said it. She focuses a lot on September 11th at the beginning of the book, but then never really mentioned it again after she visited the site. As I read it, I felt like I gained lots of insights into the people that Angeli met, but not so much into her. At the conclusion, she seemed like she had gained this whole new understanding of herself, but as a reader, I really didn't.

Once I got to the end though and discovered that this was in fact a memoir, it changed my opinions a lot. It was written based off of journal pages and memories, and we tend to forget that to someone on the outside doesn't know us as well as we know ourselves, so things that are MAJOR to us, may mean nothing to the person reading. Which is why many of the people the main character meets are more memorable than others, and some even more so than she herself is. I think I overall would have liked it better if it had been written in the 1st person, but I understand the author's decision to use the 3rd person POV. It doesn't detract from the story, just gives it a different feel.

Final Review: I actually ended up loving this book. It made me think about that time in my life and what if I had done something similar. I liked Angeli a lot, and I really like a lot of the people she met along the way. I also seriously hated some and if I had any idea who they were in real life, I would hunt them down and give them a piece of my mind. And one of the best ways to know a book is good, is if you care (good or bad) about the characters, and I definitely do. I am going to purchase the second book because I am interested in seeing what happens know that Angeli has made some major decisions and changes in her life, so again a great indicator of a good book. I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes coming of age, romance, humor, or really just likes great writing and a good story.

message 18: by Vega_girl (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Awesome Sherry!! Thank you for that!!

message 19: by Cora (new)

Cora Graham (coragraham) | 15 comments I've signed up, but I need my cover updated. I think I'll need a Mod to do it.

Thanks!

message 20: by Chris (new)

Cora wrote: "I've signed up, but I need my cover updated. I think I'll need a Mod to do it.

Thanks!"

I switched it to the other cover. Please let me know if that was the one you wanted to display?

message 21: by Cora (new)

Cora Graham (coragraham) | 15 comments Chris wrote: "Cora wrote: "I've signed up, but I need my cover updated. I think I'll need a Mod to do it.

Thanks!"

I switched it to the other cover. Please let me know if that was the one you wanted to display?"

Yes thank you!

message 22: by Chris (new)

Cora wrote: "Chris wrote: "Cora wrote: "I've signed up, but I need my cover updated. I think I'll need a Mod to do it.

Thanks!"

I switched it to the other cover. Please let me know if that was the one you w..."

Sure!!! :D

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Iles | 10 comments Hi all, is anyone there Who wants to read and review my YA novella? It's on KU, but I'd like to send to you two e-book copies https://www.amazon.com/Tiptoe-Pasticc...Sarah Iles/B01KR7J7P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472029066&sr=8-1&keywords=Sarah+iles

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (smwhite27) | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi all, is anyone there Who wants to read and review my YA novella? It's on KU, but I'd like to send to you two e-book copies https://www.amazon.com/Tiptoe-Pasticc......"

Hi Sarah! I always love reading new books and would be happy to read the novella and do a review. Thanks!

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Iles | 10 comments Sherry wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hi all, is anyone there Who wants to read and review my YA novella? It's on KU, but I'd like to send to you two e-book copies https://www.amazon.com/Tiptoe-Pasticc......"
... Oh Sherry thx.
Let me know how can I send it to you. Write to me at sarahilesauthor@gmail.com or via goodreads in my pg.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Iles (other topics)