What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Adult/YA book with powers involved?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecii (new)

Cecii | 11 comments I'm looking for books with strong female lead character with abilities of some sort. preferably adult but YA is good too. LOVED Choosen thief by scarlet dawn, Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep, also loved First World series by jaymin eve, Richelle Meads Vampire Academy and Bloodline books we're great as well as Jennifer l. Armentrouts Half blood series and her titan series.

message 2: by Ida (last edited Aug 12, 2015 04:11AM) (new)

Ida | 3 comments I recommend the Mistborn trilogy, anything by Brandon Sanderson really. Vin is the female hero in the mistborn books and she kicks ass, she's really awesome :)

EDIT: The books are told in multiple POVs though, so Vin is not the only narrator.

message 3: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Aug 12, 2015 11:16AM) (new)

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Witch World series by Andre Norton. While a long series (there are 30+ books in it) the books are separated into smaller collections.

Actually, many of Norton's books would qualify. Just check to see who is the MC in the book. And even in one of the subseries, the "voice" can change from one book to the next, and sometimes even one chapter to the next. She was fond of writing books from the PoV of both hero and heroine.

message 5: by Sophie (new)

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Rosemary and Rue is the first book in the October Daye series. October is half-human, half-faerie so she has some faerie powers.

message 7: by Geli (new)

Geli | 18 comments I definitely second the Rosemary and Rue recommendation. It has the best fae powers and a rich world building around the fae.

Also I would add Magic Bites if you want a strong heroine. She is a mercenary, great with a sword and has some magical abilities that are better explained in the later books. The series also plays in a magical, post-technic-apocalypse setting. But the authors have managed to give everything their very unique touch and spin, that makes the whole world interesting.

Last and my personal favourite: Moon Called She can change into a coyote, but she is mostly the underdog because there are lots of werewolves running around. What makes the books so unique, is that Mercy manages to more than just stand up to said werewolves despote size. She rocks and over the books manages to definitely learn a few new tricks about her abilities. :) Setting is in our world, but most magical beings are a secret.

I also support the recs of Christina of Written in Red, Grave Witch and Skinwalker. Both books have very different characters.
The first one is about a young woman that manages to escape a facility where her divination abilities were abused and finds sanctuary with very much non-human beings. Slow book with great world building and interactions.

Grave Witch's heroine is what the title says - and a few things beside but that is discovered during the book. I very much liked the story line, but the series seems to be discontinued after 3 books because the author's illness. Still, the three books about different witches, fae and death (as a being) is worth reading.

The Jane Yellowrock books are about a woman who is also a private detective/ mercenary and shifts into a mountain lion. She is kickass, a loner and very much a fighter. An action book.

message 8: by Tonee (new)

Tonee E | 13 comments Wake series
Morganville series
A demon made me do it
Rk ryals book
Switched abt a troll princess y/a really good
Lisa mann all of her books

message 9: by Tryna (new)

Tryna | 14 comments Cecii wrote: "I'm looking for books with strong female lead character with abilities of some sort. preferably adult but YA is good too. LOVED Choosen thief by scarlet dawn, Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer ..."

I love Jennifer Armentrout you should read some of her other books also maybe some of Amanda Hockings books I like the Trylle series.

message 10: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 44 comments Maybe Steelheart?

message 12: by HUNTER (new)

HUNTER (hunterssquirrley) | 5 comments I Am Number Four series
The first is narrated by a boy mostly, but after the first book there is a lot of female narrators.
This is one of my favorite series.
Has strong male and female Characters.
The second book is told haft and haft by a male and female character The Power of Six

message 13: by Lilian (new)

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story is about a young woman who develops superpowers and has to put all her plans for life on hold so she can use them to help others. It's a great start to a fantastic series, the fifth installment just came out. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thirteenth Child by Patricia Wrede is set in an alternate world where magic exists and the US has only spread to the Mississippi River by 1850 or so. It starts when the main character is very young and her family moves out to the frontier. She believes herself to be cursed because she is the unlucky 13th child, and the entire trilogy is about her coming to terms with her position in the world and learning to control and use her magic, which doesn't seem to work the way everyone else's does.

message 16: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 170 comments I third Rosemary and Rue and second Unholy Ghosts.

To complete the Seanan McGuire "strong women with powers" collection, Velveteen is a (grown) woman with the ability to bring toys to life recovering from a reality-show type association with a band of teen superheroes in Velveteen vs. The Junior Super Patriots. (It sounds YA, but it is really not.) And a team of special agents take on fairy tales gone real in Indexing, headed up by Henrietta White. Both have sequels.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Kirstie wrote: "Hey sorry to barge into your conversation, i really need help finding an old favourite book of mine but i cant remember the title or author. This is everything i remember about the book: The main c..."

Kirstie, please start your own thread in UNSOLVED.

message 18: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 170 comments Kirstie wrote: "Hey sorry to barge into your conversation, i really need help finding an old favourite book of mine but i cant remember the title or author. This is everything i remember about the book: The main c..."

If you start a new topic under the "Unsolved" folder you will get a lot more eyes on that request. That's how this group works. Make a detailed topic title (include the genre and a brief synopsis without spoilers) then post exactly what you just posted in the topic. (If you can remember when you read it, or if you definitely read it before a certain year, that is helpful as well.) If you leave it here, only people who come in to suggest books fitting this topic will see it.

message 19: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 170 comments Jinx, Lobstergirl!

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 7 comments The Prophecy of The Stones is a great ya novel about female heroines and to my amazement it was written by a 13 y/o french girl! It is wonderfully written and i could have sworn that as i was reading it the author was in her mid thirties as it has great depth about it but as i said it was written by a 13 year old!

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica Iv I liked Witch Child

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori G deep in.your veins series.

message 24: by Yvonne (last edited Nov 13, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Yvonne Davies A diamond in my pocket by Lorena Angell A Diamond In My Pocket (The Unaltered #1) by Lorena Angell . There are more in the series. I also agree with the Morganville series. There are 15 books in the series and i loved them all

message 25: by Tryna (new)

Tryna | 14 comments Other Jennifer Armentrout books
Amanda Hocking books
Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (cursinglady) | 6 comments You should definitely read the variant series by Jena Leigh. It has everything you're looking for.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

message 30: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 105 comments I love The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. It's a series, thought I'm not actually sure that this is the first book. It's the only one I can remember, at any rate.

message 31: by Lena (new)

Lena Zhu | 62 comments Hayley wrote: "I love The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. It's a series, thought I'm not actually sure that this is the first book. It's the only one I can remember, at any rate."

The Summoning
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

It is the first book in the Darkest Powers series.