A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 22: Arya II

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new)

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

message 2: by Clara (new)

Clara . Sansa is pretty excited about this tourney. I think after what happened to Lady he just wants to see her happy, and if that tourney can do that, well, he might just go with it and let her go, even if he disagress with it.

. Poor Arya. She must feel so bad about what happened, and she is not getting along with her sister.

. We can see why Ned is loved so much in his land, he eats with his man, and had a special place for someone different everytime. And he listened to them.

. "“He was my friend,” Arya whispered into her plate, so low that no one could hear." Talking about Mycah. Ugh, I just want to hug her, poor thing.

. I dislike Septa Mordane so much! I know she is just doing her job, but still, I can't stand her.

. I love Arya for not telling her father Jon gave her the sword. She is so loyal.

. “Lyanna might have carried a sword, if my lord father had
allowed it. You remind me of her sometimes. You even look like her.” I didn't remember Ned said this. I believe he is telling Arya she is beautiful too, even if she doesn't understand it.

. So, we know finally what happened to Nymeria. It was so sad for me to read she had to throw rocks at her. They loved each other so much.

. "You were born in the long summer, sweet one, you’ve never known anything else, but now the winter is truly coming." Hearing this from Ned must have been so scary. I don't believe it is something to be taken lightly.

. She says she doesn't fully hate Sansa, but I think something broke between them that cannot be repared.

. I laughed when Ned asked her to try not to stab her sister.

. And in this chapter we are introduced to my very beloved Syrio Forel. I laughed a lot with him, but I think he is an excellent teacher and a wise men as well.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments 1. The food sounds so delicious, lol. There's that food orgy we hear so much about this series.

2. Septa Mordane clearly favors Sansa, helping convince Ned to let her go to the tourney. Arya, on the other hand, hates the tourney. :) I wonder if a small part of this reminds Ned of the tourney at Harrenhal?

3. Arya's trying not to cry. She and Sansa have both been reprimanded in front of 50 Stark guards, too. Arya hates it here, misses her brothers. Awe. :(

4. Wise words from Ned: dine with your men, let them know their lord, and "...don't ask your men to die for a stranger." :) Everyday Ned would have someone from the North sit and eat with him, even bakers and servants! Love this idea. The kids would listen to his guests talk about their lives. :) Arya loved it.

5. But now she blames all of them for letting Lady die... :( And for not talking about Mycah. Unfortunately this is what happens to lowborns... very sad. Arya knows it's wrong. She's make a great leader, because she is like her father with his servants.

6. Did Arya not have a bolt on her bedroom door in Winterfell? More crying... much crying.

7. Awe... she believes it's her fault... damn Sansa and Jeyne!

8. LOL at Fat Tom walking away when she said "no!" Because she said she wasn't in there. "Fat Tom was always so easy to fool." :)

9. She wants to run away to Winterfell or to the Wall to be with Jon. With Jon she doesn't feel alone. :)

10. She is so careless about Needle that she forgets to hide it when she lets her dad in. Seeing him sad rather than angry makes her feel worse. :(

11. Ned knows it's a "bravos blade." Funny when he says he's expected to rule the seven kingdoms yet he can't rule his own household.

12. Love how Arya refuses to betray Jon, not even to their own father. That's loyalty! And I'm glad he doesn't push the issue.

13. Odd how one minute Ned says it's no toy, then another calls it a toy.

14. Did not remember Ned admitting Lyanna having "a touch of wolf blood" as he says his father called it. "It brought them both to an early grave." I understand why he says this about Brandon, but for Lyanna dying from a fever...? Curious!

15. Ned doesn't often speak about these people, and she hears sadness in his voice. And here he tells her she reminds him of Lyanna. :) Oh gods I love this!!! But Arya doesn't believe it because Lyanna was beautiful and she doesn't think she's beautiful. "...beautiful, and willful, and dead before her time." :(

16. Love when Ned laughs when Arya says, "stick them with the pointy end." :) Also love when Ned hugs her when she cries about Mycah. And how he tells her to grieve but never blame yourself. Even Ned calls hte queen cruel.

17. "We all lie," her father said. Even him! "And even the lie was...not without honor."

18. I really like how Jory was king enough to help Arya shoo Nymeria away so she wouldn't get killed and kept her secret. It's so sad how she had to throw rocks, even hitting her, to get the point across. Nyrmeria must feel abandoned! :(

19. I love Ned's wise words about the lone wolf, too. "...The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." Ned is full of wisdom. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths." Also love how he explains she and Sansa are complete opposites but the same blood flows in their hearts. "You need her, as she needs you..."

20. I love how honest Ned is with her too, about not being safe in King's Landing. He's treating her like an adult now. Telling her a nice way to grow up. And love how Arya vows she will, and has never loved her father more than at that moment. :)

21. LOL when Ned says if he took away Needle he'd only find a morningstar under her pillow within a fortnight. :) Yeah, probably!

22. I forgot it took four days for her first water dancing lessons. I thought Ned told her straight forward... that was probably in the show.

23. Love how Syrio calls her boy.

24. The wooden sword is heavier than Needle. It's heavy so she can get stronger, exactly what Jon told her to do.

25. Arya is left handed. Syrio says it's good because it'll throw off her enemies.

26. Love how he asks if she can drop part of her arm.

27. I wonder what it means to be first sword to the sealord of Braavos. *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

28. I like that Ned doesn't send her a knight to teach her Westeros fighting but Bravos fighting, perfect for her form. I wonder where he found Syrio.

29. Love this too: "All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, teh water leaks out and they die." Very true, it is a water dance.

30. I love how not just Jon but Ned supports her wish to learn to fight. :) They love her and accept her for who she is. (They also happen to be true Starks.)

message 4: by Clara (new)

Clara I smiled when she told Fat Tom to leave and then thought that. Also, I felt so bad for her! It wasn't entirely her fault, and she had nothing to do with Mycah getting killed.
I didn't notice about your point 13! And you made me think a little bit more why Ned said that in your point 15.
*SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 6: by Clara (new)

Clara *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 8: by Clara (new)

message 9: by Vicki (new)

message 10: by Clara (new)

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)