A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 21: Tyrion III

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

Clara . Tyrion thinks his brother would be wondering what happened to him. He never mentions his sister os father.

. Again, love Tyrion and his humor. He even made Mormont laugh.

. When Rykker commented Tywin gave him two choices, Tyrion replied "my father is very fond of spiked heads, especially those of people who have annoyed him in some fashion". A lot of people must be scared of him.

. "We all need to be mocked from time to time, Lord Mormont, lest we start to take ourselves too seriously." I like that a lot.

. Maester Aemon said “I think he is a giant come among us, here at the end of the world.” He is not mocking him, and he says it from the heart. Tyrion really appreciates that, he is not used to kind words. I truly love the Maester for saying that.

. They really need more man in the Wall, and it must be tiring for the Lord Commander to beg for people. “I promise, the king will hear of your need,” Tyrion said gravely, “and I will speak to my father and my brother Jaime as well.” And
he would. Tyrion Lannister was as good as his word. He left the rest unsaid; that King Robert would ignore him, Lord Tywin would ask if he had taken leave of his senses, and
Jaime would only laugh." That says a lot about the three men mention.

. Tyrion doesn't take that winter is coming seriously. Even after all the things Mormont tells him.

. So, Jon is helping the boys with the fighting and stuff. Seems like he is getting along with at least a few of them. Good for him.

. Aww when Jon calls him friend. My heart is warm.

. It's been a long time since Benjen went away, so Jon says he and Ghost will find him. When Tyrion thought "And who will go find you?", I shivered too.

message 3: by Vicki (last edited Aug 18, 2015 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments I'm beginning to think the reason GRRM has Tyrion not take winter is coming seriously is because he wants us the reader to grasp how much the vast majority of people who live in Westeros don't believe there's anything too life threatening above the Wall anymore. That the Night's Watch has become a joke. A sort of prison camp where you conveniently drop off your criminals. It is really sad, to me. And for someone as clever as Tyrion to not take it seriously really speaks volumes. Even many of the Sworn Brothers don't believe in the Others. The only ones who do take their job seriously are obviously the ones who've seen the fishy things that've been going on of late, and it's not the wildlings. And you're right about Lord Mormont -- he must be getting tired of having to beg for more men all the time. I hadn't thought of that.

1. Lord Mormont is okay with Tyrion, so Lord Mormont is okay with me. :) It's pretty crazy that he can break a crab leg with his fist!

2. Tyrion is a jokester, something that most, but not all, like. The men could probably use a bit of humor, as their life on the Wall seems pretty grim. Ser Alliser hates him, but then again he hates everyone, so this isn't surprising.

3. Now we know why Thorne is at the Wall in the first place; he and Ser Jaremy Rykkar had fought for the Targaryens at King's Landing, and Tywin made them choose to take the black or die. *SPECULATION ON SER ALLISER THORNE AND JON SNOW* (view spoiler)

4. "We all need to be mocked from time to time, Lord Mormont, lest we start to take ourselves too seriously." -- says Tyrion. I like this, because it's so true.

5. Odd that Maester Aemon calls Tyrion a "giant come among us, here at the end of the world." This makes Tyrion speechless, but polite. It seems really odd, but an omen, perhaps? *SPECULATION OF THE END OF THE BOOK SERIES* (view spoiler) And then Aemon says he's been called many things but kind is not one of them. Funny. But it's strange he says that because I find Maester Aemon very kind throughout much of the series.

6. In total there's less than a thousand men of the Night's Watch guarding the entire three castles remaining of use. Only a third are fighting men. Really sad. The Wall is a 100 leagues long, three men per mile to guard it. Very sad.

7. We learn a little more about Ser Waymar Royce... that Benjen was sent to find him, who'd gone off on his first ranging, insisted on commanding the small group. Lord Commander Mormont didn't want to offend him because of his father. Green as grass, he is described. Mormont calls himself a fool for letting him go. And now Ben's gone missing too. I can feel his frustration, desperation, as he asks Tyrion to beg for more help from the King and his family, anyone.

8. Already Lord Commander Mormont can tell the wildlings are running south, running from something. He just doesn't know what yet.

9. I love how serious and dramatic Mormont is in his pleading, and all Tyrion can think about is how tired he is and he wants to go back home. Not even Tyrion takes the Night's Watch seriously, which is weird, because I always thought of him as smart, but there's a difference between intelligence and wisdom, I guess. "...sleepy from wine and tired of doom." Tyrion says, lol.

10. Interesting how a "strange madness" took hold of him and instead of going to the King's Tower for warmth and sleep, he went to the Wall one last time -- some urge took him there. Seems very important, for the words 'strange madness' and 'some urge,' incredibly important in the story line. And then it turns out he runs into Jon Snow one last time, lol. Once again, it makes me think of Jon as the most important character in the series.

11. "The top of the Wall was wider than the Kingsroad often was, so Tyrion had no fear of falling..." Wow... the Wall is bigger than I imagined.

12. Jon is actually kind of sad to see Tyrion go. :) Awe.

13. It's odd Jon tells Tyrion to help Bran. When Tyrion asks how, what can he do? Jon says Tyrion helped him with words when he needed it, so help Bran with words -- which is also odd of him to admit, but very kind. Very touching Jon shakes his hand and calls him friend. :)

14. Jon promises he'll go out and find his uncle and Tyrion says he believes him, but then thinks to himself: "And who will go find you?" Witty, the first time I read this, but now I see it more like an omen... *SPOILER FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

Clara You have an interesting point there. I guess George R. R. Martin thought so. I do realise now most of the people in the story don't care a lot about what happens North, one because they think there is nothing to worry about, just stories, and because they have the Wall, in case something ever happen.

About your point 3 and 5. *SPECULATION ON SER ALLISER THORNE AND JON SNOW AND THE SERIES FINALE* (view spoiler)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPOILER FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

Clara *SPOILER FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 9: by Vicki (last edited Aug 25, 2015 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars