A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 18: Catelyn IV

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

Clara . I forgot the captain of the ship was Tyroshi.

. "Beneath the linen bandages, her fingers still throbbed where the dagger had bitten. The pain was her scourge, Catelyn felt, lest she forget." She really feels because she wanted Bran to saty with her so bad, all the things that happened were her fault.

. I love Ser Rodrik, and I can't imagine how big his whiskers must have been and for how long he had them that he is barely recognizable now. And how old he looks now.

. I also forgot it is mention how much Tyroshi people love bright colors in their hair. *SPOILERS FOR A STORM OF SWORDS* (view spoiler)

. So, we learn a little bit more about Littlefinger, he knew Catelyn quite well, and he fought Brandon for her hand. It's funny, how knowing what I know about Petyr, that he challenged Brandon, who was older and knew how to fight. He doesn't fight with swords now, but I always found it interesting. He must have loved her a lot.

. I wonder what that letter she burnt said.

. The comparison between how King's Landing used to be and how is now it's so weird to read. Maybe because (or at least I think) it is not mention anymore how it used to be, that it was once forest.

. We have a notcion of why Maegor was called The Cruel, since he killed everyone who knew how the Red Keep was built, after they finished it.

. Lol at how Catelyn gave each man the stag instead of giving it to More. She should have know he would have kept it for himself.

. I like she gets mad for how she was summon. "Like a serving wench".

. So, Varys was the one who told Petyr she was coming. It is mention he is an eunuch, and that sometimes he knows things before they happen.

. And Varys knew why she was there, and Petyr didn't. If that man doesn't know everything, he is at a very close point of that.

. And Petyr said it was his knife and that Tyrion won it in the tourney on Prince Joffrey’s name day. I forgot Tyrion bet against his brother.

message 3: by Vicki (last edited Aug 16, 2015 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments 1. I laughed at the part where Catelyn says, "but they'll take the silver anyway." It's true. She's realistic. That's what I like about her.

2. I like that the Tyroshi like to wear bright colors. Also find their manners appealing, somehow, even if it is indeed fake.

3. Forgot Edmure named Petyr Baelish "Littlefinger." And she hadn't seen Petyr since the fight with Brandon. Such a long time ago. I wonder why he was Hoster Tully's ward in the first place... I was under the impression that wards are a nice word for hostage.

4. Like this: "...it is one thing to be clever and another to be wise."

5. King's Landing is only 300 years old. Not old at all, considering the rest of Westeros.

6. Interesting how Visenya's Hill has the Great Sept and Rhaenys's Hill the Dragon Pit, since Rhaenys especially loved her dragon, Meraxes. And Aegon's Hill has the Red Keep, of course. Was Visenya religious? Aegon's son, Maegor the Cruel, saw the keep's completion and then killed everyone who worked on it. Jerk off... Apparently there's secrets inside the keep he wanted to stay secret. I think Maegor is Visenya's son, too.

7. It's funny, because in The World of Ice and Fire, it's said the Baratheons were close friends and kin to the Targaryens. Now they're complete opposite.

8. I like that Catelyn personally hands out each stag to its oarmen to make sure they got it. I suppose Tyroshi captains cannot be trusted. And politeness is a farce.

9. Catelyn felt the eyes of the city on her as she rode, surrounded by the guard in their golden cloaks -- sounds like Lannistermen, though. Wouldn't it be white for city guard? Or is that Kingsguard only? I get confused.

10. So much about Petyr is grey and silver. His silver mockingbird sigil. His grey-green eyes. His grey hair, though he's only 30. "Even as a child, he had always loved his silver." I wonder what that means...does he love money? Already he seems quite suspicious. Is he still in love with her? Quite a risk for her to trust him.

11. I wonder if he secretly hates Catelyn for letting him get humiliated when he lost so awfully to Brandon Stark and nearly died. For a clever boy, that must have stung particularly fierce.

12. I wonder if Varys did indeed tell on Cat, or if Littlefinger had his own spies and blamed it on Varys in order to get her to trust him more. Of course, later Varys even admits he spied on her, but he could be pretending in order to study Cat. Who knows with these people.

13. Yes, you certainly were a friend to Lysa... *SPOILER FOR A STORM OF SWORDS* (view spoiler)

14. "Old sweet friends should never hesitate to rely upon each other." Except you were never really her friend, were you? I do not trust him. But I know it must be hard for Cat to get to the bottom of his knife business, and I don't think she's ever been to King's Landing before, so she doesn't have a lot of options, especially when Petyr basically forced her to visit him.

15. Varys is so good at being polite, just like the Tyroshi captain. It's hard to know who to trust. LOL at this: "...and I know we do both love King Robert."

"Yes," she was forced to say. "For a certainty."

16. "She trusted Littlefinger only a little, and Varys not at all." He says it's good to see her again, have they met before?

17. Apparently Littlefinger can throw a Valyrian knife...

18. And then he pins the blame on Tyrion...of course, since everyone likes to jape at him and/or make him the scapegoat. It's interesting that Varys watches Cat's face here, for some kind of reaction? Does he already know who did it?

Clara About your point 7, I didn't know that! I haven't read the book, and it never crossed my mind.
I can't answer your question in point 13, I don't remember reading what happened. And I also found it interesting Varys was looking at her face, what did he expect to see?

message 5: by Vicki (last edited Aug 17, 2015 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments Yeah, you should definitely read it! I haven't finished the whole thing yet, but it's a history of Westeros, including other parts of the world as well, so I've been bouncing back and forth whenever I have time to read it. I still have yet to read GRRM's other books, particularly the anthology.

In the part about the history of Baratheons, the patriarch, Orys Baratheon, was best friends with Aegon the Conquerer, rumored to be his bastard half-brother on their father's side, and at least one of his descendants married a Targaryen, Aemon Targaryen, son of Jaehaerys I and Good Queen Alysanne Targaryen. They are an off branch. I wish I brought my book with me... there's a family tree in the back of the book.

It goes to show you how much generations can change.

Clara I really want to read it, I hope I can get my hand on it soon!

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments Ruben highly recommended it to me. I'm glad I bought the book! Worth every penny!