A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 16: Eddard III

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

Clara . I wonder how Arya managed to survive for four days all by herself.

- I like how he kept his dignity and didn't run. I know I would, but I am not a King's Hand.

. Joffrey is so whiny. Now he is acting like a poor little boy and in the river he thought he was a king. I hate him!

. When Renly said “Perchance later you’ll tell me how a nine-year-old girl the size of a wet rat managed to disarm you with a broom handle and throw your sword in the river.” I laughed out loud.

. I really disliked what Sansa did here. She put Joffrey over her sister, and I know they don't really get well at all and she wants him to love her, but still. I wonder what she would have said if she knew that Cersei was going to order to kill Lady because Nymeria was lost.

. Robert clearly just want to be done with this, but Cersei will not let go. I think this says a lot about her.

. This is so sad. Sansa crying, Ned begging, Arya shouting. And Joffrey smiling. Ugh, I hate him so much.

. "They were all staring at him, but it was Sansa’s look that cut." When I read this, I felt it so real, like I could almost see her eyes.

. The fact that Ned wants Lady to be taken bacl North made me like him a lot, and I am glad he was the one that killed Lady and not Payne.

. The end to this chapter is shocking. When the hound said that Mycah run, but not very fast, I had a chilled.

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments Clara, you have a good point there -- about whether Sansa would still stick up for Joffrey if she knew Lady's life was on the line. I think she would tell the truth, then. Though I don't believe Sansa really chose a side. She just said everything went so fast she didn't see anything, which is still a lie. She was mostly trying not to piss off either one of them, and I think she was pressured by her father hovering over her not to come right out and say "Joffrey's right" when she had already told Ned the truth earlier anyway. I think at this point she doesn't yet grasp quite how horrible Joffrey is turning out to be. This goes along with her naivety, that she wants, no -- needs, to believe her betrothed is still that wonderful prince she's always dreamed of marrying.

1. It took four days for them to find Arya. Wow... Either everyone in the party had suddenly forgotten how to track or Arya is really good at evading! (Right now I'm thinking of Dungeons & Dragons skills role checks, lol).

2. Ned is furious and frantic. Such a loving father. I love Ned! I would think that, in this world anyway, most fathers wouldn't freak out so much over one daughter. It says a lot about Ned.

3. Darry, I've heard that name before. Ser Willem Darry helped Daenerys and her family escape Westeros! Ser Raymunn Darry is lord of an unnamed small castle, a half day's ride south of the Trident. Would it by any chance be located at or nearby Lord Harroway's Town on the map? The Darry's weren't pleased to invite Robert's party into their home, being once on Rhaegar's side of the war 15 years ago. How terribly awkward.

4. Interesting here it is said, "Cersei Lannister and her son stood beside him." Not their but her.

5. Arya is crying again, but I understand she's scared. I like how Robert admits he didn't mean to frighten her. :)

6. Ned notices Joffrey never glances at Arya when accusing her, a classic "I'm totally lying right now" sign.

7. I like how Renly laughs when Arya says she threw Lion's Tooth into the river and makes fun of Joffrey for letting a nine-year-old girl beat him.

8. Lion's Tooth = Lannister tribute. Absolutely no stag in him at all, it seems. Weird, since you'd think he'd be proud to be a Baratheon, son of the king who conquered the Targaryens. ;)

9. I like how Ned had already heard Sansa's story earlier so he'd know if she was lying.

10. Cersei is such a bitch here... I just hate her.

11. And I like how forgetful Robert is with the direwolf. He clearly doesn't give a damn about what happened -- after all he's right, children fight. It's over. Joffrey and Cersei are vastly overreacting. If it were any other kid, it'd be no big deal. So stupid...and unfair. Robert is even happy they couldn't find Nymeria. Probably just so he can get out of punishing anybody. And it's total injustice by punishing Lady, who did nothing wrong. Even Arya defends Lady. By doing so, she defends her sister.

12. Still hard to believe Robert gave into Cersei's request, though I guess it's only to placate her womanly wrath later on. Not even Ned, who swears on Robert's love for Lyanna (which I think is where he went wrong -- not in front of Cersei!), could get him to change his mind. Robert is trying to keep the peace with his wife. Throwing Lyanna in the mix was a big no no for Robert, and that alone might have been the thing that sealed the deal.

13. I love how Ned coldly tells Robert to do it himself, then. Be a man and do it yourself. Strange how Robert looks at him flatly and just leaves without saying anything. That was kind of rude, to me. Or maybe Robert's still angry about Ned throwing Lyanna in the fight.

14. The fact that Joffrey is smiling and isn't protesting for them to go back and cut off the right wolf's head speaks a lot about his character. He doesn't even have the decency to pretend to be sorry for Sansa, his betrothed.

15. How very noble of Ned to bear the burden himself, though he is sick at having to do it, since he knows it's not right. And it's weird that Cersei would be suspicious of this. "Why would you do such a thing?" she asks him. Because he's from the North and it's noble, you idiot! Why does she even care who kills the wolf in the first place? I love how Sansa even is the one who says it. :) I'm proud of her there, and I'm not often proud of Sansa, so that's saying a lot. I hope she stays true to the North... but I have a feeling she's going to continue to drift away from her Northern heritage, the longer she's away. Maybe losing Lady is symbolic that Sansa loses her Stark heritage? *SPOILERS FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

16. Apparently Lady is the smallest of the litter. "The most gentle and trusting." :(

17. Hadn't realized Lady was to be buried at Winterfell. How sweet of Ned. :) "The Lannister woman shall never have this skin." Here he treats the direwolf like a citizen of the North. I like this very much.

18. Funny how Mycah was a butcher's boy -- and he and Lady had been "butchered" in this chapter.

Clara I do think that as well, she needs to believe Joffrey is not what it seems, and how he acted when all this problem happened.
Your point 4 is very interesting indeed.
I do believe Robert is just sick of her and doesn't want to hear her complain more than usual. And naming Lyanna was definitely a mistake.