What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Maybe titled "Steel" about teenage rattlesnake hunter and grandfather who is wading in a pool with an alligator. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rock (new)

Rock Peterson | 3 comments I'm looking for information about a novel I read in the late 70's or early 80's. I remember the title being "Steel" but my memory may not be accurate in this regard.

The story is about a teenage boy who makes money capturing rattlesnakes to sell to a local snake farm (I think in/near the Florida everglades). He's been trying for some time to capture an extremely large diamondback that apparently shares territory with a dangerous boar that may trample/kill it before he can capture it. While this is going on, his grandfather, who may have Alzheimer's or something similar, is worrying the family by taking repeated walks into the swamp, where he often wades deeper and deeper into a pool frequented by an alligator they call "Steel."

Unfortunately my Search-Fu is not great, and the word "Steel" is just too common to provide useful search engine results in regard to a book over 30 years old.

Any help finding relevant info about this book would be appreciated. Even if I can't find a copy, I could be satisfied just to clear up whether my memory is accurate and find out who the author was.

Thanks in advance :)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Was this book for children, teens or adults?
What time period does it take place?
Part of a series?
Anything about the cover?

message 3: by Rock (new)

Rock Peterson | 3 comments It wasn't what we would consider a book for teens now, though it did feel like a "coming of age" story in an era when we were less squeamish about what children were exposed to.

The era it seemed to be set in was pretty non-specific, just about anytime in the 1900's probably.

No idea whether it was a part of a series, though the story seemed pretty self-contained, so my first instinct is one-shot.

It was a standard mass media paperback format. I think the cover was mostly black.

message 5: by Rock (new)

Rock Peterson | 3 comments That's it! Thank you so much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ironhead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mel Ellis (other topics)