Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Little Captive: How one girl survived a Japanese Prisoner of War camp
This topic is about The Little Captive
Book Issues > Please combine: The Little Captive - Lise Kristensen

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (canadiangirlcb) | 700 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... - 3 editions, ISBN: B00M4405I2 ; 9789044347616 ; B00KPKK6LS.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... - 5 editions (also titled as "The Blue Door". ISBN: 9781447273561 ; B006Z9SO1M ; 9788282052979 ; 9780230760271.

There are no ISBN matches. Please combine records.

One edition under the second record doesn't have an ISBN or ASIN - the date info matches the info for the book with ISBN 9780230760271. Publishers partially match - the one is Pan MacMillan, the other MacMillan. same language, page count differs. Both are hardcover editions.
These are likely the same book, and can be merged.

message 2: by Empress (last edited Aug 12, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi, not sure what do you mean by ISBN matches but the database doesn't allow the same ISBN to be assigned to more then one edition which means there will be no ISBN matches/duplicates. Which also means when a books is reprinted with the same ISBN the new record on GR will not have an ISBN.

Combined.

Editions not merged. Might be the same, might be not. Sometimes there are UK and US editions.

message 3: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (canadiangirlcb) | 700 comments Hi, not sure what do you mean by ISBN matches...

I meant that none of the ISBN numbers in the 1st record are the same as those in the second record - these are combines, not (aside from the one) books that need to be merged. Is the no multiple-assignations of ISBNs a new thing? I thought that was the point of having the option of merging books, vs. combining? (Along with issues like the one you handled here.)

Thanks for the help!

message 4: by Empress (last edited Aug 12, 2015 12:31PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Courtney wrote: " Is the no multiple-assignations of ISBNs a new thing?"

No, it is not a recent thing. The database would not allow a record to be saved (will show an error message) if the ISBN is already used on another edition. I'm just letting you know so you don't spend time checking ISBN numbers in future when those cannot be in fact duplicated, although if they are entered in the wrong field the database will accept them (such as an ASIN(for kindle) entered in ISBN field).

We combine books with same content, don't worry about us misunderstanding you, we wouldn't just merge books without checking first. The ISBN has no effect on combining. However if a book has a valid ISBN in it's field we wouldn't merge it. Duplicates will be mostly without ISBN numbers or the ISBN and ISBN13 will be split between the duplicates.

As the database does not allow duplicative ISBN numbers, we will add alternate cover editions without such (see the link in the description.)and the same for reused ISBN numbers.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

P.S. We do appreciate you being extra careful and very helpful :)