A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > Chat/Banter/Review - September Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Thanks.

message 2: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I'm a bit late posting September threads.

Sorreeeee - been busy - painting everything to within an inch of its life!!! :\

Have fun! :))

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Hope you are having a good time with the paint, Janet.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Don't breathe the fumes, Janet!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 31 comments Users of this list who love techno-thrillers should not miss Ghost Fleet. Ever wonder if there's any danger to having the US military all wired up and connected? It's an inside-the-Beltway hit and essential reading in a post-Snowden world. Plus tremendously entertaining for those who can keep up with the multiple p.o.v.! (I've reviewed it for goodreads)

message 6: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I've been painting fences outside. Hard work but they look good!! :-)

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 31 comments And staggering in the house at night to read Tom Sawyer!

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Victoria wrote: "Users of this list who love techno-thrillers should not miss Ghost Fleet. Ever wonder if there's any danger to having the US military all wired up and connected? It's an inside-the-Beltway hit and ..."

I just heard about this book last week.

Please go to my group and comment on it: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Have fun.

message 10: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9344 comments Mod
Busy last few days, will add my votes shortly.

Added my selection, a little different this time.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Lots of good books as usual everyone:)

Dana-I loved both Wild and The Boys in the Boat. Either way you should read both of them:)

Stefanie-I picked Still Missing for you because I have it checked out from the library right now. If it wins I will read it with you if you want. Then again we could all start a side group read:)

Perri-Some good ones but Dandelion Wine is a recent new add for me.

Sean-Good stuff there. I picked 3 and had to narrow it down, lol. Enjoy the one that wins.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 31 comments Two excellent new thrillers in a traditional sense are the above-mentioned Ghost Fleet about what could lead to WWIII and how it plays out (technology is the problem!) and The Water Knife, about the not-too-distant future of the SW U.S. water problems. If "Chinatown" was a look back . . .Also enjoyed the literary thriller The Long Fire about a woman with pica (scary!) trying to find her gypsy family roots and Eden Sharp's The Breaks--savvy female protagonist. Something for everyone among these 4!!

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Victoria; great selections.

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri Lisa, Back Door is like what if Y2-like disaster had happened-and could it still? Very intriguing! Echo your sentiments that Stefanie should read Wild and The Boys

My stats say I haven't read any books older than 1980-so easy to get distracted by the new and shiny!

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments @cj - Please remember to post the chat in the proper thread and not in the threads for voting.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Perri wrote: "Lisa, Back Door is like what if Y2-like disaster had happened-and could it still? Very intriguing! Echo your sentiments that Stefanie should read Wild and The Boys

My stats say I haven't read any ..."

I remember at that time the Chinese told the heads of the airline they all had to be in their planes at New Year's Eve to ensure that there were no snafus.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments I've posted my PIFM list. I'm not able to get to the voting on others books for a couple days. I had surgery on Monday and am recuperating. It doesn't take much to wipe me out, I promise to get my votes in as soon as possible.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Perri wrote: "Lisa, Back Door is like what if Y2-like disaster had happened-and could it still? Very intriguing! Echo your sentiments that Stefanie should read Wild and The Boys

My stats say I haven't read any ..."

I will be reading that one anyway:) Forget about the new and shiny….I can't keep up with any of them, lol.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Lynn wrote: "I've posted my PIFM list. I'm not able to get to the voting on others books for a couple days. I had surgery on Monday and am recuperating. It doesn't take much to wipe me out, I promise to get my ..."

Take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery. Are you still camping?

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Amber-Do you think it might be possible for you to use links to your books? It would just make it so much easier to vote for you:)

Thanks.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Sophie-Some good ones there. I have heard Middlesex is a great book but I am going with The Girls since I have it checked out from my library. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Feel better, Lynn.

message 23: by Perri (new)

Perri 1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies Guns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond +1
Kirsten

2. Catholicism and Fundamentalism Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
3..Æthelstan: The First King of England Æthelstan The First King of England by Sarah Foot Æthelstan: The First King of England by Sarah Foot as part of The English Monarchs series
4.Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy Overlord D-Day and the Battle for Normandy by Max Hastings Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy by Max Hastings
5. Authentic Vietnamese Cooking: Food from a Family Table Authentic Vietnamese Cooking Food from a Family Table by Corinne Trang Authentic Vietnamese Cooking: Food from a Family Table
by Corinne Trang (Goodreads Author)
6. Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors Before the Dawn Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade
7. The Hundred Years War: The English in France 1337-1453 The Hundred Years War The English in France 1337-1453 by Desmond Seward The Hundred Years War: The English in France 1337-1453 by Desmond Seward
8. The Art of War The Art of War by Sun Tzu The Art of War by Sun Tzu
9. 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry 1066 The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry by Andrew Bridgeford 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
by Andrew Bridgeford
and 10. The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories The Little House Cookbook Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories by Barbara M. Walker The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
by Barbara M. Walker, Garth Williams (Illustrator) +1
Perri

message 24: by Amber (last edited Aug 14, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Amber Martingale Lynn wrote: "I've posted my PIFM list. I'm not able to get to the voting on others books for a couple days. I had surgery on Monday and am recuperating. It doesn't take much to wipe me out, I promise to get my ..."

Surgery's a pain in the ass.

Lisa: It'd be easier for me to post the links if I had only 3 books for you guys to vote on. Besides, I only get 18 hrs. a week online since my library's NOT open on Sundays and I have no home Internet access. Not to mention that I don't know how to do the picture links that would probably be more useful than simply the links.

message 25: by Perri (new)

Perri Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared..."

Amber, could you copy and paste that?^

Lynn, no worries-your recovery is what's important

Sophie, Middlesex is a monster at over 500 words. Why are all the masterpieces so long!? One reason I picked Old Mand and the Sea for Kirsten

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Perri wrote: "Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Soci..."

Probably, but NOT today, lus if it worked, wouldn't I have to repost the votes I've gotten?

I'm down to about the last 20 or so minutes of my allotted computer time for the day and that's why I can't try today.

message 27: by Perri (new)

Perri Amber wrote: "Perri wrote: "Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates..."

Kirsten's vote and mine are already on there, and those are them most important ;)

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale True your vote and Kirsten's are there but if the votes are deleted when I edit, I'll have to go looking up everyone's vote and reposting...a task best done fresh.

message 29: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9344 comments Mod
Added all my votes.

Easiest pick has to be Mark Dawson, Black Moon Rising!

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Get well soon, Lynn!

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Perri wrote: "Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Soci..."

Thanks, my book pal and me are reading THE WOMAN IN WHITE and it's a monster at over 600 pages!

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Enjoy, Kirsten

message 33: by Perri (new)

Perri DANG! Kirsten 672 pages!! I might have to Change my PIFM vote for you ;)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I've done my voting :)

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Until the next batch of votes comes in, Kim.

Perri: That's nothing compared to the 1,000+ pages there are in the omnibus editions of the novelizations of the STAR WARS prequels.... .

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared..."

I adapted this approach, but the cover pics didn't show up on any of them.

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Perri wrote: "DANG! Kirsten 672 pages!! I might have to Change my PIFM vote for you ;)"

Don't worry, Perri. I'm a fast reader and I don't have a job or kids.

message 38: by Perri (new)

Perri Amber wrote: "Perri wrote: "1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human SocietiesGuns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared DiamondGuns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Soci..."

Well that didn't work! :(

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I know. And if it had, I'd have had to go back through the other thread and repost everyone else's recent votes for my list.

message 40: by Perri (new)

Perri Mandy, have you already read The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman ?

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Loved that series, @Perri.

message 42: by Perri (new)

Perri Kirsten me too!! Mandy had really tough books to choose from :)

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments Yeah, I know, @Perri. I finally decided that everyone should read MOCKINGBIRD. I didn't read it until I was over 30, and still can't figure out why I wasn't given it in school!

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Perri wrote: "Mandy, have you already read The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman ?"

Yes I read that one a year ago or so :)

message 45: by Perri (new)

Perri Mandy wrote: "Perri wrote: "Mandy, have you already read The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman ?"

Yes I read that one a year ago or so :)"

I thought The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman was the bests in a terrific trilogy

message 46: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Lynn wrote: "I've posted my PIFM list. I'm not able to get to the voting on others books for a couple days. I had surgery on Monday and am recuperating. It doesn't take much to wipe me out, I promise to get my ..."

Get well soon Lynn.

I'm more or less back and hope I won't break down again in the next future. So I should be more active again.

I added all my votes though five of you have to wait for a final decision between two books. Is was especially difficult with Sean and Lisa - I loved almost all of you book and was happy when I had it down to two :-)

message 47: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Perri wrote: "Kirsten me too!! Mandy had really tough books to choose from :)"

They are all books I've either had for ages or have been meaning to read for ages and have aquired a copy recently, so am forcing you lot to pick one for me as I keep overlooking them for the latest thriller (not such a bad thing though eh?) lol

Eldritch Reading Reindeer Welcomes 2022! (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 41 comments Agnieszka, you don't have to choose! Picking 2 books is fine with me,

message 49: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Mallory Heart wrote: "Agnieszka, you don't have to choose! Picking 2 books is fine with me,"

Great

message 50: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments My heart is bleading but it had to be done - at leat for Sean and Sophie I made a final vote.

Sophie it's Mystic River, though The Girls seems very interesting too.

Sean I decided to pick Dead Ringer even though I thought Killer Instinct is better.

In case there is a tie feel free to switch to the other one - it was just so difficult and I decided to go with my gut feeling intead of what my head was telling me :-)

Lisa & Lynn I hope I have it within a week - I just love both of your books I'm down to.

« previous 1 3