Anything Legal, Legal Thrillers, Legal Mysteries and More discussion

Archive > The Next Great American Thriller

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Hi Everyone,

Several months ago there was a discussion called, Group Storyline. The idea was to create a storyline one paragraph at a time. One member would start the ball rolling and that would be followed by someone else continuing the storyline with their own paragraph and so on.

Writing a paragraph does take time, so in light of this, I would like to take this general idea and start an off-shoot, writing ONLY a sentence at a time until we have the next great thriller.

I will start it off on the post below.

Cheers,

Michael Burton
Co-Mod

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments I arrived at the precinct early to finish all that dreaded paperwork, but my plan was interrupted with the ringing of my cellphone.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 325 comments I checked caller ID and was annoyed to see the number had been blocked.

message 4: by David (last edited Aug 11, 2015 01:42PM) (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments I answered it anyway and a muffled voice said, "If you want to solve Mayor Hanrahan's murder, go to the Starbucks on Main at two and sit in the back."

Before I could say a word, the line went dead.

message 5: by Manning (new)

Manning Wolfe (manningwolfe) | 253 comments I grabbed my partner, Abbie and we hustled down to Starbucks where we found a strange man sitting in the back booth and mumbling.

message 6: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments He looked up as we reached the table. It was the mayor's twin brother, Oscar. Or was it the mayor himself?

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 325 comments I looked at Abbie and shrugged; we were both confused...very confused.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments I couldn't take my eyes off of him as I had a plethora of questions, specifically what does the Mayor's brother know about his death and why?

message 9: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments But first I asked him the one question only Mayor Oliver Hanrahan would know the right answer to.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments We learned your brother was having an affair, what is the name of his mistress?

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 325 comments He looked dumbfounded and hardly knew what to say; in fact, he began to turn grey and we were fearful he was getting ill.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Beads of sweat began to form on his forehead and his cheeks became flushed.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angiexxx) | 135 comments As he opened his mouth to reply the coffee shop window splintered, then shattered, as a bullet passed through on its way to Oscars' head, sending brain matter, bone and blood in all directions.

message 14: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments Abbie and I hit the deck as two more shots zipped through the air. Were they aimed at us or were they to make sure Oscar couldn't talk?

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Immediately after the second shot, I heard the sound of screeching tires and Abbie's heavy breathing.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (angiexxx) | 135 comments We were surrounded by chaos as people made to hide under tables, or anywhere that might offer some protection.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments My first instinct was to grab my gun, but instead I reached over and placed my hand onto Abbie's motionless body.

message 18: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments When I took it away, it was painted with blood. I wanted to scream at the unfairness of losing the best partner I ever had. Instead I made a vow to track down the bastard who'd killed her. Then she moaned.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela (angiexxx) | 135 comments As she turned to look at me I noticed the huge egg-sized lump on her head, which explained why she had briefly been unconscious. The blood that I initially thought was hers did not belong to Abbie, but instead to an unfortunate customer who was draped over her with a bullet hole in his thigh.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Other customers rushed towards the loud moans of the wound female on top of Abbie while I made sure the chaotic scene was secure.

message 21: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Blair (jerriblair) | 2465 comments My cellphone buzzed and I answered it mechanically, only to be blown away when I heard the familiar sound of the mayor's voice demanding that I make an appearance at his office.

message 22: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments "I'm a little busy right now." I slapped the phone shut and dropped it.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Thirty minutes later, both the bullet-ridden coffee shop chaos and my adrenaline rush had common down enough for the shock of hearing the mayor's voice to sink in.

message 24: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Blair (jerriblair) | 2465 comments Since I'm a firm believer in the age old maxim that there are no coincidences, I began to wonder just why the mayor had called me while I was standing so near his brother's freshly killed corpse.

message 25: by Michael (last edited Nov 13, 2015 02:12PM) (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments I stepped outside and walked past the crowd, behind the police tape, into a nearby alley. I looked at the number on my phone and contemplated whether to return the call. My curiosity got the better of me.

message 26: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments I didn't recognize the number but dialed it anyway. Three rings later, a woman answered. Her sultry voice hinted at candlelit dinners and bedroom pleasures.

message 27: by Michael (last edited Nov 13, 2015 02:28PM) (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments However, from my past experience, when I do come face to face with the voice, it never matches what the woman actually looks like. I'm sure this is no exception.

message 28: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Blair (jerriblair) | 2465 comments "I'm returning your call," I said in the most disinterested tone I could manage given my intense curiosity about the identity of he woman on the other end of the line.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Before I could even get a word out, the line went dead. When I woke up this morning I thought it would just be another non-eventful day but over the last several hours, it was anything but that. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments Prior to leaving the precinct for Starbucks, a short stocky man approached me, sat down in the chair adjacent to my desk without introducing himself. My first impression was he was homeless. His clothes were un-kept, hair greasy and body odor unrelenting. Before I could ask him who he was, in a raspy voice and a scent of alcohol oh his breath he said, "you will be receiving a call from a woman named Helen, it is important to listen to what she has to say. Life's depend on it." As quickly as he came in, he got up and left. I got up from my desk in an attempt to catch up with him, spilling my coffee all over my pants in the process. By the time I made it into the hallway, the mystery man was gone.

message 31: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 163 comments The only thing I needed now was where to meet Ms. Sultry Voice. Had I not been reeling from the shooting that killed Oscar, I would have asked when she called.

Only one thing to do: call her again. I hit redial. After a not complete ring, a computer voice told me the number was not in service.

Damn and blast.

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Burton | 2659 comments None of this was making any sense. Was the sultry voice, Helen? Why would someone want the Mayor's brother killed?

message 33: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Blair (jerriblair) | 2465 comments I decided to go to the mayor and see what he had to say about the events of the morning. Maybe he could unravel some of the twists and turns strangling my ability to think.

message 34: by Angel (new)

Angel | 13 comments When I reached the mayor's office, a detective stopped me dead in my tracks at the door. "I'm sorry, you can't enter. This is a crime scene investigation."

I looked passed the detective as he led me out the door, pushing me gently backward. I saw a body supine on the floor. "Was it the mayor's brother?" Oh, no. It was the mayor. "What's going on here?" I thought to myself.