2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Norwegian Wood
This topic is about Norwegian Wood
. Week 30: Birth Year > Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (last edited Aug 11, 2015 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (sawphie) I don't know why, but I've never dared read a Murakami book, fearing I wouldn't like it. I was surprised to see that Norwegian Wood was published on my birth year (1987). In the true spirit of this challenge, I'm tackling it, we'll see!

message 2: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Sophie wrote: "I don't know why, but I've never dared read a Murakami book, fearing I wouldn't like it. I was surprised to see that Norwegian Wood was published on my birth year (1987). In the true spirit of this..."

I hope you like it! I've never read a Murakami book either, but I know they're all the rage, so please let me know what you think. :) Thx, Grace.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Yay, another one tackling Murakami for this year's challenge! I hope you'll end up liking it like I did. There were a lot of "Whut??" moments for me for that book, but overall, I really loved it.

Sophie (sawphie) So, I just finished it, with very mixed feelings. On one side I found it a good book, beautifully written and I totally understand why so many people love Murakami (and I definitely will read more from him). But on the other end, I didn't really connect with the characters and frankly I was happy to finish it to read something else (even though it's cheesy YA... I have to confess I'm a bit ashamed).
I gave it 3 stars, which for me is "good book, but didn't get me too excited".

Ana, I totally understand about the "Whut??" moments haha. I also was a bit surprised by the amount of sex in this book, I guess I didn't expect that from a Japanese story set in the 60s. How mistaken I was!

message 5: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Sophie wrote: "So, I just finished it, with very mixed feelings. On one side I found it a good book, beautifully written and I totally understand why so many people love Murakami (and I definitely will read more ..."

Wow! You must be quite a bundle of emotions. And you just finished reading it! I noticed the time.

I might give it a try...

Sophie (sawphie) I was looking for a specific quote from the book, and I read all the amazing quotes that came out of it. It totally confirms this kind of haze of beauty there is surrounding my thoughts about it. (sorry it's late ;) )