Short & Sweet Treats discussion

39 views
Archives > September Banned Book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Banned Book Week runs September 27 to October 3rd! So for September, please nominate a book from our Banned Bookshelf.

Nominations end on the 15th at which point the voting will start.

Let us know why you are nominating your choice!

Thank you!


 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Forever, haven't read this since I was a teen. I'm nominating this because it's not a classic and it is YA & the month of September reminds me of heading back to school (despite the fact that most states in US go back in Aug. these days).


Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Forever, haven't read this since I was a teen. I'm nominating this because it's not a classic and it is YA & the month of September reminds me of heading back to school (despite the f..."

I read this one recently again - and while now it is probably not so risque I still felt myself blush as it reminded me of my first read of it.


 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Forever, haven't read this since I was a teen. I'm nominating this because it's not a classic and it is YA & the month of September reminds me of heading back to schoo..."

I remember hiding the book under my bed, went as far as cutting a little slit in the box spring to hide it.


message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Forever ..."

My parents occasionally read books before handing them over to us kids to make sure they approved. One day, my mom came out of the bedroom where she'd been reading, ripped up whatever book she had, threw some messy leftovers over the pieces, then had my brother take out the trash. All the while talking about how she was so glad that she'd chosen to spot-check that book, how awful and filthy it was and that she'd never expected such a book from this author since all of her other books were so kid/teen-friendly.

I was never sure exactly what author it was or what book it was - mom refused to say at the time (I guess she didn't want us to track down a copy elsewhere) and now she's forgotten, but we did read Judy Blume and over the years, this is the only one I can think of by an author my sister and I occasionally read that might have set her off like that.


 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Melanti wrote: "Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Forever ..."

My parents occasionally read books before handing them over to us kids to make sure they approved. One day, my mom came out of the bedroom where she'd b..."


I imagine if my mom had read through Forever, she would have not allowed me to read it.


message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I'll nominate The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain.

It was the inspiration for Camus's The Stranger, which I read a couple of years ago, which was very strange, to say the least, so I'm curious about its antecedent.


Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) Melanti wrote: "I'll nominate The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain.

It was the inspiration for Camus's The Stranger, which I read a couple of years ago, which was very stran..."


I enjoyed The Postman Always Rings Twice! I will have to check the Camus book out now.


message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Loretta wrote: "So, would you say you weren't too crazy about The Stranger? I know I wasn't too crazy about it. .."

It was interesting in the academic/conceptual sense, which was why I gave it 4 stars. It really made me think about a few philosophical concepts.

But plot wise? It had me scratching my head. and I didn't really care for the main character either.

If it didn't have all that philosophy built in, I probably would have rated 2-3 stars - but then, without the philosophy, he might have had time for a better plot!


message 12: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
The Postman Always Rings Twice wins!


 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Ding Dong! Ding Dong!


back to top