Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > September Classic Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
It's time to vote for our September Classic Selection!

Please select a one book from our Classics Bookshelf and place your nomination here.

Nominations end on the 15th at which point the poll goes up.

Please refer to this shelf of Books Already Read so that we don't nominate previous selections.

Thank you!

message 2: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Aug 11, 2015 02:15PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Loretta wrote: "Since I'm new here could you please explain this process? Am I to pick a book from the Classics Bookshelf and then one from Books Already Read? Or just from one list? Or am I just totally confuse..."

Loretta,
Choose one from the classics bookshelf but confirm that we haven't already read the book by using the second link :)
Hope this helps.
Jen
PS While looking at any bookshelf, one notes the column "shelves," it notes whether book has been 'read', 'to-read,' or 'currently reading.' Just pick a book that you'd like that is marked as 'to-read.'

Here's an image, I highlighted the column in question.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 4.58.20 PM

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Loretta wrote: "Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Since I'm new here could you please explain this process? Am I to pick a book from the Classics Bookshelf and then one from Books Already Read? Or just from one lis..."

My pleasure :)

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

thank you jen!

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti England Made Me by Graham Greene
For no particular reason other than I like Graham Greene.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Melanti wrote: "England Made Me by Graham Greene
For no particular reason other than I like Graham Greene."

I've been meaning to read something by Greene.

message 8: by Melanti (last edited Aug 13, 2015 11:43AM) (new)

Melanti I've only read a couple but they were both very good.

Though judging by the ratings and listopia rankings, this probably isn't on par with the two I've read. Maybe I should find something else to nominate instead.

message 9: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 116 comments Always glad to read more Greene, though I don't know anything about Melanti's suggestion

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Hound of the Baskervilles wins!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments I recommend the most recent adaptation from the BBC's Sherlock after the read. An interesting modernization of the tale.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments I will have to catch that adaptation :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

It's about a big dog, big deal.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "Benedict Cumberbatch is always a big deal!"

I don't see the appeal. Brad Pitt I get.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 30, 2015 06:38AM) (new)

Mary wrote: "Sherlock is a fun show. I hope the writing doesn't slip. Moffat also writes for Doctor Who and I really think the last season fell short."

Mysteries infuriate me.

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly (whatwouldhollydo) I just read The Hound of the Baskervilles a few weeks ago. Looking forward to the discussions...while it's still fresh in my mind!