Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

TV&Movie Crime,Mystery&Thriller > What other TV do we watch/like.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
I must admit I don't tend to watch too much TV. I dolike a good thriller though.
I love watching cricket and have so far enjoyed watching England win back the Ashes.

I also like a good comedy but I expect it is my age I just don't think there are many good comedies these days.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments I agree. When it comes to comedies, there seems to be a general dumbing down in regard to content. I watch very little network TV, the exception being "The Black List". Mostly a PBS girl, I'm afraid.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I love a good play and I am also enjoying Partners in Crime, it is one of my favourite Christie books alongside Peter Parker.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Parry | 8 comments Judith wrote: "I love a good play and I am also enjoying Partners in Crime, it is one of my favourite Christie books alongside Peter Parker."

Isn't it brilliant - it's the highlight of my week!

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Judith wrote: "I love a good play and I am also enjoying Partners in Crime, it is one of my favourite Christie books alongside Peter Parker."

I'm loving it as well. David Walliams seems to be coming in for some criticism but I think he's brilliant and the whole thing is very well done.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Goodness, I think that the whole cast is perfect and especially David Walliams, just the right mixture of bumbling and success.

message 7: by David (new)

Haven't been watching Partners in Crime will have to have a look on BBC Iplayer or ITV one and see what it's like.

I must admit though I can't see Walliams as anything but a comic.

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I hope you enjoy it, it really is a delight, BBC1 Sundays at 9 pm

message 9: by David (new)

Right it's on the Beeb then. I'll have a search on Iplayer to catch up then.

message 10: by David (last edited Aug 12, 2015 04:33AM) (new)

I tell you what's on that my wife watches and to be honest I can happily miss it and that is The Great British Bake Off.

What I will say though is it can be quite good looking at the different cake designs. Last weeks Black Forest ones were good, well some of the designs were.

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I have never seen it, I know it is popular but cooking programmes leave me cold I have to admit.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments David wrote: "I tell you what's on that my wife watches and to be honest I can happily miss it and that is The Great British Bake Off.

What I will say though is it can be quite good looking at the different cak..."

I'm in Canada, David & for reasons I cannot explain, I became completely addicted to this show when it was on last year. I don't enjoy baking or reality TV so I have no clue why I was so hooked.

message 13: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments My daughter lives in Canada Sandy and when I visit I am always surprised how many of UK programmes she can watch. Maybe you just like the idea of all those gorgeous cakes :-)))

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments Have to admit, Judith, there was no small amount of drooling going on. But I think it was the contestants. They just seemed like such nice people. I wish we got more UK programming. Unfortunately we're inundated by mindless shows from the states where being rude & obnoxious is a prerequisite for getting on a reality show.

message 15: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I do agree, we tend to watch programmes like Big Bang, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family and that type of US programmes. We also like the Marvel and DC comic programmes. The reality programmes are not what we watch.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Judith wrote: "We also like the Marvel and DC comic programmes...."

We love the Marvel TV programmes and films. I'm especially enjoying Agent Carter at the moment.

message 17: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments A kindred spirit, I love S.H.E.I.L.D and was so pleased when it cmae to the U.K, we don't get The Flash or Green Arrow but fingers crossed and I can have an orgy of watching when I get to my daughter's. I am going to the cinema next week to see The Fantastic Four.

message 18: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Judith wrote: "I am going to the cinema next week to see The Fantastic Four. ..."

We saw it last night! Very enjoyable - much better than than I was lead to belive by the critics.

message 19: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Well you don't watch the Super heroes for the artistic content do you :-))) I just love them all,wait until Antman comes out!!!

message 20: by David (new)

Antman is out. It was out from mid July in UK anyway.

message 21: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I did not know that, my friend usually tells me, I will have to ask her when she wants to go, thank you David.

message 22: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Yes we've seen Antman as well - very good!

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I am hoping to see both the films very soon, I don't want to miss them

message 24: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments Susan wrote: "Judith wrote: "I love a good play and I am also enjoying Partners in Crime, it is one of my favourite Christie books alongside Peter Parker."

Isn't it brilliant - it's the highlight of my week!"
I'm enjoying Partners in Crime too, much to my surprise!

message 25: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments Ruth wrote: "Judith wrote: "I love a good play and I am also enjoying Partners in Crime, it is one of my favourite Christie books alongside Peter Parker."

I'm loving it as well. David Walliams seems to be comi..."
Couldn't agree more, especially about David Walliams - he does it really well.

message 26: by David (new)

Totally odd thing I know but we have been watching "Flockstars" where celebrities have to learn how to control a border collie dog to herd sheep. They then have a contest against each other over a set course.

I am not usually into celebrity reality stuff but this is good. The dogs are absolutely brilliant and worth watching to see them go and react to so very few commands. It's amazing how the real shepherds train them to such a standard.

message 27: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments It is always good to see these very intelligent dogs do their job.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) I have begun watching NCIS...really good and on for about 10 years so lots to watch. I think I have run out of British mysteries and cop shows offered by Netflix. :(

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Btw I have a border collie and he herds the children! Great dog with endless energy and focus...love him.

message 30: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Castle is fun too especially if you can start at the beginning to watch the characters emerge.

message 31: by David (last edited Aug 21, 2015 12:15AM) (new)

Yes I watch Castle but I guess over here we are behind the US. I am in the series where for some bizarre reason Castle the novelist with the Police has been kicked away from helping the police and is now a PI.
Not quite sure why they did that.

message 32: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Nor me, I do miss a lot of episodes, they are on so many different Freeview channels.

message 33: by David (new)

Right I watch it on Alibi channel Judith but that channel isn't on freeview.

message 34: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments No, there might look a lot of choice on Freeview but if you look at the programmes on offer you realise that choice is very limited.

message 35: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments I quite like Castle. It has good humour as well as the police stuff stuff; and an author of course!

message 36: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments And the star of Firefly just to put the cherry on the cake :-)))

message 37: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Judith wrote: "Castle is fun too especially if you can start at the beginning to watch the characters emerge."

We watched Castle right from the beginning a while ago when Alibi showed an episode every night right through 'til it caught up with it's current transmission.

Until then I'd just caught the odd episode which I'd watched in the background while I was pottering around, and you're right watching them back-to-back you really got to know the characters.

message 38: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments I really enjoyed the recent series of 3 programmes on Japan. Even though i'd been there (Tokyo) I hadn't realised how close to Russia it is, how long it is from North to South, and what an amazing range in climates there is.

message 39: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I always thought Japan was quite small in terms of land mass, obviously I was wrong,

message 40: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments You could be right in terms of land mass, not very wide, but 2,000 miles long!

message 41: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Wow, I would never have got thaqt answer correct in a quiz.

message 42: by David (last edited Sep 23, 2015 01:43AM) (new)

Has anyone been watching Secrets and Lies?

It is on Watch in the UK but is a US programme about a man who discovers a dead child whilst jogging but then suspicion falls on him as the murderer.

http://watch.uktv.co.uk/shows/secrets...

message 43: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Not heard of that one, mind you I can only get Freeview so I am a bit limited. I am enjoying The Murdoch Mysteries and The Last Detective at the moment.

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments Recently watched "Churchill's Secret" with the incomparable Michael Gambon on Masterpiece.

message 45: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments Sandy wrote: "Recently watched "Churchill's Secret" with the incomparable Michael Gambon on Masterpiece." I watched that too, utterly brilliant I thought.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments L.A. wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Recently watched "Churchill's Secret" with the incomparable Michael Gambon on Masterpiece." I watched that too, utterly brilliant I thought."

Hi L.A. I swear Gambon could show up & utter complete gibberish & you still wouldn't be able to stop watching him.

message 47: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 100 comments Sandy wrote: "L.A. wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Recently watched "Churchill's Secret" with the incomparable Michael Gambon on Masterpiece." I watched that too, utterly brilliant I thought."

Hi L.A. I swear Gambon coul..."
Sandy you're absolutely right. Mesmerising.

message 48: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I really enjoy The Big Bang Theory. Currently I am loving Poldark, I have read the books until they are falling apart. I have got the complete set of the 1970's series too.

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) David wrote: "Has anyone been watching Secrets and Lies?

It is on Watch in the UK but is a US programme about a man who discovers a dead child whilst jogging but then suspicion falls on him as the murderer.

ht..."

I watched Secrets and Lies a year or two ago and liked it a lot. I still remember it so it must have been good.

message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) I finally broke down and paid for Shetland on Amazon. I kept waiting for it to come to Acorn. Anyway, I am loving it--the scenery is so beautiful that it didn't even matter that I couldn't understand a word they were saying! :-) The stories are really good too once I put the subtitles on (ha). Definitely worth paying for.

« previous 1