Doggies! discussion

what other good dog books are out there?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SpiralPup (new)

SpiralPup | 13 comments Mod
I know I've seen or read more...but what other good books are out there?

message 2: by gramma (new)

gramma (hurley-waldrip) | 4 comments jack london/call of the wild, a c doyle/hound of the baskervilles. google "dogs in fiction" and check out the barnes & noble site. there was a kid series "big red" and others that i liked. and wasn't "lassie" a book? there was the mad dog in "to kill a mockingbird" that atticus shot. (still one of the best of the best books.) hello friends!

message 3: by gramma (new)

gramma (hurley-waldrip) | 4 comments oh yeah...there's a dog character in dana stabenow's series starring heroine kate shugat and her alaskan malamute sidekick mutt, who's also a tough girl. this author is currently my favorite read.

message 4: by SpiralPup (new)

SpiralPup | 13 comments Mod
well, crap, ma! Add them to the group's bookshelf! =)

message 5: by gramma (new)

gramma (hurley-waldrip) | 4 comments i would if i could figure out how! this site is NOT user friendly.

message 6: by Tleigh (new)

Tleigh | 3 comments I've added Where the Red Fern grows. It's one of my all time favourite books.

message 7: by Madisen (new)

Madisen I like the book series Shiloh, The story of a dog's life by Ann M. Martin, and uh................. Old Yeller

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 4 comments I added a few new ones to the bookshelf!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (cheneynuts) I just added one to the bookshelf here; Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merril Markoe. I really enjoyed it. Fiction about a woman who one day hears all dogs talking to her. Funny and cute. I definitely recommend.

message 10: by Edith (new)

Edith (opheliaflowers) | 5 comments I added 2 books. You might want to check them out if you can read French.

message 11: by Bresdin (new)

Bresdin | 2 comments I Loved Walking in Circles before lying down. It was very cute, however the ending was dull. I am reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and it is told in the POV of a yellow lab mix as he tells his life story. It is really well written and incredibly funny. The dog is very smart and i would REALLY recommend this book to dog lovers.

message 12: by Sanfordgrant (new)

Sanfordgrant | 7 comments An classic book, the first rescue dog. Beautiful Joe is an amazing book!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (MiniMinx) | 6 comments The Dog Who Danced is a lovely read. The Art Of Racing in the Rain is highly recomended!

message 14: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn (FLDSMDFR) I wonderful and emotional book is A Dogs Purpose. It will make you laugh, cry, get angry, and so many other emotions I can't even explain! It will make you feel differently of your dog after you read it. There is a second one that is called A Dogs Journey and it's just as good. I highly recommend it.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) for all animal lovers, anything by Joh Katz is worth reading. His Bedlam farm must be an interesting place to visit

message 16: by Mildred (last edited Mar 07, 2013 06:05PM) (new)

Mildred A. Drost, DVM (MildredADrostDVM) | 3 comments I have written about the wonderful dogs that were rescues in my book 'Until One Has Loved an Animal', by Mildred A Drost DVM. Stories of my experiences with my malamutes and with rescued dogs and cats. You could try that book.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments Finding Catalina has an awesome Newfie in it. It's a suspense/romance, if interested.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annmul) | 1 comments SpiralPup wrote: "I know I've seen or read more...but what other good books are out there?"

Have you read A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron? Loved it!

message 19: by Connie (new)

Connie Newcomb | 3 comments Hi there!
I'd like to suggest my new book, DOG SHOW CONFIDENTIAL (Sneaking in the back door of Westminster) It is a true story about my adventures in the world of dog shows. It is very funny and happy, I hate sad dog books! I would be willing to give away a copy or two so you could let me know what you think of it. Please check out my website, http://dogshowconfidential.com

message 20: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 3 comments Katie up and down the hall

message 21: by Abbey (new)

Abbey One of the best nonfiction books I've read - Dog Man: An Uncommon Life on a Faraway Mountain by Martha Sherrill. It's the story of a Japanese man who moved far out into the mountains and was instrumental in bringing back the Akita breed from near extinction after World War II. The parts about the dogs are fascinating, but so is the insight into Japanese life, and Japanese wives. I gave it a 5 star review. Hope you enjoy.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments Thanks for listing. I'll look for it. Definitely ready for an interesting "dog read" that isn't a "how to" or a tear jerker!

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering | 2 comments Sanfordgrant wrote: "An classic book, the first rescue dog. Beautiful Joe is an amazing book!"

I bought this one in an early 1900 printing. It still has the onion sheets between the illustrated pages. I haven't read it yet though--I wonder if I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

message 24: by Ali (new)

Ali (Ali4946) | 1 comments Hi! I recently read The Lost Dogs,Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant. This is a tough read but well worth the tears!

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (MiniMinx) | 6 comments Thanks for the tip Ali! I'll grab the tissue box!

message 26: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (booksndogs) | 2 comments Ali wrote: "Hi! I recently read The Lost Dogs,Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant. This is a tough read but well worth the tears!"

I agree. This is such a wonderful book. Made me cry too.

message 27: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amalley71) | 5 comments Bresdin wrote: "I Loved Walking in Circles before lying down. It was very cute, however the ending was dull. I am reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and it is told in the POV of a yellow lab mix as he tells h..."

Loved this book!!!

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (MiniMinx) | 6 comments Jodi wrote: "Ali wrote: "Hi! I recently read The Lost Dogs,Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant. This is a tough read but well worth the tears!"

I agree. This is such a wo..."

One of my favorites too :)

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Port | 4 comments Children's book that is great for all ages: For the Love of Winn Dixie.

message 30: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Clinton (MKClinton) | 5 comments Carol wrote: "Thanks for listing. I'll look for it. Definitely ready for an interesting "dog read" that isn't a "how to" or a tear jerker!" If you enjoy fun dog stories and laughing, The Returns will wfill that need. You can read the first 3 chapters free. ☺

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments Aha, another blatant attempt at self-promotion. :-)
The book sounds like fun, I will give it a try.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Kramer (laurenkramer) | 1 comments You have to read "Flawed Dogs: The Shocking Raid on Westminster." This story has a great cast of characters. And being the proud owner of several "flawed" dogs, I found the book very relatable in its message.

message 33: by Joey (last edited Sep 07, 2014 05:48PM) (new)

Joey Camen (goodreadscomuser_joeycamen) | 1 comments My Life with Snoopy: How One Shelter Dog's Love Changed a Man's Life and Other Tails of Adventurehttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Check out my book. It's about my 13 year relationship with my shelter dog. I take you from puppyhood to end of life with many funny and sad stories in-between.

Cheers,
Joey

message 34: by Odd (new)

Odd Otis (LethalWhite) | 2 comments "Odd Otis" is story told with humor and down-home charm. It is about a blind and deaf dog and his highly unusual, but true, story.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Port | 4 comments If we're self-promoting, I can recommend an adorable and laugh out loud tail: When eating dog kibble gives a young girl the ability to talk to dogs, she risks all to help her Great Dane fulfill his lifelong wish of becoming a lap dog. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 36: by Odd (new)

Odd Otis (LethalWhite) | 2 comments "Odd Otis" is available on Amazon.com Books in both kindle and paperback versions. It is a true and heartwarming story told with down home charm and humor.

message 37: by Kenton (new)

Kenton Kilgore | 1 comments In LOST DOGS (now on Amazon), two dogs survive the end of the human world, only to find that their struggles are just beginning. The post below introduces the major characters, as well as links to the first chapter and where you can find the book (including a discount for the softcover).

http://kentonkilgore.com/blog/2014/09...

Lost Dogs Lost Dogs by Kenton Kilgore