Leaving Time Leaving Time discussion

What did people think of Alice?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monica Shoshanna Part of me felt a bit sorry for her, as it can't be easy being with someone who has a mental illness, but at the same time I felt that she was really impulsive to marry Thomas who she barely knows. I know she wanted Jenna to grow up with her father, but I still felt she was a bit impulsive. I know you can't force someone with a mental illness to get help, but she should have stood by him and got him sectioned. I think it was a hard situation though. I think she must have been desperately unhappy to have an affair with Gideon.

Dramapuppy Monica wrote: "Part of me felt a bit sorry for her, as it can't be easy being with someone who has a mental illness, but at the same time I felt that she was really impulsive to marry Thomas who she barely knows...."

Agreed. I was never a big fan of her choices, but the reason I love Picoult's work is that she creates characters who you don't agree with, but still connect to. She was messed up but I was able to understand all of her choices. Mental illness or not, Thomas was abusive and no one should have to put up with that.

Wendy Nelson I don't think she should have stayed with Thomas, but having the affair was completely wrong, especially with Gideon's wife Grace being so kind as to watch Alice's daughter. Alice did try to fight the affair to some extent, but she should have tried harder.

I did respect Alice for her research and love for her daughter.

Karolyn Having the affair was the key point I believe in the story. It is what changed everything.

Wendy Nelson Definitely the affair helps drive the plot. I was just saying from a moral standpoint, I thought it was the wrong response to the situation. Alice seemed to realize that she was in the wrong as she tried to fight the affair by suggesting that Grace tell Gideon she was unable to have children so that they could try to adopt, etc. Ultimately though she gave in.

Karolyn Wendy wrote: "Definitely the affair helps drive the plot. I was just saying from a moral standpoint, I thought it was the wrong response to the situation. Alice seemed to realize that she was in the wrong as she..."

Yes Wendy I see your point.

Lorrie Karolyn wrote: "Having the affair was the key point I believe in the story. It is what changed everything."

I agree, the affair changed everything. There was no turning back. Jenna and her elephants were no longer #1. She even admitted that after one encounter, she had forgotten about everything else.

Diane I thought Alice was very reckless with her decisions. There is NO WAY I could have been away from the house with my sleeping 3 year old. I guess I was a nervous mother.

Ruth Unquestionably Alice made some very bad decisions, but doesn't everyone from time to time? Flawed characters are more interesting characters. No one understands that better than Jodi Picoult.

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Cantor Dramapuppy wrote: "Monica wrote: "Part of me felt a bit sorry for her, as it can't be easy being with someone who has a mental illness, but at the same time I felt that she was really impulsive to marry Thomas who sh..."
Yes and he was not a good father, he was never around. Gideon spent more time with Jenna, but what inwanted to know (spoiler, dont read if u didnt read tge book, butbthen if u didnt I dont know why u would read this question,) when Alice reunited with Gideon, was he alive or dead? I think Jenna was afraid of Gideon bc he was revealing things she was not ready hear.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Cantor Diane wrote: "I thought Alice was very reckless with her decisions. There is NO WAY I could have been away from the house with my sleeping 3 year old. I guess I was a nervous mother." I think if Alice was aware of her husbands iresponsible begavior, bshe would not have left Jenbavalone with him. Grace was like a second mom to jenna and looked out for her until things got bad.

message 12: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Cantor Wendy wrote: "I don't think she should have stayed with Thomas, but having the affair was completely wrong, especially with Gideon's wife Grace being so kind as to watch Alice's daughter. Alice did try to fight ..."

Yes Grace was like a sister to her and was loyal and she deserved respect. I think Grace was insecure bc her motger was such a vontrol freak.