A New Earth discussion

Comparison Read: Marianne Williamson's, "The Gift of Change."

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) I've added Marianne Williamson's, The Gift of Change to our list of books to read for the group. You might find that it's a great companion read to A New Earth. Especially if you're having a difficult time getting through A New Earth.

message 2: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Thank you for mentioning "The Gift of Change." I'm going to look for it the next time I am out.

message 3: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) I'm up to Chapter Four now and it's a great companion read to Tolle's book! I took a break from reading because I took a holiday with my sister and her family. This has been a month of taking trips and / or recuperating. It's been fun, but it also feels good to be home again and ready to start reading again!

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn I was out and about Friday and bought, "The Gift of Change." I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you for mentioning it to the group.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 1 comments I just ordered The Gift of Change and can't wait to get it on Thursday from amazon. I'm a long time fan of Marianne Williamson and the Course in Miracles. Thanks for suggesting this as a companion to A New Earth!

message 6: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Let me know what you think!

message 7: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 29, 2008 12:05PM) (new)

Kathrynn I read the Introduction to the "Gift of Change" last night and I LIKED it! It goes along nicely with "A New Earth..." Some points I would like to point out:

1. Page 3, Fourth Paragraph down, "Life is not a piece of tragic fiction, in which at the end of the reading we all get up and go out for drinks."

- Isn't that the truth! It's your life. If you aren't happy with it, make some changes. If you keep beating your head up against the proverbial wall, you aren't on the path meant for you. Make a change. When you step the right direction, you will feel it...all the way to your toes.

Page 3, Fifth Paragraph down, "Who we ourselves become, how we grow and change and face the challenges of our own lives, is intimately and causally connected to how the world will change over the next few years."
-- Like the "New Earth" says the world is a projection of our individual psyches....
-- Altogether what this is about is, "...becoming the change that will change the world."
-- Prepare to take a hard look at yourself and be honest.
--- Dr. Phil, "Can't change what you don't acknowlege."

2. Page 4, Returning Love: you have to dismantle the thought system (madness) based on fear and base it on love. "Its goal is attaining inner peace through practicing foregiveness."
-- Hard pill to swallow, I know.

3. Page 6, First Paragraph, "That's the spiritual meaning of every situation: not what happens to us, but what we DO with what happens to us and who we decide to BECOME because of what happens to us."
-- I've always had a hard time with the saying, "You don't get handed more in life than you can handle." I think that's a load of manure...albeit nicely wrapped. Does that mean people that have lost children (abducted, killed, etc) had that happen to them because they could handle it?

4. Page 10, Last Paragraph, "Each of us is connected to a cosmic umbilical cord, receiving spirtual nourishment from God each moment."
- We are connected. I wholeheartedly believe this. WE are damaging OUR rainforests. WE WE WE are destroying our planet. It's collective.

5. Page 12, Last Paragraph, For some it may feel like the great end, but need to look at it as the great beginning. It is time to let go of those old feelings (ego/madness) and become the flower (who we are capable of being). "That is the gift that awaits us now: the chance to become who we really are."
..."the gift of change."

Yeah, boy!
(pardon the typo's)