Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > thinking ahead

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
5 quarters of an Orange is officially underway. (we'll get some discussion questions up asap)
But a few people are already done with it and everyone seems to be a pretty quick reader. Lets get some discussion about future books. Would you guys like to have say 2-3 books at time up to appeal to diferent tastes? or to keep up with fast readers? or just for varity? One main read and other discussion reads? One is enough? What should be next? Historical fiction? Mystery? Sci-fi? Modern? Classic? Biography? Lets get some chatter on what youd like to see for group reads, and are you willing to host the discussion of the book or just suggesting?

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy (cc730) | 13 comments I'd love to read a classic. I always mean to, but never seem to get the ambition to do it. I love historical fiction and biographies too.

message 3: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 6 comments How about Invisible Man by Ellison?

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Feb 21, 2008 08:53AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I definitely think we should mix it up. I'm an urban fantasy woman, but I need to branch out, for sure! We can rotate through the genres every 3 weeks (or month, or 2 weeks, whatever we decide). But I do think that one main read is the best way to go. I'm waaaaay too busy to read more than that. You people are speed readers! That is so awesome, and I'm jealous! Besides, what's stopping us from talking about other stuff on the side, even if it's not our main choice? We're already doing it! :) haha

Anyway, I'd be willing to lead a discussion in a few months (after tax season). There's a biography I'd like to read about CS Lewis and Tolkein's friendship. And there are a couple books by authors on Goodreads that seem pretty interesting. Oh, hey, maybe whoever is going to lead the discussion can choose the book?

No matter what, I'm sure our group is going to evolve into its own life with its own traditions and everything. I think as long as we're willing to go with the flow and see what works, it'll be fab...

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments So, Tera, what are you thinking of the suggestions so far? I've been looking through some of the bookshelves here on Goodreads, and I'm still so amazed at how similar and yet how different all of our bookshelves are here on Chicks on Lit.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 53 comments I think it would be neat to do a volume of poetry...

message 7: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
i hadn't really thought much about it but like all the suggestions given so far. I love the classics and poetry. I checked on Invisible Man on Amazon and it looks very interesting also.
What kind of poetry were you guys thinking? I think if we did poetry maybe we could do a novel also. Poetry, for me atleast, is like rich dessert I have to take small bites at a time to really enjoy it. Maybe Maya Angelou? I think there is a lot of discussion and context in her work and I havent read it all or even read any of it in years. I also would be up for Emily Dickinson I would love to understand her works and herself better.
Classics I've always wanted to read Count of Monte Cristo but haven't (I loved the movie)
Anything Jane Austen
I've always thought Frankenstien would be interesting. Totally not what I normally pick up but ive heard really good things about the book.
The biography about CS Lews and Tolkein caught my interest as I love Lewis' non fiction work. I am fascinated by his takes on christianity and his conversion from athiest to christian.
Modern Lit Im anxious to read About A Boy. I have The Poisonwood Bible on my to-read list too and have heard good things about that.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Tera, if you're interested in CS Lewis's conversion, read Surprised by Joy...

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 53 comments In regards to what kind of poetry we would read...as much as I love Maya Angelou I think it would be more fun to delve into a poet who isn't as discussed.

Tera...Emily Dickinson would be fantastic! (I have a masters in Early American Poetry...with a focus ON EDickinson.) There's a fantastic book called "Open Me Carefully" that's an amazing read...we could actually combine the book and the poetry together!

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
How many are ready for another book? Finished or not into 5 quarters of the Orange? Who wants to pick/lead the next book?

message 11: by Amanda (last edited Feb 25, 2008 07:51AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments On 5 Quarters, we still have until friday right (the 29th)?

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Feb 25, 2008 09:01AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Yep yep. I dont mean to rush anyone through the current book. I just thought if someone had an idea we could keep it in mind as we shop or library hunt for books. I notice a few like to order their books online so it would give them to order and recieve the book with more time.
I love all the ideas that have come up already. Eager to see where we go next.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments I haven't read any poetry since college, & that was a long time ago! But I would not mind being nudged by this group to read a little Emily D. or Keats. I think Tera's metaphor of poetry and a rich dessert is true for me, too. A little goes a long way.
As to 5 Quarters, I'm about 2/3's of the way through the book.

message 14: by Amanda (last edited Feb 26, 2008 05:30AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Then why don't we do Open Me Carefully? Sounds like there was enough of a shout from the poetry corner to go that route; plus, as poetry goes, EDickinson is about as classic as you can get, right? We can get our feet wet for later when we do Invisible Man or whatever. Tera, you're the boss; what do you think? And what about timeline? 2 weeks from this Friday (the 5Q deadline) would be March 14th. Or do we need 3? I have a feeling that it'll take ME longer to read than just a straight up novel.

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige Anderson | 30 comments That could be interesting. I'll be teaching another American Lit course online this summer and could use some new ideas about the poetry I'm including. I do have to admit that teaching poetry is a PAIN since most undergraduates couldn't care less about it. It usually takes some maturity for students to really get involved in a poetry discussion.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara | 53 comments Paige...I feel your pain. haha When I was in grad school I taught a Comp 101 class and a Poetry class...for some reason kids just don't give two you know what's about it. I know it doesn't exactly make or break life, but it can at least open up the world a little bit.

Poetry is one of those stigma attached things. Men who write or enjoy poetry are often times looked at as effeminate...women are often times the ones that are looked at as the poetry reading sect of the population...

Maybe you should start out with some really strong poetry...or something that's really accessible instead of the old standards...

eh, just a few ideas...

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
So sounds like people are good with Open Me Carefully? I read the Amazon review and it does sound interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Open-Carefully-... I like that we will learn about her and have poetry at the same time.
Sooooo.... Sara would you like to lead the discussion on this one? Seems you have the most background of it and could really help with any questions we may have.
What kind of a timeline do you think we need with this one? It has 315 pages but it seems a majority may be letters to and from. Two weeks? Less? We can start on Friday? Next Monday?

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 53 comments I say at least two weeks...and I'd love to lead the discussion on this one.

I say let's get a feel for what everyone thinks about doing something like this...and see where everyone is at with 5Quarters and then pick a start date!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (happybird) | 6 comments I'm up for poetry... as far as 5Quarters, I just picked up my book, but hoping to have some time tonight to read it around studying for college midterms and readings I have to do for classes. Just so you ladies know, I will be a lot more active into the discussions this summer or on school breaks than during the school year; I am working around 35 hours a week and taking a full load of grad classes.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 53 comments Jennifer...GOOD LUCK!

message 21: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
anyone else have thoughts, suggestions, violent abject protests, fleeding wandering thoughts, randomness to share on the subject?

message 22: by Jules (new)

Jules (juliemetz) | 27 comments poetry scares me, but I would be willing to give it a try....I don't think I've had much exposure to good poetry. It'd be good prep for me because I need to take another Comp class this summer!

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 11 comments Okay...I have put a hold on it at the library. I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday.

This will be branching out for me,but I am excited. I would love to know more about her and her poetry.

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments I just ordered Open Me Carefully from Amazon, along with The Ghost Mountain Boys, since my library does not have either book. I hope they will arrive before spring break in one week so I can take them with me. But the official ship date is 3/6, so it will be close. How long do we have to read Open Me Carefully?

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin Swanson | 9 comments Ugh, what are you guys trying to do to me? It's bad enough that I am venturing into fiction, now you want me to read poetry? ( I am in need of some sarcastic looking smilies on this post)

I will admit that I have been poetry-phobic up until lately. I just helped DD with some of her poetry unit in English class, and I discovered that- *gasp* I really liked some of it.

College pretty much spoiled poetry for me, I had a psycho ex-boyfriend leaving poetry at my doorstep and an English professor who loved to discuss poetry, as long as you agreed with her interpretation down to the letter. (Or you were massively down-graded, which I was.) Now, a couple of decades later I will be brave and try it again.

I just put the book on hold at the library, I will probably pick it up by the weekend.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) i'm for the Invisible Man by Ellison! i've always wanted to read it ~ the original black & white movie version has been one of my fav's for years!

poetry... not so sure about that, but willing to give it a shot!

what specifically do i have to request from the library?!

message 27: by Paige (new)

Paige Anderson | 30 comments If you want to see/listen to some poetry that will definitely change your mind, positively, look up Taylor Mali's clips on YouTube. He's a former teacher who is a national champion slam poet. His "What a Teacher Makes" is sooo awesome. And for laughs, "The The Impotence of Proofreading" will have you snorting Coke through your nose!

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 0 comments I've just started The Omnivores Dilemma and would love to have peopel to talk about it with!

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Paige, I watched that youtube clip. Amazing and true--I got a little teary-eyed...

message 30: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
For everyone who is dreading a poetry read I did a bit of a search on the book and hopefully you will be happy to hear it is not a pure poetry read. The book is actually a collection of letters between Emily and her Sis-in-law that have not been released before. It is more of an insight into Emily rather than a discussion of her work. She is a pretty fascinating person on her own. A recluse even in her own home and very mysterious. I think we have some great suggestions and wouldnt mind at all if someone stands up and says "i want to lead the next discussion on ________ ". I think its good to rotate it as much as possible.
Sara you said that you wouldnt mind leading this discussion. When did you want to start with this book and a recommended end date? Anything we should look for or at as we begin this book?

message 31: by Rolana (new)

Rolana | 22 comments I'm game for anything. I must admit that I didn't care for Five Quarters of the Orange at all. I love poetry, it would definitely be different to do that.

message 32: by Abby (new)

Abby Kristen, I'll read Omnivore's Dilemma with you. My mother just read it for her book group and said they had a really interesting discussion on it.

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 0 comments Excellent! I must admit it has taken me a little while to get into so far, but it does give a LOT of information that makes for some good discussions.

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments I've finished 5 Quarters along with several others now and was wondering when do we start the book discussion? I can't remember the date that was posted now. Thanks.

message 35: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
that is the frustrating thing about Goodreads is that it only allows so many topics to be visible in one section at a time. I brought up the discussion page for 5 quarters of the orange because it had gotten bumped down below a visible side.
I posted some questions from the book but please feel free to add any thoughts or questions you had. I BTT'd it for people to be able to discuss further.