Stephen King Fans discussion

Other Books (Non-King) > The Stand; compare to Earth Abides

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Check out Stewart's _Earth Abides_ to get an idea what I'm talking about here. A precussor to King's _The Stand_, Stewart goes on to describe what becomes of the world as we knew it. How different cultures evolve over short times is engrossing.
Highly recommended for anyone into post apopalytic reads.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 35 comments Tom wrote: "Check out Stewart's _Earth Abides_ to get an idea what I'm talking about here. A precussor to King's _The Stand_, Stewart goes on to describe what becomes of the world as we knew it. How differen..."

You are the first person I have come in contact with that has read this book.
I read it a couple years ago for a Environmental English class.

I did not compare it to the stand because I have not read that book yet but it does go into alot of what kind of things someone might need to deal with once the majority of the human race is gone. It is one of my favorite books actually.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments YAYYYYY!
A truly deep thinking person. That must have been an interesting class. What level was the class? The focus was on Environmental Writing? What other books did you read for the class?

message 4: by Mary (last edited Jul 22, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

Mary | 35 comments Tom wrote: "YAYYYYY!
A truly deep thinking person. That must have been an interesting class. What level was the class? The focus was on Environmental Writing? What other books did you read for the class?"

It was a 300 level class and did include lots of reading and writing and it was very interesting and most of the writing and discussion was focused on environment.
Here are alist of the books for the class that was required:

Radical Ecology, Carolyn Merchant, Routledge
The Monkey-Wrench Gang, Edward Abbey
Woman on the Edge of Time, Marge Piercy
Ecotopia Emerging, Ernest Callenbach
Ishmael, Daniel Quinn
The Fifth Sacred Thing, Starhawk
Forty Signs of Rain, Kim Stanley Robinson

Then the optional books, the ones we could choose for our final essay were:

Earth Abides, George Stewart
Earth, David Brin
Zodiac, Neal Stephenson
Power, Linda Hogan
Gold Coast, Kim Stanley Robinson
A Friend of the Earth, T. C. Boyle

There was another Eng class I took before the environmental class same teacher same level -- Science Fiction English class. This class was also alot of reading and writing and we worked in collaboration within a group to create a world and characters and story line and stuff. I really enjoyed it.