Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > September 2015 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the September Group Reads and will close on 19th August 2015 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 21st to 27th August 2015 inclusive.

You may nominate 1 book in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by David (new)

Right I am putting forward this, A Seaside Mourning: An Inspector Abbs Mystery by John Bainbridge for the Value Book and with it will be a Q & A with the author John Bainbridge.

Now while I'm not suggesting you can't nominate other books for the value book it is always good to get a Q&A with the author so it would be good if it went unopposed.

The book is
A Seaside Mourning An Inspector Abbs Mystery by John Bainbridge

Book Blurb is...
"An atmospheric Victorian murder mystery set in 1873.

The small seaside resort of Seaborough, half-forgotten on the edge of Devonshire, seems an unlikely setting for murder.

When a leading resident dies, the cause of death is uncertain. Inspector Abbs and Sergeant Reeve are sent from Exeter to determine whether the elderly spinster was poisoned.

As mourning rituals are observed and the town prepares for an elaborate funeral, no one seems to have a motive for ending a blameless life.

Under increasing pressure, Inspector Josiah Abbs must search the past for answers as he tries to catch a killer.

When the autumn leaves fall and secrets are laid bare, revealing a murderer may prove dangerous…"

message 3: by David (new)

Come on people only 2 days left and not 1 nomination for the main group read.

Lets get those nominations in.

message 4: by David (new)

And just so we have at least a nomination I am going for
The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2) by Mo Hayder

The Treatment by Mo Hayder

"A quiet residential street in south London.

A husband and wife are discovered, imprisoned in their own home. Badly dehydrated, they've been bound and beaten. He is close to death. But worse is to come: their young son is missing.

When Detective Inspector Jack Caffery is called in to investigate, the similarities with events in his own past make it impossible for him to view this new crime dispassionately.

And as he digs deeper - as he attempts to hold his own life together in the face of ever more disturbing revelations about both his past and his present - the real nightmare begins ..."

I don't think we have read one of Mo Hayder's books so it could be good on that score. Also this one although second in the Jack Caffery series, has been made into a film. Hopefully if the film world can see something in it to make a movie it should be a good read.

message 5: by David (new)

No other nominations?

Unusual situation that. I will give it until Saturday so if anyone has a late nomination then please say otherwise we will go with the two above.

message 6: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Just came back from vacation so sliding in under the wire here.

Bargain book:

Damian Boyd's Head in the Sand Head In The Sand (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series #2) by Damien Boyd This is book 2 in the series and I am pretty sure we read the first one over a year ago. Currently able to be borrowed for free on Amazon.com or purchase for $3.99

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Another suggestion currently $7.99 so a little more pricey Down into Darkness by David Lawrence Down into Darkness (DS Stella Mooney, #4) by David Lawrence

This one caught my eye because it is on Booklist's 101 Best Crime Novels of the Decade 2006-2015 and I don't believe I've read anything by this author

message 8: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments David wrote: "And just so we have at least a nomination I am going for
The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2) by Mo Hayder

The Treatment by Mo Hayder

"A quiet residential street in south London.

A husband and wife are discove..."

I've only read one Mo Hayder book Birdman and found it disturbingly graphic but very well written. I'd give this one a shot.

message 9: by David (new)

Thanks for the nominations fanficfan, it's always good to have others choices and variety in the nominations.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Mine is coming up soon.

message 10: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments David wrote: "Thanks for the nominations fanficfan, it's always good to have others choices and variety in the nominations.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Mine is coming up soon."

Thanks - I was taking my daughter back to college in Mississippi and spent a couple extra days in New Orleans. It's a fun place to visit. We got to eat at one of Emeril Lagasse's restaurants, the Delmonico. Have fun on yours as well.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 2 comments I would read the Mo Hayder book, but I haven't read "Birdman" yet, though it's on my shortlist. I'm retentive about series. I have to read in order. From what I can tell, people either love or hate Hayder for her graphicness (word?). I read "Pig Island" a few years ago and a lot of people hated it, according to reviews. The story actually has stayed with me and it was one of my first Kindle downloads - either free or extremely cheap. The Caffery aeries is one I've been looking forward to.

message 12: by David (new)

OK nominations are closed and due to extending nominations the vote will start tomorrow to the 30th.