Book Haven discussion

Specific authors > The Brontes

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments My favorite Bronte sister is Charlotte, with Jane Eyre being one of my favorite books of all time.
The more I look back on Wuthering Heights the more I see that Emily probably was brillant, but it didn't get to me quite like Jane Eyre did.
Anne is probably my least favorite since I did not like Agnes Grey much at all.

message 2: by new_user (last edited Jul 09, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

new_user Jane Eyre. *hugs Rorchester plushie* I do like Wuthering Heights too in a crazy sort of way. LOL.

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 18 comments I've just finished reading Shirley by Charlotte Bronte. I have 2 more of her stories to read. So far, my favorite is Jane Eyre. I could not put that one down!

message 4: by Selina (new)

Selina (selinatng) | 2 comments I like Jane Eyre too. I haven't read any other book from any of the Bronte sisters except Jane Eyre. What do you like about Jane Eyre ? I admire her for adhering to her principles and Christian values and not staying at Thornton Hall when Rochester begged her to. I also admire her standing up against her cousin and not go to India with him. I rather like Charlotte Bronte's writing. Although there are lengthy description, the plot still seemed quite fast-paced and I could feel the suspense when reading it.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, I liked Jane Eyre because it was just so dramatic and romantic, what with the sounds in the halls and Rochester's mysterious past and the ending! *teartearsnifftear* I agree with you. Apart from the rather slow teaching-in-the-countryside episodes, the book was pretty fast-paced.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I loved what a strong female character Jane was. Even though you know she wanted to stay because it was easy, she held to her principles and wouldn't let Mr. Rochester off the hook for how he acted. I am also a fan of Pride and Prejudice, but when it comes to a strong female character I would argue that Jane Eyre is a better example than Elizabeth Bennett.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I have read "Villette," "Wuthering Heights," and "Jane Eyre." I found them all rather dark, and think I need to revisit them soon. It's been quite a few years since I have tried to appreciate them. Maybe now I am older that time has come.