Morning Coffee Group discussion

How far along are you in WWE?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 187 comments Mod
I am only 100 pages deep, havnt had time to read in the last few days..hope to really plow through it this week!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I haven't started it yet! I'm still waiting for the hard copy of my book to arrive :(

message 3: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I finished my book for my off-line book club yesterday, so I am planning to start WWE tonight. I should be able to get through a good part of it this weekend since my daughter is with her father and the forecast calls for rain.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Don't have a copy yet. Was going to start on Pillars but think I will try and get a copy tomorrow to join into this discussion. Do you think I can catch up?

message 5: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) It seems like everyone is just starting WWE and I have given the group a month to read it. You should be okay.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Phew.

And here I thought I was going to be behind because I didn't start tonight!

I was too busy watching the moon disappear and reappear!

Nature's magic...it's the coolest stuff ever.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm on page 300. I put it down for awhile to read Outlander and kinds got hooked into that.

It's been so hazy here in Salt Lake I couldn't see the moon at all. Bummer!!

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim ok...got my copy....on my way. Wow...it is really daunting! I hate starting a book....love reading it..but hate being on page 1....and hate when it is over.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
I'm about 200 pages into it....And so far...so good!

I can't wait to talk about some of the stuff I'm finding rather interesting in this...

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Good gravy!!!!!! I stayed up until 4 this morning reading this dang book and I REALLY want to talk about it.

My fingers are tapping anxiously until the discussion starts. When is that by the way???

message 11: by Joey (new)

Amy how far along are you, what page are you on?

message 12: by CS (new)

CS (chrisubus) I'm about 4 hours into listening (out of 44, I think).

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Joey, I'm on page 637.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim well it is friday night...i am at about page 100 and i think it is time for a margarita. We are rained out here in southern ca. this weekend for sports...so no horseback riding and no baseball....it will be me and WWE ....hoping for about 400 pages this weekend.... does anyone else need a dictionary for this book? I read alot! and I thought I had a pretty decent vocabulary....but some of these words????

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Maybe all those years of reading in Middle English have finally paid off.

I'm curious Kim, what vocabulary are you having problems with? Cause I actually found that a lot of the language is really rather modern...

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim matricularius, clerestory, ribvaulting,extrados, sycophant

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Ahhh yes, all very Middle Age, Middle English words....most if not all of them dealing with the "church" in one way or another.

Unfortunately a normal pocket dictionary probably won't do you any good if you found one to keep near you while you read. If you found a decent desktop Webster's that might help.

What I used to do when I was in college was write down the word and the page number...then when I was taking a break or done reading for the night I would look up the word, write down the definition (or something vague that made sense) then go back and read the passage with the word in it and see if I was able to gleen any extra information out of the text by knowing the "actual" meaning of the word that I didn't know, recognize, or otherwise understand.

The other kind of book you might want to look into is either a middle ages architecture book that might be able to help you with words like "extrados" or "ribvaulting" or an architecture dictionary in general. I took an entire class in cathedrals which studied the how, who, why, etc of catherdrals. Including the architecture and a lot of the terminology therein.

Maybe we should start pooling the words we don't know and start a glossary thread? What does everyone think of that idea? I'd be more than happy to take care of the glossary if people submitted words!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim i did see your word glossary thread....that is an interestng idea. I do have an Oxford dictionary for advanced learners that I am using. I too looked them up....but I was looking them up as I go.... I did find the meaning to all words except matricularius..but I figured out that it is a type of "manager" for the church... thanks for the info! This is really fun...reading a book with a bunch of people.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 16 comments Hi Kim :-)

Anyway, just back in Singapore Sunday at 3am. Will pick up my copy of the book today! Can't wait to read this!!!

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Phew...

Done!

Let's get this discussion started!!

message 21: by Joey (new)

Congrats Sara for finishing, I would love to hear your review and ranking of the book (without ruining anything of course) :)

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim page 340...want to talk about about some of the characters....but don't want to ruin it... some I love...some I really hate!

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy Phew... I'm done too. Can't wait to talk about it.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
YAY...more people are finished!!!

Like Kim, I can't wait to talk about some of these characters and their dynamics....

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 16 comments about 200 pages in, the jet lag was kickin' my behind, but I have 3 days in airplanes next week so I should be able to finish this off next week. Love Follett's characters and can't wait to discuss!

message 26: by CS (new)

CS (chrisubus) I'm listening to chapter 22...

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim page 614...boy a lot has happened....how much can a person stand! I keep hoping the bad guys will get their just desserts and the good guys will be rewarded and wham! wrong again!

message 28: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Finished. I think this book would have been better served as a trilogy.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim page 740...ok some desserts have been served.... hoping for a happy ending...shhhh...don't tell me!

message 30: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (gojerome) | 14 comments I got the book late, and just started it last week. Unfortunately, its not my style, I'm very particular about books and I have decided to sit this out because of my late start and I don't think I will finish in time since its such a long book. I'm going to sit this one out after all, but I hope you all enjoyed the book or are enjoying it!

message 31: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Hey Jeremy... I also sat this one out but am looking forward to the March read. So don't feel bad, you're not the only one. ;)

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I finally got started today. Not sure what page I'm at but I got through the first hour of the audiobook . . .

message 33: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I'm sitting this one out too...I've just got SO much craziness happening right now. But I'll be watching for the next one...

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 16 comments On page 750. Will be on a 6 hour flight tomorrow (last flight I got sidelined by the movie Juno), but should finish by the weekend.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I still don't have my copy of WWE, so I'm reading Holographic Universe.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I am about 400 pages in. I'm so jealous of everyone who has finished! Book is good - I can't seem to find all the time I want to finish it because I don't want to put it down but unfortunately things like work get in the way!

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm done.... how many do we have done?

message 38: by Joey (new)

I'm right around page 400 or so.. it took me a LONG TIME to get into this book..but its finally starting to get better and flow a little smoother for me.. I hope to be finished asap.. I got the audio cd's as well, so that I can cram it until I'm finished...I'm looking forward to discussing this also.