50 books to read before you die discussion

50 Books to Read BYD General > book vs. audio book

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Hello everyone, hope all is well. Sorry I haven't been around much but Lisa has been doing a great job keeping the group going. Any ways the reason for my post is I was wondering how many of you have used Audio Books and what you thought of them? I havent had much time to sit and read and I figured an audio book might do the trick, but im not sure. So i figured i'd go to the people that like me like to read. Hope you all have a great day.

Mayra

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Hi Mayra
Maybe half the books I read are audiobooks. I download them from my public library. I use my cell phone with bluetooth stereo earbuds. Must have audiobooks.

message 3: by Mayra (last edited Aug 11, 2015 04:24PM) (new)

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Buck wrote: "Hi Mayra
Maybe half the books I read are audiobooks. I download them from my public library. I use my cell phone with bluetooth stereo earbuds. Must have audiobooks."

Your mind doesnt wander becuase you arent focusing on reading the words?

message 4: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Mayra wrote: "Your mind doesnt wander becuase you arent focusing on reading the words?"

It does sometimes, yes. I can't read anything while I'm listening. I think the same part of the brain deals with reading and listening. It can only do one thing at a time. So, for example, if I sit down in front of my computer monitor, I turn off the audio. Can't read email and listen to a book at the same time. If I am doing something that takes concentration, I have to stop listening to the book. I've learned about this, and so it's second nature to stop the book if I would be distracted. And of course, if I realize that I've missed something, its quite easy to replay that part.

Often, later, I don't remember whether I had read a book or listened to it. In memory, it is the same. Though sometimes a really good narrator stands out.

I started listening to audiobooks on CD from the library when I was having to do a lot of driving for my business, instead of playing the car radio. After a while I realized that I could listen to the books as MP3s on my cell phone. I was hooked. It doubles my reading time, and some of the readers are extraordinary. I am a confirmed audiophile.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 85 comments After agonizing over which MP3 player to get and dragging my feet for the last 6 months, I finally ordered an MP3 player today just so I can start listening to audiobooks. I plan on listening to them while at work (depending on my task, of course), while gardening or putzing around the house cleaning, or even in bed at night if my eyes are too tired to read words on a page. I am pretty excited and am now tasked with the question - "which audiobook do I choose first?". I'm going to start checking out what the library has. :)

message 6: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Linda wrote: "After agonizing over which MP3 player to get and dragging my feet for the last 6 months, I finally ordered an MP3 player today just so I can start listening to audiobooks. I plan on listening to t..."

Hi Linda

I'm curious to know what MP3 player you got. I use my iPhone. There are a number of apps you can use to play audio books. The player that comes with the iPhone is my least favorite. Places from which you can download audiobooks have their own apps for it. Audible.com has one I think but I don't buy books from them.

Through my library, I installed Overdrive on my phone. It is my preferred audiobook reader. I also have OneClickDigital and Hoopla. I use them when Overdrive downloads aren't available.

Amazon.com has a feature that if you buy an ebook from them, you can get the audiobook version at a greatly reduced price. In the instances I know of, the combined price for the two was lower than the price of the audiobook alone.

message 7: by Linda (last edited Aug 12, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

Linda | 85 comments Buck wrote: "I'm curious to know what MP3 player you got. I use my iPhone."

Well, I'm behind the times when it comes to keeping up on the newest technology so I still don't have a smartphone, hence my need for a separate player. I know there are pros and cons to every player (as well as so many user reviews to sift through), and the reason why it took me so long to decide on one! I ended up getting a Sansa Clip Zip since I will be able to use it both for Overdrive and OneClickDigital checkouts from the library and also Audible if I decide to use that in the future. The Sansa Clip Plus looked pretty similar to the Zip, so I waffled between the two. I almost went with the Sansa Clip Sport because it was cheaper until I realized that I don't think you can use Audible with it and I wanted to leave that option open. For now I plan on using the library.

message 8: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Buck, that was my original thought that I could multy task if i was doing an audio book, but then i started thinking i might zone out and not pay attention. It hadnt even occured to me to look into the library to try one out until you mentioned it. So I am currently registering online. :)
I already read during my comute because i take the bus to work. But sometimes you dont feel like lugging around a big book so the audio version on your phone would be convinient. Well i will let you know how it goes lol. Thanx for your input.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Audiobooks aren't for me. I tend to tune out if someone talks too long, bad habit, and I just don't get it the same. I'll keep zoning out.

message 10: by Carlo (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:04PM) (new)

Carlo Hagemann I listen to audiobooks quite regularly, but only when I walk. A couple of days per week I walk to work (3 kilometers), and that gives me the ideal conditions for audiobooks. On the one hand, I don't get distracted too much (only when I have to cross a rather busy road), and on the other hand there is nothing else I can do but walk.
Whenever I try to listen while sitting on the couch, I feel the urge to 'do' something else.
Another situation for the audiobooks is while driving, though not in the city (distraction), but on highways.

And, yes, I really like the surplus that comes with an audiobook when the reader really succeeds to 'become' the characters.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken W | 54 comments I do listen to a lot of audiobooks. However, I mostly listen to books that I have already "read". I just don't seem to absorb it as fully listening vs reading.

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett I love audiobooks and kindle books the best

message 13: by Carlo (new)

Carlo Hagemann @Kelly: Just try it! Take a short book and listen for a couple of hours. What I like in an audiobook is when different characters all have their own voice. I'll come back shortly with a nice suggestion if you like.

message 14: by Judith Marie (new)

Judith Marie I just started my first audiobook ever (Tender Is The Night).
I hesitated a long time because I always preferred reading myself rather than having read to me, but I wanted to try it at least once.

So far I'm not really convinced, I think in comparison to reading I don't absorb as much of the story. In a real book you can always read parts again if for example there's a character appearing for the second time and you forgot what was already known about this character. I know you can relisten to parts again on audiobooks too, but I don't know how I'm supposed to find the part I'm looking for ;) So with "Tender Is The Night" I'm a bit confused as to who is who for the moment, but I'm only through the first CD, so maybe it'll get better.

message 15: by Anja (new)

Anja | 1 comments I just started listening to audiobooks a month ago (I use audible) and even though I was really really sceptical about it and didn't think I could love them, I love them so much now!! :-D I walk to work and home again everyday so that's the time I listen to them and also when I'm too tired ro read!

The first audiobook I listened to was harry potter, because I know I just love this story and so I could just concentrate on if I like audiobooks or not :-)

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I think it all depends on the narrator. (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series has a wonderful, wonderful one--highly recommend).

Also I switched Audible with my local library's (Seattle) app, Overdrive, where I can download audiobooks for FREE. Good ones too. Check it out in your area if you haven't yet!

message 17: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Anja wrote: "I just started listening to audiobooks a month ago (I use audible) and even though I was really really sceptical about it and didn't think I could love them, I love them so much now!! :-D I walk to..."

Some Audio books are better than others. Jim Dale does a wonderful job with the Harry Potter series.

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively. It's how I got through many of the 33 books on the list.

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 5 comments Personally, I just can't do the e-reader. I am such a sensory person; part of the experience of reading the book is the feel, smell, weight of the book; turning the pages, etc. I love all that. I love physical books so much that even pictures of libraries, or shelves sagging under the weight of books make me happy. I am developing an extensive library of my own. As a child, even, I always said that when I grew up I would have my own. My children say I have to many, but just looking at my own shelves make me happy. They say to surround yourself with what inspires you, so I guess I have unconsciously always done that.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 16 comments Like Stacy, I have to have the physical book. I'v tried a kindle and got 2 pages read before I said no way, and I lasted 5 words on audio.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 16 comments Mayra wrote: "Hello everyone, hope all is well. Sorry I haven't been around much but Lisa has been doing a great job keeping the group going. Any ways the reason for my post is I was wondering how many of you ha..."

Myra- 2 people in my book club at home love the audio books and that is mostly how they read. One listens while at work (thats the only time he can) and the other person travels a lot so she will listen while driving across the country.

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Eckermann I absolutely love audiobooks. They enable to do so much more reading than I would without. I started listening in the car when I did a lot of traveling, but have continued even more since I retired. I can listen when I'm doing needlework - hours at a time! - or even simple chores. And with some books, my favorites, I will both read and listen to, and sometimes get a different slant or find something I've missed.

message 23: by Tianna (new)

Tianna (teacaio) | 2 comments I personally cannot do audiobooks. I tried in High School when I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird since I was always too busy to read the book (you know, final year of school - spare time almost ceases to exist). At one point, I tried listening to the audiobook whilst reading, and just listening and just reading and honestly, I find I need to read the book. When I just listen to the audiobook I find I forget something I heard just a few seconds again, whereas I remember more when I'm reading. Plus I've had some encounters with audio readers who really just bore me because they read that slowly (which was the case with To Kill a Mockingbird).

message 24: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 5 comments I think it all depends on what style learner a person is. I myself am a visual/ tactile learner, which you may be as well Tianna and Meghan, while Kathleen sounds as if she learns better in the audial mode.