Santa Barbara Book Club discussion

Past Events > The Martian

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hey everyone! We read The Martian a few months back and it looks like the movie version is coming out late September/early October. Anyone want to make plans to see it together? If so, leave a comment with which days/times you are generally available. Thanks! :)

message 2: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 10 comments Sounds like a great idea , count me in! As far as I know any day/time works for me.

message 3: by JudyAnn (new)

JudyAnn | 19 comments Mod
Evenings or weekends.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Ayala | 1 comments That would be fun! I'm in

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Wallin Available weekend evenings. Or Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the pm too

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments What a great idea! I'm available almost any time, as far as I know.

message 7: by Gina (new)

Gina | 77 comments Mod
Sounds fun. I'm in! Week nights and weekends both work for me.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryHaus) | 3 comments This is a great idea. I would be able to let you know about days and times as we move closer to the date!

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin Winter (robinwinter) | 1 comments Only available in the day but I'll just watch and see what times work for others and then see if it fits my weird schedule. Great idea to do this!

message 10: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments What a great idea! I'm typically available evenings and weekends, depending what else is going on - will have a better idea closer to the date :)

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krispena) Sounds fun! My schedule is pretty crazy but weeknights tend to be better for me..

message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina | 3 comments Ah! So jealous! Wish I could join you all. Missing book club with all you lovely people already, but don't worry, I've found a bookstore in Beijing that has books in English so I won't be too deprived :) Anyway, have fun! Let me know how the movie is.

message 13: by Nina (new)

Nina | 3 comments Ah! So jealous! Wish I could join you all. Missing book club with all you lovely people already, but don't worry, I've found a bookstore in Beijing that has books in English so I won't be too deprived :) Anyway, have fun! Let me know how the movie is.

message 14: by Tabitha (last edited Sep 30, 2015 08:45AM) (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) The Martian opens this weekend! Sounds like most people are generally available on weekends or weeknights. Here are a couple of options - let me know which one(s) you could make it for, and we'll go with the best one for the most people!

(BTW, these are all at the Camino Real theater, which in my opinion is the best one in the area. If you want to suggest times at another theater, feel free!)

Friday - 6:40 PM
Friday (3D) - 8:15 PM
Saturday - 12:30 PM, 3:25 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:40 PM
Saturday (3D) - 1:50 PM or 8:15 PM
Sunday - same time options as Saturday

I personally would prefer Friday night (either time) or Sunday at 6:40 PM but could possibly do another time/day.

Weigh in ASAP so we can make a plan! And if we can't all go to the same showing, feel free to plan a second outing! :)

Here's a link to Fandango where you can see ALL the movie times/dates coming up: http://www.fandango.com/themartian_18...

message 15: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 10 comments Hi! Sunday works best for me. I would prefer 3:25pm, but anytime will work. Thanks for organizing this Tabitha!

message 16: by Gina (new)

Gina | 77 comments Mod
I like Sunday also. Either 1:50 or 3:25 are best but anytime Sunday or Saturday works for me.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryHaus) | 3 comments 3:35pm on Sunday would be best for me:)

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter | 9 comments Good review in Washington Post:

http://wapo.st/1Ri7GH6

message 19: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments I'm making the trek to the Arclight in Hollywood for this one - tech geek friends :) - it will be fun to see how we all like it!

message 20: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Shoot, looks like 3:25 on Sunday is the favorite so far, but I have dance practice from 2-5 on Sundays.

Gina & Sabrina, sounds like you could do 6:40 on Sunday although not your top choice. Osaro, would you be able to as well?

If you all wanted to go at 3:25 together, I totally understand! I'm going to plan on going at 6:40 with a couple friends, so anyone else who's interested could choose either time and have people to sit with. :)

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryHaus) | 3 comments Yes, 6:40pm works for me too.

message 22: by Gina (new)

Gina | 77 comments Mod
I can do 6:40 on Sunday. I will be there!

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments This Sunday at 6:40... sounds perfect!

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments By the way, the rave review in today's LA Times would totally convince ANYBODY to go, even somebody who didn't read the book.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krispena) Oooh yea! I can make 6:40 :)

message 26: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 10 comments Sun. 6:40 sounds good. See you all there!

message 27: by JudyAnn (new)

Oops I went TONIGHT 6:40. It was awesome!!!

message 28: by Peter (new)

Peter | 9 comments Great intvw with Matt Damon this a.m. on NPR Weekend Edition.

message 29: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hey everyone! I hear the movie is pretty popular this weekend so I'd advise getting there plenty early if you're coming tonight! I'm hoping to be there by 6 at the latest.

message 30: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krispena) I can't be there til 6:30 - need to drop off my kiddo. Try to save me a seat if you can - thanks :)

message 31: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (krispena) I can't be there til 6:30 - need to drop off my kiddo. Try to save me a seat if you can - thanks :)

message 32: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) I'm blocking off a long section in the main front row but cant hold it too long!

message 33: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi everyone! Sorry I ducked out of the movie so quickly last night - hope everyone who came enjoyed it! I know I did!! :)

message 34: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments Great movie! What did you all think of the casting? I have to admit, was picturing Mindy Park as a nerdy Asian woman, and Vincent Kapoor as Venkat from the book (lack of Indian actors?) also what happened to Annie- they had her perfect with Kristen Wiig and underutilized her. Loved Sean Bean as Mitch!

message 35: by JudyAnn (new)

Damon nailed the main character, don't you think? Heroic, adventuresome, ingenious, and wickedly and morbidly funny.

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments Damon was perfect, and yet it was Jessica Chastain who completely riveted my attention. Such intensity!

Sean Bean was adorably understated. (Also, I laughed out loud when I saw him at "The Council of Elrond". I kept waiting for a line that begins with "One does not simply...." Alas, it was not meant to be.)

message 37: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments I agree Matt Damon did an amazing job! I also though the man who played Teddy...his name is on the tip of my tongue...Bill Pullman?? Was very well cast.
And Martinez was hilarious- love that actor from the movie about the cops, with Jake Gyllenhall.