What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Riding Freedom
This topic is about Riding Freedom
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. MG Girl dresses as a man [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 14 comments I remember reading this book about five to ten years ago. It is told in first-person pov.
The main character was a teenage to adult girl who loved horses.
She runs away from home for some reason and disguises herself as a man, possibly calling herself "Charlie."
I know that at some point in the book she voted in some kind of election, though it wasn't yet legal for women to vote. It was a very informal voting situation. She pretty much waited in line and then checked a box on the paper.
Also, while disguised as a man, she gets a job where she drives a cart pulled by horses. She mentions that she didn't have to be told more than once not to actually hit the horses with her whip.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 14 comments That sounds like it, but I'm not sure.

message 4: by Tab (last edited Aug 12, 2015 06:07AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5013 comments Here's a lengthy review of Riding Freedom from Publisher's Weekly:

Publishers Weekly:
The true story of Charlotte "Charley" Darkey Parkhurst, a woman who lived her life disguised as a man so she could be a stagecoach driver, is the basis for this ebullient and tautly structured novel. Charlotte, a girl who "couldn't sew a stitch and didn't know a petticoat from a pea pod," does have a deep respect and a sixth sense for horses. When the head of her New Hampshire orphanage tells her she's banned from riding because she's a girl, she disguises herself as a boy, runs away to Worcester, Mass., and secures a job as Mr. Ebeneezer's stable hand. He takes "Charley" under his wing, teaching her to be the finest horseman and the best coachman in the state. As she guides her coach across the countryside, she tells her passengers, "I know my horses by heart and I'm not one for bad drivin', so hold tight!" Along the way, she encounters a wealth of characters, some good (Hay, her orphan friend; Vern, a freedman who tends the orphanage stables) and some bad (Mr. Millshark, the orphanage head), but all fully realized by Munoz (Armadillos Sleep in Dugouts). Eventually, the heroine moves West, (view spoiler), still disguised as a man, votes in the 1868 California presidential election--now recognized as the first woman ever to vote in the U.S. With a pacing that moves along at a gallop, this is a skillful execution of a fascinating historical tale.

message 5: by Louie (new)

Louie | 22 comments Abigail wrote: "I remember reading this book about five to ten years ago. It is told in first-person pov.
The main character was a teenage to adult girl who loved horses.
She runs away from home for some reason an..."

Hi Abigail, Was Riding Freedom the book you were looking for ? If it wasn't, Did you find the correct book?

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Sent Abigail a PM.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Abigail replied to the PM that I sent her and said, "Yes, I believe so. Thank you.

So I'm going with this is Solved and moving this down there.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Riding Freedom (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pam Muñoz Ryan (other topics)