#AYEARATHON discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Introductions & General > September 2015 - Banned Books Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ke-sha (last edited Aug 12, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

ke-sha (angel707) | 2000 comments Mod
Please tell us some Banned Books that you would recommend to others as well as a Banned Book that you would recommend that we read as a group.

Thanks to Kirsten to linking us to a list of Banned Books Here:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/bann...

I'm thinking The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton & The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry .

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenvergauwen) | 15 comments The 50 shades series is banned in Malaysia, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is banned in South Africa. And I'd say Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler, but that's illegal in so many countries that it's hard to find and maybe not the smartest thing to read? Some countries will see it as a crime to even have a copy (I know Belgium doesn't, in Belgium you just can't print any new ones)
And 1984 by George Orwell used to be banned in the Soviet Union.

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara (laraiswrite) | 100 comments I was just checking out banned books lists the other day to start on next month's TBR. I was surprised to find that at least two of Ernest Hemingway's books had made it to the "hall of fame" as I like to call it. Haha.
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway and A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Let's not forget Harry Potter The Complete Series by J.K. Rowling
As well as my favorite book from my childhood, Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1) by Lewis Carroll
I'm still looking through the lists but these are all books I'm considering not for next month. =]

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (maeveadeen) How about Tropic of Cancer? ☺️

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Aug 12, 2015 10:11PM) (new)

Ruth Santiago (bookjedi) | 1 comments American Psycho,

message 7: by Val (new)

Val (v_allery) | 6 comments I've been wanting to read Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury for ages!

message 8: by Milos (new)

Milos Milosavljevic (quovadis1032) | 2 comments I think that Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is the best choce.

message 9: by Emilee (new)

Emilee McDonald | 38 comments The book thief

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara (laraiswrite) | 100 comments Val wrote: "I've been wanting to read Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury for ages!"

I loved Fahrenheit 451! It's one of my all time favs! ^_^

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed | 6 comments American Psycho still banned in Australia. It's my favorite book

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 164 comments *is excited to see herself being mentioned in the opening post of this thread* :)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell are on the top of my possible list for this RAT as they are all sitting on my unread shelf and have been ever so patient. ;)

message 13: by Hana'a (new)

Hana'a (osnapitzhanaa) | 166 comments I know my towns community college banned the Percy Jackson series and my university, for some odd reason, feels the need to pretend Harry Potter doesn't exist (I honestly do not know why)

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara (laraiswrite) | 100 comments Hana'a wrote: "I know my towns community college banned the Percy Jackson series and my university, for some odd reason, feels the need to pretend Harry Potter doesn't exist (I honestly do not know why)"

A lot of religious based schools and such banned the Harry Potter series from their establishments because its about 'pagan' magic and some even took it as far as accusing JK Rowling of being a witch herself. They didn't want their children being influenced by such evil. Lol. I can only imagine they banned the Percy Jackson series for something of the same reason- promoting belief in false gods or something. =p

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.