Write, Wrote, Written discussion

Rubyfirewoods12's Writing > Summer Homework Writing Piece

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby, Just plain Epictastic. (new)

Ruby (rubyyy) | 2486 comments Mod
This is a piece of writing I had to do for school, and it was inspired by the following pic. Hope you like! :)

As the sun set over the water, giving it a ghostly - yet somehow comforting - pinkish glow, I pulled my knees up to my chest and just sat there, breathing quietly. It was so peaceful here. When I came here I knew I wouldn’t be disturbed, and it would be only me and the water, the water and me.

In the distance, a flock of birds suddenly spiraled into the air, chirping and singing to the sky as they flew. I watched them grow smaller, smaller, over the horizon, and brushed a loose strand of hair from my face. Finally, the birds were gone, and the sun was dipping even lower into the water. The pine trees in the distance were black as shadows, and I could see each one’s outline perfectly against the pink sky.

I looked down at the water. It was rippling invitingly, drawing me, laughing at me. It wanted me to dance with it. I stared down at it for a minute or two, watching the ripples fade, then new ones form and bounce back, pink sky reflecting off its surface. I reached down and fingered a smooth, gray rock in my hand. I looked at it for another minute, drinking in its smooth skin, beautiful colors interlaced throughout itself, grays and whites and blacks, all different shades of one and the same color.

All colors were the same to me. They all were only different shades and hues of one greater, even more beautiful color than them all. No words could explain it, nor any pictures could truly capture its beauty. It had no name, it was simply The Color, to me. I liked to think that I was the only person alive who had the knowledge to finally discover it, discover it and bring it into existence.

After turning the rock over one last time in my hand, I looked out onto the water and threw it. It made a long, elegant arc before breaking the water’s surface, and when it did, it didn’t even make a ripple. Not a droplet out of place. The water was still as laughing and dancing in its place, but now it could reach my bare toes and lap the sand around them. The water was warm. I smiled, then stood.

I walked slowly back and forth along with water’s edge, thinking. Soon, I found myself up to my ankles in the warm water, without any recollection of having stepped closer or waded in. But I didn’t mind. I now knew. This time I was fully aware of myself wading in, up to my calves, soon my knees. I could feel the smooth pebbles beneath my feet, feeling soft and comforting as I walked on. I kept going, but somehow the water never seemed to go up past my knees, no matter how far I walked.

I liked that. It didn’t seem logical to my mind, but I didn’t care. I stopped soon, and threw back my head, up into the colorful sky. I closed my eyes, drinking in the light, the sound, the beauty. I stood there for some time, not doing anything, just watching the dying light from behind my eyelids.

I opened them at some point, and there, right above me, was a large bunch of colored balloons. I looked up at them, thinking. I looked out over the water, all the way to the pink and orange sun, which was nearly completely hidden beneath the water’s surface now. The sky was still pink, however, the water even more so.

I looked back up to the balloons, just floating there, not going anywhere, not seeming to even want to. Slowly, thoughtfully, I reached my arm up, and grabbed hold of the balloons’ strings. They felt nice in my palm, as if they had always been waiting to be there. I gave a sigh of relief - or was it satisfaction? But no, it didn’t matter. All that mattered to me now was the exciting sensation of my feet breaking the surface of the water.

They were floating away now, with me hanging on. But I didn’t care. I was finally ready.

message 2: by Ravanna Dee (new)

Ravanna Dee (ravannadee) That was beautiful! It draws you in with it's emotions. You must have gotten an A+ on it. Love your work Ruby!

message 3: by Ruby, Just plain Epictastic. (new)

Thanks so much!

And I'm so sorry ppl! I didn't mean to put it here I'm gonna move it!

message 4: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Beautiful. :)

message 5: by Ruby, Just plain Epictastic. (new)

Thank you - it doesn't really follow the theme of most of my stories, it just feels different to me - and that's why I like it! :)