Bibliomaniacs (MY) discussion

Harry Potter Readalong > HP Discussion #1

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by nabilahwashere (new)

nabilahwashere | 18 comments Mod
Hey there! So Amelia and I decided that to make things livelier and more fun in this group, we will do 2 things every month: host a discussion and a challenge. Even if you aren't doing the readalong but you've watched the movies or read the books you can still participate :)

SO discussion/question of the week is: Who is your favorite character in the entire HP series and why? List some of their attributes that are similar to yours and some attributes of theirs that you wish you had.

-N

message 2: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah I like Ron. Mostly because of his red hair. Not just that, I loves his big family. Such a cheerful and noisy! That is the only thing I had some familiar with him.

Oh, wait! Ron like to curses a lot. Etc: Bloody hell, my wand! Bloody hell my nose! Bloody hell a giant spider!

Which I sometimes do a lot...kyahahaha...

message 3: by Salwa (new)

Salwa (_readingsolace) My favorite character's definitely Hermione Granger! I haven't really read the entire series but I've watched all of the movies and Emma Watson is such a lovely girl and she's so perfect as Hermione.
Okay. So I love Hermione because she's such a strong character. She's a mudblood so she's bullied for that but she didn't let those bullies (aka Draco and company) get to her. Also, she's very kind, caring, and just perfect. She's also very smart, witty, and hard-working. In short, she's the bae. ❤

message 4: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah Salwa wrote: "My favorite character's definitely Hermione Granger! I haven't really read the entire series but I've watched all of the movies and Emma Watson is such a lovely girl and she's so perfect as Hermion..."

yup, she is the only one sooo ever perfect girl that i love!

message 5: by Salwa (new)

Salwa (_readingsolace) @ Ask:

I think she might be everybody's favorite girl character. I really like Professor McGonagall too. I think she's such a cool person. :D

message 6: by Kamalia (new)

Kamalia (maliemania) | 19 comments for as long as i've been a Potterhead, my fav character has always been Hermione Granger, but mostly its she's the main female character with amazing attributes.

now that i'm rereading the series, i think i may have a different fav character, once i start paying more attention to the other characters. i have a feeling i might lean towards Ron or Harry or even Snape :D

message 7: by Hajar Y, (new)

Hajar Y, (quillandkindle) | 19 comments My choice would be Professor Snape.

Analysing through his character is like peeling an onion. You can continue on peeling through every layer and still finding something new to like (and dislike, of course!) and without realising it, you shed tears for some parts of him that you know not exist at the beginning.

He was an intelligent, observant, kick-ass wizard whose main struggle was so mundane that at times you find it difficult to imagine it happened to someone as snobbish and powerful as him.

Let's raise a mug of butterbeer, you guys, for this prominent figure! *clink*

message 8: by Kamalia (new)

Kamalia (maliemania) | 19 comments Shy wrote: "My choice would be Professor Snape.

Analysing through his character is like peeling an onion. You can continue on peeling through every layer and still finding something new to like (and dislike, ..."

as i read about Snape now, i have zero hatred towards how mean he is to Harry. I love that i have a different perception towards him when i read it the first time and when i read it now :')

message 9: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah Kamalia wrote: "Shy wrote: "My choice would be Professor Snape.

Analysing through his character is like peeling an onion. You can continue on peeling through every layer and still finding something new to like (a..."

speaking of Snape, I always imagine how would it feels if he is our teacher or lecturer...say lesson Money and Banking? ahaks! i always asleep in that class

message 10: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments Back then (almost 8-9 years ago), I realllllllly hate Snape. Although my all time hatred are directed towards Umbridge and some other Death Eaters haha. But after completing the series the first time around, Snape has been someone that I admire despite his mean treatments towards Harry.

The fact that he has the guts to risk his life (for Lily, Dumbledore), should be something to admire. He conceals his real intentions until the very end.

Yeah Shy, let's ;)

message 11: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments ...and oh, I love Sirius Black!

message 12: by nabilahwashere (new)

Ofcourse, I love Hermione but aside from that...

I think my all time favorite characters are the Weasleys especially Fred and George. I think JK Rowling was able to introduce the theme of importance of families through them. Even though they were poor and didn't have much they still lived a happy life and were protective of one another and made the best out of what they had. Molly and Arthur Weasley also accepted Harry with open arms even though they were already struggling to support their own family. Example from the first book: Molly also knitted Harry a "Weasley Sweater" :D
The whole family and their home makes me all warm and cozy and fuzzy inside.
With a setting so serious, it was lovely to have Fred and George as a comic relief (Ron too). I just wished they played a bigger role in the movies.

message 13: by AmeliaaXavier (last edited Aug 12, 2015 07:27AM) (new)

AmeliaaXavier | 50 comments Mod
Hands-down, my favourite will be Minerva McGonagall!

She is just plain awesome! She's strong, very talented & highly intelligent. She look out for the gryffindors but still just to everyone else *cough* unlike snape

She was headgirl, a quidditch player, & the current Head House, a transfiguration mistress and deputy headmistress! She's brilliant! And the fact that she was portrayed by Maggie was an absolute perfection!

She was an extremely powerful and talented witch whom none should ever underestimate. During the Battle of Hogwarts, her magical skills enabled her to fend off many Dark wizards. She also managed to make a full recovery from an attack of four Stunning spells to her chest! How kickass is that?!

I adored the scene when she was so excited but needed to keep appearance about Harry flying then bend the rules on first years are not allowed to join the quidditch team by adding Harry to her team as Seeker. She always look out for the golden trio especially Harry and the fact that she trust him although he was in the running really did something to my heart.

MCGONAGALL DO WHATEVER THE HELL SHE WANTS HOYEAH!

description

I have an endless list of favourite moments in The Philosophers Stone!

overall:

- Observed the Dursleys all damn day to prove they shouldn’t raise Harry.

- Bent a bloody school rule so her team could kick Slytherrin’s ass.

- She entrusted Hermione a TIME TURNER her 3rd year!

- Tried keeping these reckless kids from getting into deep shit kids shouldn’t go through.

- Every damn time Umbridge cleared her throat and Harry saw her do the “Lord give me strength” face.

- Promised to do anything to make sure Harry became an Auror. Actually, just every scene between Umbridge and McGonagall is gold.

- Took FOUR Stunning jinxes to the chest but pulled through it like a hero!

- She was tough & strict but she also looked out for her cubs!

And from the bottom of my heart I will be forever thankful that of all death in Harry Potter, Professor McGonagall was not one of them! Thank Merlin.

message 14: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ I like Hagrid. He is very fond of any animals. And I really ♥ animals myth in J.K.Rowlings description at Hogwards.

Which I had a boyfriend who loves animals just like Hagrid. Lol...what am I talking about.

Not to mention Hagrid is very happy go lucky person (too much happy go lucky, I think). He even funny if he panic.

message 15: by nabilahwashere (new)

Amelia wrote: "Hands-down, my favourite will be Minerva McGonagall!

She is just plain awesome! She's strong, very talented & highly intelligent. She look out for the gryffindors but still just to everyone else *..."

MCGONAGALL IS FIERCE AND SASSY AND I LOVE HER <3

message 16: by Faten Liyana (new)

Faten Liyana (fatenliyana) | 3 comments Did everyone forget about Lee Jordan? The best thing to look forward to in Quidditch haha

message 17: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments Faten Liyana wrote: "Did everyone forget about Lee Jordan? The best thing to look forward to in Quidditch haha"

Haha never!! I'll forever love Jordan's commentaries and Prof. McGonagall's constant warning towards him :p

'Jordan!!!'

message 18: by Amirah I. (new)

Amirah I. (amrhidr) | 8 comments I admit I have a huge crush on Oliver Wood. (Can't blame me. The movie Wood is cute k ;D And his obsession with quidditch is adorable!)

But my fav would always be the Weasleys. While others want to have a love like Lily & James, or even Lily & Snape, I want a love like Molly & Arthur. They are what I pictured as a happy family, though they don't have much to give. Molly is both a loving and strong female character. She proves herself as a powerful witch during the battle of hogwarts when she takes on Bellatrix when she triea to attack Ginny. Her motherly love will always tug at my heart.

"Not my daughter, you *****!"

Gotta love her!

message 19: by nabilahwashere (new)

Amirah I. wrote: "I admit I have a huge crush on Oliver Wood. (Can't blame me. The movie Wood is cute k ;D And his obsession with quidditch is adorable!)

But my fav would always be the Weasleys. While others want t..."

YAS someone who agrees with me <3

message 20: by Kamalia (new)

Kamalia (maliemania) | 19 comments just adding some more great characters into this discusion;

NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM!!!!!!!

damn, he has one of the best character developments throughout the series, mannn. i love how innocent and honest he is <3

message 21: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

AmeliaaXavier | 50 comments Mod
Neville is so precious! no one cannot not love him tbh :D he also grows up being a "bamf"!