Emily March Fans discussion

Reflection Point (Eternity Springs, #6)
This topic is about Reflection Point
#6 Archive: Reflection Point > Opening Thoughts on Reflection Point (May Contain Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Opening thoughts, anyone? Who you'd like to see featured? What you'd like to happen? What surprises you?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I stayed up until crazy-o'clock finishing Reflection Point. Couldn't put it down once I got to the first of several huge shocks, which I shall not divulge here. But for those who haven't read it yet...hold on to your....hats.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I stayed up until crazy-o'clock finishing Reflection Point. Couldn't put it down once I got to the first of several huge shocks, which I shall not divulge here. But for those who haven't read it yet...hold on to your....hats.

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments Paula wrote: "I stayed up until crazy-o'clock finishing Reflection Point. Couldn't put it down once I got to the first of several huge shocks, which I shall not divulge here. But for those who haven't read it ye..."

I was up late last night reading as well. I start and I can't put it down.I am already on chapter 26. I will finish it today. Kind of makes me sad. I really love these people and the town. They come to life on the page. I think I will read my new Debbie Macomber book, Silver Linings,next and wait to start Miracle Road. I am getting too far ahead an I want to stay current. I will be back for discussion later when I finish reading Reflection Pointe. Have a great day everyone. Linda M

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Linda wrote: "Paula wrote: "I stayed up until crazy-o'clock finishing Reflection Point. Couldn't put it down once I got to the first of several huge shocks, which I shall not divulge here. But for those who have..."
I understand completely, Linda - I am devouring the series like a starving woman. I wanted to stop, slow down, do something but once the ship sailed, it sailed! I am behind in some book reviews so I have to starve myself until Miracle Road. Let me know what you think of Silver Linings. I've never read Debbie Macomber before but she's an author I've wanted to check out.

Chelsea Klepfer (chelseaklepfer) | 94 comments Just started REFLECTION POINT last night! I'm only a couple chapters in but I've already laughed out loud about ten times. I always remember the sweet, small-town romance stories that Emily writes but I sometimes forget just how funny her characters are. Zach and Savannah's first "meeting" and their internal dialogue while it's happening had me giggling the whole time.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Chelsea wrote: "Just started REFLECTION POINT last night! I'm only a couple chapters in but I've already laughed out loud about ten times. I always remember the sweet, small-town romance stories that Emily writes ..." I agree. The scene on the cliff above town is hilarious. The reference to Barney Fife makes me laugh every time I think about Zach...how mad he must have been! Priceless.

Lola  | 1001 comments I'm about 1/2 through Reflection Point. I too cracked up with the Barney Fife name calling. And the ditto machine, smelling the ink, brought back memories!

Chelsea Klepfer (chelseaklepfer) | 94 comments Lola wrote: "I'm about 1/2 through Reflection Point. I too cracked up with the Barney Fife name calling. And the ditto machine, smelling the ink, brought back memories!"

Embarrassing confession: I had to Google what I ditto machine was when I read that part in the book. They may have had them in offices when I was in first in school (I'm 27) but I don't remember them being called anything other than copy machines. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Chelsea wrote: "Lola wrote: "I'm about 1/2 through Reflection Point. I too cracked up with the Barney Fife name calling. And the ditto machine, smelling the ink, brought back memories!"

Embarrassing confession: ..."
It's not embarrassing at all, Chelsea! Those things were around when I was a small child - mom called it a mimeograph machine. She was a church secretary. They also used them in my elementary school. They printed out in purple ink and when Zach described the scent, it took me back to my mom's church office. I used to have to go to work with her, but I did get to play the piano and help out in the office. Fond, fond memories. I'm not as old as Celeste, but let's just say it's no surprise you don't remember those old machines! (And hers had a hand crank on it too... OMG).

Bernadette Long | 47 comments I thought it was pretty funny that Savannah called Zach "Barney Fife";he really didn't like it. It's not surprising that some of our younger readers have to look up the "ditto machine" because they haven't been around for awhile.

Savannah really didn't care for Celeste Blessing because of her physical resemblance to Francine Vaughan, a former friend and neighbor. It was unusual for anyone in Eternity Springs to not like her.

Hannah (hannahdabink) | 55 comments My mom was PTA when I was in elementary school and volunteered in the copy room, I use to love sitting there after school watching teachers copy and even got to help with the memograph machine. I love the spell of ink to this day.

message 13: by Lola (last edited Sep 05, 2015 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola  | 1001 comments I will turn 67 in Nov. ditto machines were the only copy machine back then. My Mom was always in the PTA ,I remember cranking out all those papers. Ever wonder where they got the ink blot test from all the accidents with the purple ink lol. Just kidding, but I do remember purple fingers.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lola I'd forgotten all about the purple fingers! And Bernadette, it is unusual for people to be uncomfortable around Celeste. I know it was because of her resemblance to Francine - but I also think Savannah is a character that was afraid that Celeste could see "beneath the surface" at the darkness she carried with her.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I know it says "Opening thoughts on Reflection Point" - but since we're near the end of this session, but there's a question I want to talk about before we move on. IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED REFLECTION POINT, STOP READING HERE.

The rest of you -- what was your biggest OMG moment in the book? Hands down, for me it was when Zach got shot. I nearly died then and there. It was one of those occasions where you want to call the author up in the middle of the night to complain! I don't think I've ever felt fear in an ES book before but that one went straight to my chest and I swear my heart stopped for a second! How about you?

message 16: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "I know it says "Opening thoughts on Reflection Point" - but since we're near the end of this session, but there's a question I want to talk about before we move on. IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED REFLECT..."
I agree Paula, even though I had read the book before I had forgotten about him being shot.

Lola  | 1001 comments I finished Reflection Point and am already 1/2 through Miracle Road. Couldn't wait to see what happened next ! Zack getting shot by Celeste's evil twin was a shock.
I can see why Emily is having problems keeping all the babies straight.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Lesley wrote: "Paula wrote: "I know it says "Opening thoughts on Reflection Point" - but since we're near the end of this session, but there's a question I want to talk about before we move on. IF YOU HAVEN'T FI..."

I've gotten so used to the tough guys being tough, that plot twist sent me reeling. That is one thing that makes a book unforgettable to me, and a hero even more of a hero. God love Zach.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lola wrote: "I finished Reflection Point and am already 1/2 through Miracle Road. Couldn't wait to see what happened next ! Zack getting shot by Celeste's evil twin was a shock.
I can see why Emily is having p..."

Me too. I now realize I should have started a family tree on page 1 of Angel's Rest!

message 20: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Hindsight is 20 /20. I have had to go back before I can catch up. I will be caught up by Tuesday.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just starting Miracle Road tonight and I'm excited. Our internet crashed again, so no interruptions! I have to type on my phone and I'm not too good at that. I was just getting ready to email my recipes for "the book"! It figures...

message 22: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments My internet has been extremely slow and I have had to reset it several times. What is going on? Had the same issues at work for a few weeks. It is like it doesn't want to connect. Hasn't crashed yet and hoping it doesn't go that far.

Hope yours comes back soon Paula.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel lost...like when I misplace my phone! LOL.

message 24: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Misplacing a phone IS a catastrophe!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay (KK) wrote: "Misplacing a phone IS a catastrophe! " Like leaving your brain outside your body. LOL.

message 26: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments LOL! You are making me laugh now.

Chelsea Klepfer (chelseaklepfer) | 94 comments I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by Nora Ephron that I share on Emily's Facebook page sometimes:

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim."

I definitely find myself in the victim or "woe is me" mindset sometimes and have to remind myself that instead of focusing on all that is happening to me, instead I should be focusing on what I can do to change my circumstances. I shouldn't just sit back and let life happen to me, I should be out there living it. Does that make sense? Anyway, just had to share as we're wrapping up this book. Looking forward to Miracle Road!

P.S. Emily sent me my ARC of Heartsong Cottage today! I've been waiting patiently for months now so I can't wait to start it!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Chelsea, that's a very timely quote, one that comes up again, in a different form, when Hope gives Lucca a swift kick in his hind parts in Miracle Road. I sometimes struggle with being the heroine of my life when my life feels more like Lucy Ricardo than any other character I can think of....

I'm excited and pleased for you, having an ARC of Heartsong Cottage. I know you'll enjoy it very much.

message 29: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Chelsea wrote: "I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by Nora Ephron that I share on Emily's Facebook p..."

Chelsea, I love that quote and your insight. And yes it makes perfect sense. I definitely know where you are coming from. It is so easy to get in the "woe is me" mindset and so hard to get in the "get out there and live life" mindset. But that is exactly what we should do as you have so eloquently stated

Chelsea Klepfer (chelseaklepfer) | 94 comments Kay (KK) wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by Nora Ephron that I share on Em..."

Thanks KK!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay (KK) wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by Nora Ephron that I share on Em..."
KK & Chelsea, I need to confess that this moderator needs a good swift kick in the arse right about now. I was sick with a migraine - a rare and ugly thing - this weekend. I got behind in my work. Then something happened with a friend that hurt my feelings and made me wonder whether what I do as a blogger, reviewer, publicist and editor is worth the heartache of some of the negativity on social media. I fell in - and am still in - a deep funk. The one thing that keeps me turned around is the interaction I see in this group of fun, strong, caring women. All we ever have to do to be grateful is look away from the mirror and out into the rest of the world. Thank you for reminding me at a time when it was most needed. Hugs to you both.

Hannah (hannahdabink) | 55 comments true words. and even though we may know it and try sometimes we need the extra kick in the pants to bring the message home. I enjoy reviewing and blogging and sometimes I get in over my head and I think why then I read a really good book and it all makes sense again.

message 33: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Paula, I am so sorry you have had a migraine and a very difficult weekend. People can be so hurtful without realizing what they are doing. Please don't doubt yourself. I have seen nothing but an amazing, strong and supportive woman in all the writings I have read. Everyone is blessed with the ideas, wisdom and information you share and everyone who reads your writings are very thankful for it.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "true words. and even though we may know it and try sometimes we need the extra kick in the pants to bring the message home. I enjoy reviewing and blogging and sometimes I get in over my head and I ..."

Hannah - you hit the nail right on the head there. When I started a blog three years ago, I didn't do much with it - an occasional review, but nothing else. Then when I got a little more confident with being able to use the blogging platform, and did a little more reading about what makes a blog successful, I threw myself into it. Now I regularly get in over my head because I love doing it and can't say no when I should. All it takes is something that knocks me off my feet for a couple of days (last year it was a broken finger, this year so far it's only been the epic migraine of 2015...)...and I feel like I'm letting followers & authors down. I realize, having written that, that the world did not end while I slept off the headache. I was taking myself too seriously.

Reading is still my refuge, and writing is my other one. So we are blessed with the privilege of knowing authors and enjoying their work, then sharing it with readers as far as our blogs can reach. Send us the link to your blog, if you like...!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay (KK) wrote: "Paula, I am so sorry you have had a migraine and a very difficult weekend. People can be so hurtful without realizing what they are doing. Please don't doubt yourself. I have seen nothing but an am..."

KK, you and the other women in this group deserve nothing but the best and I thank you for being patient while I was on and off for a couple of days. I refused wine night before last and I thought my husband was going to call a priest in. Yesterday he threatened exorcism (just kidding, but he takes his wine choices very seriously and he had bought this particular bottle as a pre-birthday treat).

Thank you for your kind, encouraging comments. I sneaked off for a little bit to read more of Miracle Road and as usual, I'm hooked.

message 36: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments LOL! You are so funny Paula. No apologies, please. You have a life just like everyone else and as the saying goes, Life Happens. You can't stop it and might as well go with it. We all understand you can't be on here 24/7 and appreciate all you do.

September is a great birthday month! My son took me out to dinner last for my birthday, which is tomorrow. We went to a great Mediterranean restaraunt in Fort Worth called Terra Mediterranean Grill. Great food! Tomorrow my husband is having foot surgery, so happy birthday to me. LOL!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the rest is history. However, in helping him remove his shirt, a stray wasp stung Sarah too. She called to warn me that September birthdays this year might have strings attached! Or stingers...? I hope that you enjoy your day - I had to have surgery one year on my birthday. It was an outpatient procedure, and the Director of the surgery center was my best friend. Well -- while I was under anesthesia she put temporary tattoos ALL OVER ME. I woke up looking like a Looney Tune. It was the best birthday ever. The next year I filled her yard with fake ravens and tombstones...over 100 of them, planted during the night. ;-)

message 38: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Paula wrote: "HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the rest is history. However, in he..."

Sounds like a interesting way to celebrate. Glad that your headache is better. Hope your daughter and her partner are ok form the wasp stings.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Melinda wrote: "Paula wrote: "HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the rest is history. ..."

She says they're better but his ear looks like pink cauliflower...

Chelsea Klepfer (chelseaklepfer) | 94 comments Paula wrote: "Kay (KK) wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by Nora Ephron t..."

Hugs back Paula! You do such an amazing job moderating this group I can't imagine you feeling the need to question the work you do anywhere else. Hope the rest of your week picks up!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Chelsea wrote: "Paula wrote: "Kay (KK) wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I got to the part towards the end of REFLECTION POINT last night where Zach tells Savannah she has a victim mentality and it reminded me of a quote by..." Today is a happy, productive one so far. Other than the incident with the dog eating Miracle Road. If it had been my ARC of Heartsong Cottage I'd have had to bury one of us in the backyard. At least I can replace Miracle Road, thanks to Amazon Prime.

message 42: by Kay (last edited Sep 10, 2015 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Paula wrote: "HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the rest is history. However, in he..."

LOL! That sounds like a great birthday even though you had surgery and love the pay back. As your daughter said, this may be the September of not so great birthdays. I did not have surgery but my husband did, on his foot. So my day has been trying to keep him following doctors orders. Happy Birthday to me! Good thing is I am off work for 4 days. Yea! Great birthday gift.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay (KK) wrote: "Paula wrote: "HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the rest is history. ..." My husband gives anesthesia for a living, but is the absolute WORST patient I've ever met. 41 years as a nurse - means I've met a lot of difficult people. A few years ago, I had to have major neurosurgery. 7 days later, his appendix burst. We spent the night at the hospital together because I couldn't take care of myself. 4 days after that, he had a secondary complication, and back to the hospital he went. He was so gnarly I only went to visit him once...I couldn't drive, I couldn't sit up for long...and I was in no condition to smack some reality into him! LOL. I hope your days off are full of some good times. Ray and I grew a lot in that crisis. And in the one where we broke an arm and a leg skiing - at the same time - but that's a story for another day. ;-)

message 44: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Paula, you two have been through so much and you can make funnies about it. Puts a new spin on what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Your trials surely makes all else seem so trivial when viewed from the right perspective.

message 45: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Paula wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Paula wrote: "HA! KK - My daughter called this morning - her birthday was September 1st and her partner's was yesterday. He decided to cut the grass, ran over a wasp nest, and the r..."

Wow he was stung bad. It has been a few days and he still looks like a pink cauliflower. My heart goes out to him.

message 46: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Call | 106 comments Man i gotta get these books! They all sound fabulous!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay (KK) wrote: "Paula, you two have been through so much and you can make funnies about it. Puts a new spin on what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Your trials surely makes all else seem so trivial when view..."
Let me just say that Ray and I are bonded by a dark, sarcastic, ironic sense of humor. And we have amazing stories to tell at holiday parties.

message 48: by Kay (last edited Sep 11, 2015 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Paula wrote: "Kay (KK) wrote: "Paula, you two have been through so much and you can make funnies about it. Puts a new spin on what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Your trials surely makes all else seem so ..."

That is for sure!

message 49: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Herald | 76 comments I have been so out of the loop with my jobs and in my profession the new way of medical coding that starts October 1st, and I miss everyone! Still on Reflection Point but close to the end. Just wanted to drop in and say hi! I love this group!

message 50: by Jina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Pam wrote: "I have been so out of the loop with my jobs and in my profession the new way of medical coding that starts October 1st, and I miss everyone! Still on Reflection Point but close to the end. Just wa..."

Hi Pam,
My daughter, Samantha and I got our degree in Health Information technology and got certified as RHITs. My daughter and I had a job together at the local hospital. We got laid off before Thanksgiving and Heather had her heart attack in January so I haven't been able to keep up with it. It's so interesting and I would love to be able to do it from home so I could still care for Heather but she still needs too much care for me to pursue it yet. Good luck. I know you'll do well.
Sincerely Yours,
Jina Gibbs

« previous 1