YA LGBT Books discussion

Riding the Rainbow
This topic is about Riding the Rainbow
Book Related Banter > 2015 GCLS YA Award Winner

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments Woot! Woot! My middle-grade/YA novel, Riding the Rainbow just won a 2015 Golden Crown Literary Society YA Literature Award!

I accepted the award at the New Orleans Hilton in front of literature heroes Rita Mae Brown, Dorothy Allison, and Lee Lynch! It was an exciting night, I'll tell you.

GCLS is dedicated to the education, promotion, and recognition of lesbian literature. http://www.goldencrown.org/

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16521 comments Congratulations! That's great.

And thanks for the site link. Here's the link to the table of previous winners, although 2015 are not yet on there. http://www.goldencrown.org/?page=Prev...

2014 YA winners:
Orphan Maker by D Jordan Redhawk, Published by Bella Books
Secret City by Julia Watts, Published by Bella Books
Secret Lies by Amy Dunne, Published by Bold Strokes Books

That seems to be the first year that YA awards were given as well as adult.

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments Thanks, Kaje! Yes, and mine was the first YA self-published novel to ever win. But I've since signed with Shadoe Publishing, who has re-released it.

Next year I'm entering my A Man's Man by Genta Sebastian A Man's Man in the GCLS 2016 awards, and the Lambda's.

Here's the link to the 2015 winners. Interestingly enough, all three winners in the YA category are from the Upper Midwest, two in MN and one in WI. Uffda!
http://www.goldencrown.org/default.as...

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16521 comments Very cool (As a Minnesotan, we rock :)

2015 YA winners:

Double Exposure by Bridget Birdsall, Published by Sky Pony Press
Riding the Rainbow by Genta Sebastian, Self-Published
Just Girls by Rachel Gold, Published by Bella Books

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments Yes, we do. As a matter of fact, the other two authors and are are setting up group readings and book signings. Why not? We're close enough to do so!

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 85 comments Genta wrote: "Thanks, Kaje! Yes, and mine was the first YA self-published novel to ever win. But I've since signed with Shadoe Publishing, who has re-released it.

Next year I'm entering my [bookcover:A Man's Ma..."

Congrats Genta! Sorry to say only books with lesbian main characters are eligible. So A Man's Man is not eligible, that I know of.

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments Well, thank you Tara. Yes, I knew that about GCLS, but had forgotten.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 85 comments Genta wrote: "Well, thank you Tara. Yes, I knew that about GCLS, but had forgotten."

That happens! LOL.

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Congratulations, Genta! My novel, Lindsay Versus the Marauders, was nominated, and I thought it totally cool. I've never been nominated for anything, so this was an honor. Great that you won, though, and all the best with Shadoe.

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments That IS totally cool, Jesse! I just sent you a friend request, seeing as how we're both YA authors and eve'ything...

message 11: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Saw it, replied to it, we're buds now, LOL..I really suck at acceptance speeches... ;) At any rate, yes, congratulations are in order once again on your win!

message 12: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Congratulations, Genta!

Genta Sebastian (gentasebastian) | 20 comments Thanks, Cody!