Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > Story Cartel -- good or bad?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wally (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 90 comments At the least, you get a twenty day promotion. Is the book up everyday?
And who sees it and how many? Reviews are very iffy things, maybe just go for the promo and hope for a review. If it's a three star will they ask you if they can run it. Books with story telling covers might do okay in this type of competition.

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Never heard of it, but my gut reaction based soley on the name, I would avoid this site as both a reader and author because cartel has a negative connotation.

Beyond that, I'm leery of anything that requires a fee or goes into the moral gray area of "honest reviews" that don't come from folks who are genuinely interested in reading the book. While there may be some loophole that keeps the contest aspect separate, ypu are, in fact, paying for the "possibility" of reviews and using the contest as incentive.

My opinion is that as far as advertising goes, this is a bad investment. No one who sees your book on this site will be purchasing it because you are offering it for free. You would do better to run a limited time promotion and use the $30 to advertise this.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Not all ads require a minimun of reviews. And reviews don't necessarily sell books. I've seen books with hundreds of reviews sitting pretty low in the ranks and there are a few authors who are consistently high sellers whose books have just a handful of reviews.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I've never used Story Cartel to promote my own books, however, I've read a book or two from them.

I've joined their mailing list a while ago. When they have new authors and new books to offer, they send an email. To me it's kind of like the Read and Review here on GR except you might reach a bit more people and there's an incentive to read and review the books within a certain time. Because if you do and use their link to do so, you're entered in a drawing.

(I can't tell how it works since I never bothered to use their link. I prefer going directly on Amazon.)

message 5: by Glenn (last edited Aug 13, 2015 10:56AM) (new)

Glenn Mitchell (glennhmitchell) | 5 comments I've used it. I've had one review so far on GR. None on Amazon. I think I'm ten days into the free period. I'll let you know if I get more. You buy a token to list each book. I think they're $25. If I get two or three more reviews I would probably say it's worthwhile. Reviews are so important and the process of fishing for them can be so time consuming. If you can get five or six reviews for little effort at that price, it might be good value. I don't see the point of spending any budget on promo until I've got at least five reviews on each English speaking Amazon site so I'm pushing hard to meet that minimum. I should add, my books are not exactly mainstream, so more commercial books may perform much better on Story Cartel. Last but not least, beware their featured book promo.