All About Books discussion

Disgrace
This topic is about Disgrace
The 100 Best Novels > Week 99 - Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments The penultimate book on Robert Crum's list is J.M. Coetzee's Disgrace:

"Disgrace was a Booker prize winner in 1999, making JM Coetzee the first writer to win the trophy twice (first with Life & Times of Michael K). In 2003, he was also awarded the Nobel prize in literature. But beyond the awards, Coetzee is notable as a great South African writer who, together with Breyten Breytenbach and the late André Brink, grappled with the savage complexity of the apartheid and post-apartheid years. Coetzee also took the novel in English into new imaginative and moral territory. From his many outstanding works of fiction, Disgrace is unquestionably his masterpiece."

You can read the full article from the Guardian

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I haven't read this although it is on my TBR. Maybe I should read it this year & beef up my southern hemisphere reading!

message 3: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I'm glad J.M. Coetzeehas made an appearance. I think he is an exceptional writer. My favourites of his books areWaiting for the Barbarians and Foe. Maybe we could have him as a quarterly author at some stage?

So who will it be next week I wonder? My vote is forColum McCann.

message 4: by Gill (last edited Aug 10, 2015 11:33AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Leslie wrote: "The penultimate book on Robert Crum's list is J.M. Coetzee's Disgrace:

"Disgrace was a Booker prize winner in 1999, making JM Coetzee the first writer to win the trophy twi..."

Leslie, I think the link to the Guardian article is missing.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Gill wrote: "I'm glad J.M. Coetzeehas made an appearance. I think he is an exceptional writer. My favourites of his books areWaiting for the Barbarians and Foe. Maybe we ..."

Oh, good idea Gill! As for what the last book will be, I have no idea -- my knowledge of contemporary authors has improved since I joined GoodReads but it is still weak. I hope we make it into the new century though :D

Erica | 862 comments I remember picking up this book a few years back when I was traveling around Europe. I remember thinking it was well written and went on to pick up another of his books (the name of which escapes me) but it wasn't as good and a bit to "literary" for me so I've not picked up any since. I think this book Disgrace has been made into a movie though so I should watch that.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read this. Gill that is a great idea!

I'm quite sad this is going to be over as I've really enjoyed reading the articles. I think I will make this a challenge in the future to read all of these books. Maybe starting next year

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I have this on my bookshelf to read. I have read and enjoyed Foe, so am looking forward to readong it. Excellent idea, Gill!

message 9: by LauraT (new) - added it

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "I haven't read this although it is on my TBR. Maybe I should read it this year & beef up my southern hemisphere reading!"

I've read it, and found difficolut to deal with; it's rather short and it takes not much to finish it, but it is so ... strong, in language and plot...

message 10: by Pink (new)

Pink I haven't read this but it's on my tbr list. I have read Foe, but I really didn't like it. In fact I think I hated it more than Robinson Crusoe and that's saying something! It won't put me off trying something else by him though.

I have no idea who's left.

message 11: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11721 comments Mod
Wow, can't believe there's only one book left.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7515 comments Mod
Glad to see Coetzee on the list! I haven't read this one though!

message 13: by Albert (last edited Aug 15, 2015 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Albert | 0 comments This was the first Coetzee novel I read. It was one of the most powerful and disturbing reading experiences I have ever had. I have since read five of his other novels, hoping to come close to that initial experience. I have enjoyed some but nothing has come close to Disgrace. I have not read Foe.