The Pickwick Club discussion

Authors presenting their Dickens-related books

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Shandy This is a thread for authors who want to present their own books related to Dickens and / or his works.

Please make sure that self-promotion is going to be restricted to this thread.

message 2: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Hi everyone

I am delighted that there is this new folder! I joined the group some time ago, but I have held back from posting because of the self-promotion rule. Let me briefly introduce myself and my book.

I am Stephen Jarvis, the author of the recently-published novel Death and Mr Pickwick, which tells the story behind the creation of The Pickwick Papers. You can find out more about the novel at: www.deathandmrpickwick.com Also, there is a very active facebook page, where there is a real sense of a 'fan community' starting up. I do hope you will take a look - www.facebook.com/deathandmrpickwick

If you have any questions about me or the novel, I would be happy to answer them.

Best wishes

Stephen

message 3: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Hi everyone - I have already introduced my novel Death and Mr Pickwick, but I thought you might be interested in hearing about a photo competition which I have launched to tie in with the Canadian publication of Death and Mr Pickwick on September 22nd. You can win a signed copy of Death and Mr Pickwick, and full details are on the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/deathandmrpi...
Best wishes

Stephen

message 4: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Yesterday, there was major news...

Rowan Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, has chosen Death and Mr Pickwick as book of the year!

The former head of the worldwide Anglican church describes my novel as: "a wonderful re-creation of the imaginative world in which Dickens and his collaborators discovered Pickwick and his companions".

In the survey, conducted by New Statesman magazine, Death and Mr Pickwick was also chosen as the book of the year by the biographer and cultural historian Lucy Hughes-Hallett. She had previously expressed her enthusiasm for Death and Mr Pickwick during the summer, on the Guardian's list of Best Holiday Reads, when she described Death and Mr Pickwick as "a novel as crowded, rude and brilliantly inventive as the great pre-Dickensian caricatures it celebrates."

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter S.n. wrote: "Yesterday, there was major news...

Rowan Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, has chosen Death and Mr Pickwick as book of the year!

The former head of the worldwide Anglican church desc..."

My congratulations. I'm sure it was a long road to complete your novel, but I hope you had many wonderful Pickwickian adventures along the way.

message 6: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Many thanks! Yes, the novel took a very long time to write, and I certainly did have some Pickwickian adventures along the way. Indeed such adventures are still going on, and I post about them regularly on the novel's facebook page!

Best wishes

Stephen

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Congratulations S.n., it's good to know your Pickwickian adventures are continuing. :-)

message 8: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Many thanks, Kim. Here is an example:

https://www.facebook.com/deathandmrpi...

message 9: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments I thought people might be interested in the news that Death and Mr Pickwick has made the Sunday Times Book of the Year list!

My novel is effectively in the #2 slot, as it tops the list of Exceptional Novels of 2015, chosen by Peter Kemp, apart from the book chosen as his novel of the year. (A Spool of Blue Thread, by Anne Tyler.) This what he says about Death and Mr Pickwick:

Death and Mr Pickwick by Stephen Jarvis

Brimming with colourful characters, written with tremendous verve and bursting with information, Jarvis’s 800-page novel about the rivalry between Charles Dickens and Robert Seymour, the artist who illustrated the first two monthly numbers of The Pickwick Papers, unrolls a wonderful panorama of London on the cusp between the Georgian and Victorian eras. Moving in and out of artists’ quarters, publishers’ offices, lodging houses, law courts, theatres, gin palaces and gentlemen’s clubs, it exuberantly resurrects an age of transition and enthrallingly depicts the pleasures and the pressures of creativity.

message 10: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments The latest news about Death and Mr Pickwick is that BBC History Magazine says that it is "the most remarkable historical fiction debut of 2015".

This is the full statement in the magazine, by Nick Rennison: "Dickensian in both scope and subject matter, Stephen Jarvis's Death and Mr Pickwick was the most remarkable historical fiction debut of 2015. Focusing on the genesis of The Pickwick Papers, the serial novel that transformed Dickens from promising hack writer into national celebrity, Jarvis resurrects the forgotten figure of Robert Seymour, the artist that he claims was the true creator of Mr Pickwick. A vast, sprawling epic, packed with digression and detail, it is a brilliant achievement for a first-time novelist."

message 11: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Now here is something which I know is going to be controversial on here - Death and Mr Pickwick has made the Foyles Fiction of the Year list, and is described as "A NOVEL WORTHY OF DICKENS HIMSELF." Here is my facebook post about this news: https://www.facebook.com/deathandmrpi...

message 12: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Here's a chance to win a deck of Pickwick-themed playing cards! Go to this post at the Death and Mr Pickwick facebook page to find out more:

https://www.facebook.com/deathandmrpi...

message 13: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments The facebook page for Death and Mr Pickwick has now been up and running for over a year, with a huge amount of material posted by myself and others - pictures by Seymour and other artists, reports of excursions to places connected to the novel, historical investigations and much more - forming a daily commentary on both Death and Mr Pickwick and The Pickwick Papers. I am collecting the daily posts into e-flipbooks, forming The Chronicles of Death and Mr Pickwick, which makes them much easier to read than facebook, and volume one is now online, covering the first six months of posts. To access it, go to www.deathandmrpickwick.com and click on the 'Further Reading' tab. You'll see there a link to the flipbook. You then expand the flipbook to full-screen by clicking on the symbol on the right, and use the arrows to flip the pages. You can also zoom, and switch to a single-page, double-page or multi-page format.

All the best

Stephen

message 14: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Congratulations, Stephen, on all your achievements. Marvellous news!

message 15: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Many thanks, Hilary. And volume two will be coming soon!

message 16: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Excellent news! I am delighted for you! Rowan Williams is a highly intelligent, though maligned, man. Such recognition from him counts for a lot, as do all the others, of course. I wish you all good things for your second book. Truly wonderful!

message 17: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Hello again Hilary - Yes, it was indeed a huge moment for me when Rowan Williams said it was his book of the year. And thanks for your very kind thoughts about my next book - I have indeed now started work on it. That project will keep me very busy, though I shall continue to do my daily Death and Mr Pickwick facebook post. Very best wishes
Stephen

message 18: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Major news - Death and Mr Pickwick has been nominated for one of the world's most prestigious literary prizes!!! The novel is one of thirteen books on the longlist of the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction. The shortlist, of six books, will be announced in March, and the winner announced on June 18th.

message 19: by John (last edited Apr 17, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

John Stiles | 2 comments Hello fans of Charles Dickens. My name is John Stiles a London based Canadian author. Congrats to Stephen Jarvis on a great achievement and could I be so bold as to add I read an early review copy of Death and Mr Pickwick - and reviewed here:

http://howyahdoon.blogspot.co.uk/2015...

The Charles Dickens' penned Grimaldi biography is an absolute winner too I hasten to add.

message 20: by John (new)

John Stiles | 2 comments Some separate notes on Dickens' power of words and influence on a middle aged writer here, too.

http://howyahdoon.blogspot.co.uk/2015...

message 21: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Hi everyone - I thought you might be interested in the news that there are now NINE VOLUMES of the Death and Mr Pickwick e-flipbook online, forming in a way an 'online museum' of Pickwickiana. You can read about the announcement - and see how to access the flipbooks - at this link: https://www.facebook.com/deathandmrpi...

message 22: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments I shall be presenting Death and Mr Pickwick: An Illustrated Talk at the Guildhall Library on Tuesday 7th June from 18.00 to 20.00. This includes a wine reception. Tickets cost £6.47 and can be purchased at this link https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/death-...
I finished writing the talk and putting together the powerpoint slides yesterday and I honestly think it will be the best presentation of the book I've done. It will include a live performance of the Tale of the George and Vulture. There will be time set aside for questions from the audience too.

message 23: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments HOT NEWS!!!!!

Death and Mr Pickwick nominated for Historical Writers' Association Goldsboro Debut Crown Award!

http://historicalwriters.org/the-hwa-...

message 24: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments MAJOR NEWS! Death and Mr Pickwick is now SHORTLISTED for the Historical Writers' Association best debut historical novel award!! I attended the event last night, at Goldsboro Books, at which the shortlist of six was announced - the final will be on October 21st.

message 25: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments The ELEVENTH volume of the Death and Mr Pickwick e-flipbook is now available - with material on excursions, Pickwickiana, historical figures and much more! To access this, and all the other volumes, simply go to www.deathandmrpickwick.com and click on the 'Further Reading' tab.

message 26: by S.n. (new)

S.n. Jarvis | 19 comments Here is an interview with me for Historia magazine, published by the Historical Writers' Association. http://www.historiamag.com/historia-i...

message 27: by Will (new)

Will Todd First, let me introduce myself:

My (pen) name is William Todd, and I'd like to offer every reader of The Pickwick Club what will either be deemed an early Christmas gift, or an outrageous act of presumption!

You see, I've written a sequel to "A Christmas Carol".

It's called, "A Christmas Coda".

Before I try to convince you this might be a worthy investment of your likely-hectic holiday time, here are the nitty (but not so very gritty) details of the offer:

"A Christmas Coda" by William Todd

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Use code LV63S (not case sensitive) at checkout to receive a FREE copy in any digital format you prefer, including .mobi (for Kindle), .epub, and PDF.

(Coupon valid through December 2016)

And now my attempt to intrigue:

David Perdue, of the prominent "Charles Dickens Page" online, recently read "A Christmas Coda", and left the following review on its Amazon page:

5.0 out of 5 stars - Dickens would approve!
By David A. Perdue on October 18, 2016
Format: Kindle Edition
A well-written and interesting sequel to A Christmas Carol with a Dickensian feel. As author of The Charles Dickens Page on the Web I've seen a few A Christmas Carol sequels and A Christmas Coda is easily the best I have read.

There have been, of course, many sequels already written to "A Christmas Carol". It's probably best I didn't know this when I started! I am certainly aware of it now, though my informal survey shows that these have mostly taken a different tack than mine. There are sequels that follow the characters over many future years, and often not kindly; sequels that turn supporting characters into protagonists (Tiny Tim, Jacob Marley); and many, many sequels that violate Dickens own instruction in the final paragraph of "A Christmas Carol" that clearly states, "[Scrooge] had no further intercourse with spirits."

"A Christmas Coda" takes a different, perhaps simpler, approach. It answers the questions that, like the spirits that haunted Scrooge himself, occasionally visited me as a writer:

- How did Scrooge help Tiny Tim to walk again?
- Could there be any chance for Scrooge to redeem lost love?
- How could Scrooge ever repay a debt of the magnitude he owed Jacob Marley?

These form the basis of my story. It takes place exactly one year after the events of "A Christmas Carol". And exactly like "A Christmas Carol", it takes place entirely on December the 24th, 25th, and 26th.

If you wish to read a little more about the Wherefore of "A Christmas Coda", you may do so at its dedicated page on my own website:

http://www.toddtrumpet.com/03%20Speci...

If you wish to sample the first chapter, you may do so at its Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Coda...

But if you find any of this intriguing, or would care to take a short, novella-length break from the hustle of the modern holiday season, to the bustle of Victorian London in December 1844, simply use the coupon code above to obtain your free copy.

Thank you, and

With Tidings of Comfort and Joy,

William Todd

message 28: by Will (new)

Will Todd A quick addendum to my original post (directly above):

My FREE offer continues through the end of December (12/31/16), but - in an attempt to entice a few others to sample my short novella, "A Christmas Coda" - there have been a few additional reviews posted that might help tip the scales!

One in particular, by Dr. Elliot Engel, a prominent Dickens scholar, said, in part:

With the cornucopia of authentic Dickensian delights jam-packed so lovingly within A CHRISTMAS CODA, even little Oliver Twist could hardly ask for "more."

I hope all who have an interest will sample the opening chapter at Amazon, or download the entire novella for FREE from Smashwords.

And, as always, may your holiday season be filled--

With Tidings of Comfort and Joy,

William Todd