Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Harry and Hermione

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

LilyTheLuckyBerry Who thinks that Harry should have been paired up with Hermione instead of Ginny, Ginny should be with Neville and Ron should get over his annoyance with Luna then get married to her?

Frog The beauty of Harry Potter is that the romance isn't a main plot point for once. I say, who cares?
He got married when he was older and didn't obsess over romance in his teen years. I personally love how Rowling makes fun of pointless "cute" teen romance with Ron and Lavender. I'm very happy J.K Rowling didn't make Harry and Hermione have a cliche, corny ongoing romance throughout the series.

Ruby Fish wrote: "The beauty of Harry Potter is that the romance isn't a main plot point for once. I say, who cares?
He got married when he was older and didn't obsess over romance in his teen years. I personally l..."

I also appreciate the way Rowling didn't make romance the main point. The story took center stage with teenager-life things like romance and schoolwork in the background.

As for the discussion, I think that Ron and Hermione makes more sense than Harry and Ginny. More natural. Neville and Luna, I think, should have been together because she was the oddball of Ravenclaws and he the shy Gryffindor. I was okay with Ginny/Harry though because it interwove Harry with the Weasleys more.

Frog Good point, Ruby.
I like how Harry finally became a part of the Weasleys at the end. I thought that was very satisfying and fitting. Sometimes there are more fulfilling things to write or care about than whether or not the main boy and girl got together.

LilyTheLuckyBerry I understand what u guys mean, how Harry finally got to be apart of the Weasleys. But I don't think that Hermione will gwt along with Ron, as she's straight faced and very serious and he's relaxed and always sees the good in things.(Apart from Voldermort) Ginny and Harry aren't bad, as she can controll Harry whereas Hermoine can't. Ginny and Neville would make a good couple as she's there for him. Ron and Luna would be alright because in that couple, there's a mixture of funny and weird. You guys are right, Harry Potter has a main plot while relationships are in the background, but I think that J.K Rowling's couples are weird and don't fit.

Katy I like Ginny and Harry together. I think she grew into a strong person. But I wish her character had been more developed in the books. I have more trouble seeing Ron and Hermione together, but I hesitate to say that, because in reality I wouldn't like anything changed in these books.

Frog There's also the question of whether or not it matters if the couples are ideal for each other. Maybe they don't get along and that could just be an entertaining part of the story. But you're right, we don't really see much of Ginny or of the characters married or dating, so we don't know for sure what it's like. It's just up to the imagination.

message 8: by Ruby (last edited Aug 11, 2015 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby I suppose that I could see Ron and Luna together, but the problem is that the reason they weren't together was mostly their character differences. Ron was weirded out by her beliefs and conspiracy theories, and she thought he was close-minded. That means that to be together, both would have to go through some major character changes. Ron would have to be more accepting and less obstinate, I think, and that would clash with his character in DH. If Luna changed, she might stop being so imaginative or vocal about it, which we'd hate. So I'd rather keep him the same with the same personality than have it change.

LilyTheLuckyBerry Ruby: You're totally right. But they don't fit just like Ron and Hermione don't fit.

Tanya Fish wrote: "The beauty of Harry Potter is that the romance isn't a main plot point for once. I say, who cares?
He got married when he was older and didn't obsess over romance in his teen years. I personally l..."
I totally agree with your statement. We can't change the ending of the series but Rowling did say she regrets the pairing up at the end of it. Either way it worked out and
at the end of the day it highlighted the theme of family and how love conquers all.
HP is past, present and future. :)

message 11: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie I would have like to have seen Harry and Luna together, although I don't mind him ending up with Ginny (I'm a Ginny fan). I think Ron and Hermione deserved each other, because I still can't picture Harry spending the rest of his life being nagged by Hermione (and let's be honest, Hermione does like to nag). Harry isn't a pushover, so he really wouldn't be a good fit with Hermione. I also thought Neville and Luna would have made a good pairing, but I definitely can't see Ron and Luna together for the reasons Ruby mentioned.

message 12: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby I do agree that Ginny could have been fleshed out a little more. For most of the series she was: "Ron's sister" and played that part: she was there when the Weasleys were in a scene or to give insight on what the younger years were up to at Hogwarts.

I think to make Harry and Ginny better, he should have shown interest in her earlier on and not so abruptly. What we really need would be a reason he liked her that was not attached to the Weasleys or the fact that she was always hanging out with them. Maybe make her give more advice or make up more of Harry's friends' group/backbone. As it is, by the sixth book, Rowling couldn't have done that, so I think she did what she could and it turned out alright.

LilyTheLuckyBerry I agree. Maybe Ginny should have hung out with Harry or hung out with Harry and Ron when Hermione wasn't there (For example, when Harry and Ron had had a row with Hermione in the third book). Then, maybe, Harry and Ginny could have had feelings for each other much MUCH earlier than the sixth book.

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I think Harry and Ginny are okay, but Cho would have been better because he is interested in her for awhile. With Ginny he kind of turns to her after he realizes the thing with Cho won't work out. It would have been better if Ginny was the one he asked to the dance and kissed under the Mistletoe.

Also I think Rowling's match between Hermione and Ron was very good. They fought all the time during their teen years, but would always make up. I feel that this is very natural and could actually happen.

I think Neville and Luna would have been perfect for each other. They both have their sort of odd (but amazing) personalities that would go great with each other.

message 15: by Frog (last edited Aug 12, 2015 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog I can't say that Ron and Hermione ever seemed unrealistic to me for the reason that they always fight.
That is, I can actually picture that happening in real life.

message 16: by Ruby (last edited Aug 13, 2015 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby The fact that Ron and Hermione remained best friends for seven years and that their fights (which were mainly outbursts of annoyance at each other) didn't cause dislike between them make it seem very possible that they would have ended up together. It wasn't like they couldn't stand each other- they just had differences. Their main points of view were very much aligned and their wills didn't clash. There weren't that many times where the problem was Ron wanting to do x while Hermione wanted to do y, so I'd say them being a couple isn't impossible.

LilyTheLuckyBerry I completely agree with you. But don't you think that if Ginny started hanging out (with Hermione, obviously, or when Hermione breaks up with Ron and Harry) with Harry and Ron earlier, Harry and Ginny would develop feelings BEFORE the sixth book so Ginny and Harry's relationship wouldn't seem so... "new"?

message 18: by Frog (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog I can picture them getting to know each other better after the books.
But I suppose the kiss was a bit rushed and cliche.

LilyTheLuckyBerry I agree. Rowling planned to have them marry and wrote the kiss a bit too late to be accepted. If she'd had them kiss in the fourth/fifth book, like Harry did with Cho, then yes. They wouldn't be framed as the "new" couple. But, even though Hermione and Ron kissed in the seventh book, we're all right with them as we kind of knew (inadvertently/unconsciously)that they would end up together. But with Harry and Ginny, we don't take them as seriously as Hermione and Ron.

LilyTheLuckyBerry For me, if Harry kissed Hermione in the seventh book, I'd still accept it. But as it was Harry and Ginny, I find it a bit weird.

message 21: by Frog (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog I wish we saw more of the Weasleys in general.
They were good characters with lots of potential. (Not that what she did was bad at all).

I can see them having their own story.

message 22: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby In the book, Ginny and Harry first kiss in the middle of a triumphant Griffinpride party to celebrate Gryffindor winning the Quidditch Cup. It wasn't some mysterious secret like in the movie. Their relationship in the movie was done differently than in the books- he spent a lot more time with her in the books. I think that first kiss should have been done like it was in the books because the movie changed the mood slightly.

message 23: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy I don't really have a problem with Harry and Ginny not getting together until later in the story. When they first met they were 10 and 11 (or somewhere in that range) and she was his best friend's little sister who had a crush on him, which everyone thought was funny. They were both growing up during the story and I think it was natural that it took awhile for him to see her as a romantic interest.

LilyTheLuckyBerry I guess so. But if Harry and Ginny were to get CLOSER, then they should have kissed in the fourth/fifth book, then maybe they could've broken up, then Harry could've dated another girl (Parvarti Patil or something), then he could've broken up with that girl, kissed Ginny just as he did in the seventh book, then realised he loved her, but couldn't be with her, then got together with her after the war.

Shilpi Saha Friends...Hermione is smartest of them all...and Ron is good for her. Harry is ok..but a troubled child...needs a lot of attention....Hermione will like him as a friend but good she settled for dependable, always there in d background Ron.

Kieran Allaway Ron needs Hermione to balance out hiss lack of intelligence. Harry needed to be part of the weasley family cuz he practically already was anyhow. Never the less I could see it going the other way around but it was nice to see Harry break out of the group a little for Ginny. I think I would have liked this couple more though if we learned more about them and if more details of the relationship where shared, in the end the reader lacks the information the truly make an educated opinion on the matter. I do love how it worked out that in the beginning Ginny was so obsessed with Harry and in the end they got together.

Indigo Ruby wrote: "The fact that Ron and Hermione remained best friends for seven years and that their fights (which were mainly outbursts of annoyance at each other) didn't cause dislike between them make it seem ve..."

I agree on that but what also happened was that in the movie for example the last one it turned out that Ron was getting more reliable and I guess you could say kinda like hermione because it was Ron that thought of using the Basilisk's fang to kill the horcrux

Shilpi Saha Kriti wrote: "Ruby wrote: "The fact that Ron and Hermione remained best friends for seven years and that their fights (which were mainly outbursts of annoyance at each other) didn't cause dislike between them ma..."

Yes I agree Ron and Hermione is a better pair Kriti ....and Kieran true the romance life of Harry Potter was never touched upon by Rowling.....but that saved the day for us....didn't it? Really an enjoyable saga for kids to grandmas :)

Indigo Yeah

James LilyTheLuckyBerry wrote: "Who thinks that Harry should have been paired up with Hermione instead of Ginny, Ginny should be with Neville and Ron should get over his annoyance with Luna then get married to her?"

Totally agree with all three pairings.

LilyTheLuckyBerry James: Thanks! Finally! Someone agrees with me! :)

Hannah I totally do.

message 33: by Juyee (last edited Aug 22, 2015 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juyee Fish wrote: "The beauty of Harry Potter is that the romance isn't a main plot point for once. I say, who cares?

I totally second this. For me, Harry Potter has always been about losing yourself in the that spellbinding world, where friendship and sacrifice for your loved ones mattered more than lovey-dovey pairings.
Now don't get me wrong here, a few years ago I would have wanted Harry to end up with Hermoine as much as the next girl does. But I have grown up to realize that what Harry and Hermoine shared was a true and pure bonding of friendship, the kind where one stands for the another no matter whatever circumstances they are put in. They loved each other. They were not in love with each other.
And this is what J.K Rowling wanted to show us. And I respect her for whatever ending she decided for Harry Potter.

message 34: by LilyTheLuckyBerry (last edited Aug 23, 2015 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LilyTheLuckyBerry Zoey wrote: They loved each other. They were not in love with each other.
And this is what J.K Rowling wanted to show us. And I respect her for whatever ending she decided for Harry Potter.

Wow. You're totally right. You've made me see a different aspect from Harry and Hermione. What do you think about the other couples though?

message 35: by Frog (last edited Aug 23, 2015 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog Personally, I think this is one thing that separates books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson.

Look at the last one, which makes pairings so much of a priority. Despite how much we might or might not enjoy Percy Jackson, which series honestly has the most credibility and why? Potter sticks to its guns. Percy Jackson caves into corny and cliche scenarios more often.

What I always admired about Rowling is that she doesn't apologize for what she makes up (by being sarcastic or milking it) nor does she do things just because she thinks she has to. I believe that's what makes it more powerful in the end.

message 36: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Khaemba This has always been my number one debate about the book... But seriously lets just thank God J.K. Rowling didn't start a love triangle between Harry, Ron and Hermione. Plus it would have been a cliche if the baddest witch would have end up with the boy who lived. I'm happy Ron Ended up with her coz in a way He did over come the friendzone!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I like Ron and Hermione, they do argue a lot, but they always make up again. Ron and Hermione aren't exactly the most alike, but they work. Although it often shows they clearly care about each other, such as when Ron screamed for her, when she was being tortured. And they fell asleep holding hands, something really sweet. I think they're a good couple.

I like Harry best with Luna. Well, they both lost parents and Luna could possibly get another side out of Harry and Harry out of Luna.

Stephanie Nah, I love Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione, respectively :)

The thing is, I think Harry and Hermione have an amazing relationship, but it's always read as very much siblings to me. They obviously love each other dearly, and Hermione's more consistently great friend to Harry than even Ron (not that I don't love Ron, it's just he did definitely have his moments of letting his insecurities cause him to not be a good friend), but there's nothing romantic there.

At least with the Ginny of the books, something about her personality just seems to work really well with Harry's for a romantic relationship imo. She'll hold her own and call Harry out when he gets into his hot headed/too-up-in-his-own-head moments, but she's also got a great sense of humor that matches very well with Harry's.

Hermione's an amazing friend and always there for Harry, but she's a bit too strictly logical, serious, and earnest for them to work as a couple- hence why she's more like the caring sister who he knows is always well intentioned and whom he appreciates even if she can get a bit much for him at times.

With Ron, though, he and Hermione are different enough that they help balance each other out. Ron has some trouble focusing and really getting serious about things, and Hermione keeps him in check with that, while Ron helps Hermione loosen up a bit and encourages her to have a sense of humor about things.

message 39: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Very well said. I totally agree.

LilyTheLuckyBerry Stephanie wrote: "Nah, I love Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione, respectively :)

The thing is, I think Harry and Hermione have an amazing relationship, but it's always read as very much siblings to me. They obv..."

Yes, there are moments when Hermione tries to loosen up and looks weird. Anyway, J.K Rowling even said Ron and Hermione had couple's leesons!

message 41: by Frog (last edited Dec 11, 2015 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog Maybe we shouldn't be asking if Ron and Hermione are "good" for each other.
What about, are they believable, entertaining or thought provoking when they're together?

A story isn't automatically good because an ideal thing happens. A story is good if an interesting thing happens.

In the end, it's not usually the perfect Mary Sues or seeing a character get everything they want that moves us the most. Why would it be any different for a fictional couple? Should we all treat couples the same way as Stephenie Meyer? Or should we ask, what's the most interesting thing we could do as opposed to the most "perfect?"

LilyTheLuckyBerry Fish wrote: "Maybe we shouldn't be asking if Ron and Hermione are "good" for each other.
What about, are they believable, entertaining or thought provoking when they're together?

A story isn't automatically g..."

Yes, I think Ron and Hermione would be a perfect act for a circus. But, in HPDH, there are some scenes between Harry and Hermione that Ron just couldn't be apart of.

message 43: by Rae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rae NO. JUST NO.

Okay, let me explain what's wrong with Harmony first. First of all, they're best friends. The trend needs to break. Stop pairing straight protagonists with their opposite sex straight BFF. Secondly, they have no chemistry together. Where's the sexual tension? Quote an extract for me. Their personalities are fundamentally incompatible. Finally, just because you like character A and character B, it does not mean that you ship them. It does not mean that you pair them together. You don't find me shipping Dumbledore and Harry, do you? Dumbledore and Snape? Harry and Bellatrix? Ginny with her mother? Liking two characters and thinking that they are strong characters does not make them compatible! I cannot stress this enough.

Now I can move onto why Romione works (I ship Dramione personally, but canonically, you can see that Ron and Hermione did like each other even before they were dating, right from Philosopher's Stone). There was such a build up between them from book 1 to book 7. It's one of those hate-to-love relationships. Reread the series and pay close attention to Ron and Hermione's interactions. Notice something? The sexual tension between these two characters is high throughout the series and their relationship is very dynamic and healthy.

Please stop with your Harry x Hermione stuff. They are not meant to be, and just because JKR ships them, it does not mean that you have to as well. She is our queen, not our master.

LilyTheLuckyBerry Emerald wrote: "NO. JUST NO.

Okay, let me explain what's wrong with Harmony first. First of all, they're best friends. The trend needs to break. Stop pairing straight protagonists with their opposite sex straight..."

Hermione and Ron's relationship is anything but healthy.

message 45: by Frog (last edited Dec 12, 2015 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog A circus sounds good, but that's just me.
It seems like these days a story's worth is based on two things: how strong their female characters are and how perfect the one true pairing is.
Harry Potter was good because it saw past those "priorities" for once and had fun/was more sincere/had different goals. I think we're taking that for granted. It really is what sets the Potter books worlds apart from other cardboard YA fantasies that are more about adoring characters than anything else. (See Heroes of Olympus).

Generally speaking, I guess I don't really have an opinion on who was better for Hermione, however. I prefer to stay out of shipping when it comes to things like that, haha.
But I do appreciate that Harry became part of the Weasley family and thought it was fitting.

message 46: by Rae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rae LilyTheLuckyBerry wrote: "Hermione and Ron's relationship is anything but healthy. "

Explain, please? Their arguing was just sexual tension and pent up attraction. Did you pay attention when Hermione was being tortured? Did you notice how Ron reacted?

LilyTheLuckyBerry Emerald wrote: "LilyTheLuckyBerry wrote: "Hermione and Ron's relationship is anything but healthy. "

Explain, please? Their arguing was just sexual tension and pent up attraction. Did you pay attention when Hermi..."

Hermione and Ron argue EVERY DAY . In the Goblet Of Fire, HERMIONE WAS ON HARRY'S SIDE. In the Deathly Hallows, even though Hermione had feelings for Ron, when Ron and Harry had that arguement, SHE WAS ON HARRY'S SIDE.
Explian please?

message 48: by Rae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rae LilyTheLuckyBerry wrote: "Hermione and Ron argue EVERY DAY . In the Goblet Of Fire, HERMIONE WAS ON HARRY'S SIDE. In the Deathly Hallows, even though Hermione had feelings for Ron, when Ron and Harry had that arguement, SHE WAS ON HARRY'S SIDE.
Explian please? "

Like I said above, sexual tension and pent up attraction. Also, loving someone doesn't mean that you side with them in debates all of the time. It's unhealthy love to do that. That's not love; that's creepy obsession, which is extremely unhealthy and undesirable.

message 49: by Frog (last edited Dec 16, 2015 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frog I don't understand why the concern is whether or not the characters wound up in ideal relationships. What is the end goal here? Entertainment value? Or are we just talking about romance in general?

message 50: by Rae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rae Fish wrote: "I don't understand why the concern is whether or not the characters wound up in ideal relationships. What is the end goal here? Entertainment value? Or are we just talking about romance in general?"

We're just talking about who Harry/Hermione/Ron felt (romantic) affection for in canon.

« previous 1