Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Living Biographies of Famous Men
This topic is about Living Biographies of Famous Men
Book Issues > Book description

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments I'm going through the GR entries for the Living Biographies series. As far as I know, the father-and-son team of Henry & Dana Lee Thomas wrote a dozen of them in the 1940s. Henry is always credited first as author.
There is currently no description for this volume linked above. As in the other volumes, there were twenty sketches. It might be helpful to at least put the names of those featured in this book in the description field. They were: Alexander the Great, Marco Polo, Columbus, Benvenuto Cellini, Sir Walter Raleigh, Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson, Goethe, Simon Bolivar, Benjamin Disraeli, Garibaldi, Karl Marx, Sun Yat-sen, Lenin, Marconi, Enrico Caruso, Paderewski, Mustapha Kemal Ataturk, George Bernard Shaw, Winston Churchill.
As in all the volumes of the series, there were illustrations by Gordon Ross.

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Information added; thanks.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Yanes (lizilena) | 265 comments Confirmed with worldcat; done. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments Thanks, Abcdarian and Liz. Now I've opened up Living Biographies of Great Philosophers. This shows at least 10 iterations, but as far as I can tell, they can be boiled down to no more than four. The original hardback, which was published in 1941 (not 1382, as one of the entries has it), seems to be listed several times.
BTW, amazon.com has a photo of the dust jacket: http://www.amazon.com/Living-Biograph.... Unfortunately, it's not that great. Unfortunately, I no longer have my copy.

message 5: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments The audio editions have unique ISBNs, so no deletion. Added the original dust jacket image to the first edition hardcover & deleted basically empty copies of that. The odd date was from the Arabic edition; changed to western date.

message 6: by Henry (new)

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments Thanks, Abcdarian!

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41663 comments Mod
Not Arabic; Persian.

message 8: by Henry (new)

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments Thanks for joining in, Rivka. Good to know.