HAPPILY EVER AFTER discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 1164 comments Mod
Hello everyone, 

Hope all is well at your end :-)

You are all requested to please suggest a Contemporary Romance book for us to read in the month of August, 2016 :-)

You have till 25th July, 2016 to nominate the book that you wish to (you can even suggest a book that is written by you...!)

...and on 26th July, 2016, the selected book will be announced here

...along with the link to the discussion thread where you can describe your reading experiences regarding that book...!

Please try not to make your comments too specific in the discussion but if you would like to mention certain revelatory facts about the story, then please use the spoiler feature.*

Looking forward to your participation :-)

Thanks ...and happy reading...! :-)

--Ramla Zareen

*spoiler feature: < spoiler>...< /spoiler>

There wouldn't be a space after the two front brackets, but I have put them there so that the formula shows up.  

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (new)

My recommendation: Kissing the Maid of Honor Kissing the Maid of Honor (Secret Wishes, #1) by Robin Bielman by Robin Bielman.

message 3: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 4 comments My suggestion is Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. It's funny in places.

Or, Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. She is also a very good writer.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Coventry I would like to nominate my own book, See You Then, for the contemporary romance selection. See You Then

message 5: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Adeem wrote: "My suggestion is Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. It's funny in places.

Or, Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. She is also a very good writer."

Thanks for the recommendations, Adeem, your participation is much appreciated. By the way, it seems to me that Bet Me Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie by Jennifer Crusie might be more of a Romantic Comedy / Chick-Lit than Contemporary Romance. If you also feel that way then you are most welcome to recommend it for our November 2016 group read:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Thanks again! :-) 

message 6: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Susan wrote: "I would like to nominate my own book, See You Then, for the contemporary romance selection. See You Then"

Thanks for the recommendation, Susan, I usually select the books for the group read by scribbling the names of all the recommended books on individual pieces of paper and drawing lots ...I hope for your sake that one of the selected books will be yours. In any case, I have already added it to my personal tbr list and am looking forward to reading it soon, all the best! :-)

message 7: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 4 comments Yeah, all of these sub and sub categories make my head spin. That is why I content myself being an observer over actively taking part.

message 8: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Adeem wrote: "Yeah, all of these sub and sub categories make my head spin. That is why I content myself being an observer over actively taking part."

Lolz ;-) Please don't feel bad, Adeem, I know that sometimes there can be such a thin line between 'witty Contemporary Romances' and 'Romantic Comedies' that even highly experienced readers can get confused!

In fact, there are certain books in my shelf that I have actually labelled both since I just couldn't decide which of the two categories to put them in, even after re-reading them several times!

Moreover, I have read few books by Jennifer Crusie and found them closer to the genre of Romantic Comedy than Contemporary Romance, yet I know that some of the other readers feel differently, and this confusion motivated my request for your opinion regarding this particular book by this author, thanks :-)

message 9: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 4 comments It's okay. I defer to your superior judgement.

message 10: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Adeem wrote: "It's okay. I defer to your superior judgement."

Well, since I haven't read this particular book and you have, so your judgement would be likely to be superior than mine in this case, lolz ;-)

However, in order to further clarify this issue, I have initiated a query on this topic in the following discussion thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

By the way, hope you understand my reasons for delving into this matter. Personally, as a reader, I am not too fussy about such stuff but as a group moderator, it's my responsibility to be careful about labelling each book with an accurate sub-genre so that the group's bookshelf remains organized. 

Besides, it might also be interesting to have a discussion on this topic! :-) 

Anyway, hopefully we'll get enough responses from members who have read this book to help us reach some satisfactory conclusion, otherwise, I'll just let your current recommendation stand, thanks again for your participation, and all the best! :-)

message 11: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 4 comments Wonderful. I'd be a learning experience for me too.

message 12: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Hello everyone, 

Hope all is well at your end :-)

Thanks for recommending books for our August group read ...and the selected books are:

SELECTED BOOK 1:

Kissing the Maid of Honor Kissing the Maid of Honor (Secret Wishes, #1) by Robin Bielman by Robin Bielman.

Discussion Thread:

SELECTED BOOK 2:

See You Then See You Then by Susan Coventry by Susan Coventry.

Discussion Thread:

Well, looking forward to interacting with you all in the discussions :-)

Thanks ...and happy reading! :-)

--Ramla Zareen

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.