Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > August 2015 Q&A!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Drexler | 37 comments Our August 2015 Question and Answers week starts tomorrow, August 10th and runs through August 13!

Monday starts out with Shannon Farrington answering questions about her August release, "An Unlikely Union."

On Tuesday, Noelle Marchand joins us. Her book is "The Texan's Courtship Lessons."

Wednesday is Regina Scott with her new book, "Frontier Engagement."

JoAnn Brown finishes our week on Thursday, bringing us her new title, "Promise of a Family."

Don't miss a single day of fun, book give-aways, and a chance to meet your favorite authors!

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Drexler | 37 comments An Unlikely Union by Shannon Farrington

Welcome to our Monday Q&A with Shannon Farrington!

Shannon's "An Unlikely Union" is a Civil War story, bringing us both sides of the conflict -

His Brother's Intended Bride

David Wainwright is not one to shirk his duty, and helping his late brother's grieving betrothed is no exception. He'll offer Elizabeth Martin comfort and support—he'll even help her find a job. But most important, he'll continue to hide his true feelings…that he's always cherished his brother's almost-bride.

Elizabeth needs to be strong for the sake of her family. So she accepts David's friendship and assistance. But she hadn't realized how much she'd enjoy and value her work at David's side. Or how much he'd come to mean to her. He's more than a would-be brother to her—and much more than a friend. Could she be ready to open herself to the risks of love for a second time around?

Shannon, your hero, David Wainwright, is a doctor during the Civil War. What was your favorite part about your research in Civil War era medicine?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (wildflowers386) | 19 comments Shannon, What are you currently working on right now?

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Good Morning, Y'all! It's great to be here! An Unlikely Union was my second story. My new story--August 2015 is Second Chance Love --but I'd be more than happy to discuss either one!

message 6: by Shannon (new)

message 7: by Britney (new)

Britney | 230 comments Hi, Shannon! Congratulations on the release of An Unlikely Union! I really enjoy stories set during the Civil War era. What were the challenges, if any, of writing about this time period?

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Rebecca wrote: "Shannon, What are you currently working on right now?"
Good Morning, Rebecca! I'm actually working on a sequel to Second Chance Love set in Baltimore at the close of the Civil War. It features a heroine named Rebekah! It's due out in May 2016. We are still finalizing the title.

message 9: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Good morning Shannon, you are new to me author and like this story a lot, I think there was a movie similar to this. Have you been writing long? do you write different types of stories? Writing about a Dr -does this come from someone in your history? thanks for sharing today.

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Drexler | 37 comments I'm so sorry I put up the wrong book for Shannon! I was trying to get things rolling early this morning (which is late at night for we westerners) and ended up with the wrong link!

Thank you, Shannon, for setting things right!

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Hi Paula,
No there are no Doctors in my personal history. I'm a big history buff and I just wanted to tell a little of what was going on in Baltimore following the battle of Gettysburg. The city served as a major care center for both Union and Confederate soldiers. That's what An Unlikely Union focuses on. In Second Chance Love, hero David Wainwright is a newspaper reporter covering the effort to end slavery in Maryland. Sadly, the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply in that state. It took a new State Constitution to end slavery.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Hi Britney!
The biggest challenge for me was getting the history correct and not just going by things I had heard. I really learned a lot about both sides of the war while working on these projects.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington That's quite alright, Jan! This way we get to talk about both stories! Thanks so much for leading our discussion! I really appreciate it!

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Sorry, Paula! I just now realized, I didn't answer all of your questions! I had my first historical published in December 2011--Her Rebel Heart. It is set in Baltimore and features the same characters as unlikely Union and Second Chance Love. I try to tell a segment of Maryland history with each story. I have a few other American History stories in mind when I finish with the Civil War. Right now, they are still in the idea stage. :)

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 220 comments First of all, don't enter me to win this month, please, since I won a book last month...but I definitely want in on this discussion. :)

Second Chance Love sounds so good! I love stories where one person has been harboring an unrequited love for someone and they think they will never have a chance at love because the person loves another. Then circumstances change and they get a chance at a happily ever after. Throw in the fact that these characters have both lost someone special to them, and it is a great set up for a beautiful story.

My question is: Are historical books your favorite type of fiction to read or do you prefer a different type of story for any reading you do?

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Historicals are my favorite. I think that comes from reading all the classics growing up. I am a big Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott fan. Right now- while working on Civil War stories,I tend to read Regency or colonial era stories for pleasure--usually on Sunday afternoons-- On the other days I read for research but since I'm such a history buff, that's fun as well!

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 220 comments Shannon wrote: "Historicals are my favorite. I think that comes from reading all the classics growing up. I am a big Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott fan. Right now- while working on Civil War stories,I tend t..."

I'm a big Jane Austen fan, as well! And, obviously, since I am part of this group, historicals are a favorite of mine in general. :)

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington What's your favorite Austen book? I love them all but Northanger Abbey is my favorite!

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 220 comments Persuasion & Pride and Prejudice are my top two. I have not read Northanger Abbey yet! I guess I need to add that to my list! What makes it your favorite?

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Henry Tilney, the hero has a great sense of humor. I always find that attractive in a man. That's one of the reasons I picked my husband :-) Humor and Faith will carry you through the rough times. I try to show that in my stories.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington It's nice to be "met"! Thanks for joining us today! Are you a big Love Inspired Historical fan?

message 22: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Shannon! Dorothy Clark here. I'm a little confused about the two books being discussed. The intro says David Wainwright is a Civil war doctor, but you mention in your reply to Paula that David Wainwright is a reporter. Could you please straighten this out? Who is the hero and who is the heroine in Second Chance Love? From which book is the posted blurb?

message 23: by Shannon (last edited Aug 10, 2015 10:25AM) (new)

Shannon Farrington Hi Dorothy! Nice to talk to you. In Second Chance Love, David Wainwright is a newspaper reporter and Elizabeth Martin is a sketch artist. She falls in love with him following the death of his brother,(her fiancé.) The posted blurb is correct--just not the title or tag. There are no doctors in this book! :-) That was An Unlikely Union, October 2013.

message 24: by June (new)

June | 366 comments A sense of humor is a great thing to look for in the right man! :)

The new story sounds great. I enjoyed your other books although Civil War books are kind of hard to read due to the nature of the war. It's great books like yours that is making it easier to read about the subject though! Thanks for writing about a hard subject.

message 25: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Sounds like a great read. Love the time era. I love this historical line. I confess I have tried to read Jane Austen and just get bored. I feel like most people who read a lot love her. Am I the only odd one out? :)

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Bless your heart, June. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate that. It is a tough subject to deal with, but one I think we need to remember.

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Melody wrote: "Sounds like a great read. Love the time era. I love this historical line. I confess I have tried to read Jane Austen and just get bored. I feel like most people who read a lot love her. Am I the on..."

No! Not at all, Melody! I love Austen's stories but it always takes me a chapter or two to re-adjust to her writing style! Our sentences now a days are much shorter!

message 28: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments haha guess I just prefer now a days writing. :)

message 29: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 211 comments Hi Shannon:) I actually just read your book the night before last and I really truly enjoyed it! After reading your previous book, I'd been waiting for your next one and now I'm to wait again lol. I love your characters and hope I get to read about them again in the future^_^

message 30: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Hello, Shannon! Nice to get to know you!

message 31: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im late commenting. I love books set in the Civil war era. Did you enjoy researching the book and did you find any interesting titbits?

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Thank you Janis for your encouraging words! I really appreciate them! So glad you liked Second Chance Love. I understand what you mean about having to wait! I wish I could get all my characters down on paper more quickly! :)

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Hi Valri! Thanks for joining us this evening--or is it still afternoon where you are?

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Ausjenny wrote: "Im late commenting. I love books set in the Civil war era. Did you enjoy researching the book and did you find any interesting titbits?"

Hi Ausjenny! Nice to talk with you! I love researching the Civil War period. It's always been an interest of mine. Most of what I use as historical background in Second Chance Love as well as in An Unlikely Union and Her Rebel Heart are details I never knew about the period until I started researching deeper. For instance, most people think the first blood shed of the war was at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. It was actually the streets of Baltimore, a riot between Confederate sympathizing civilians and Federal (Union) troops. The citizens were upset that the Union men had volunteered to go to war against their own countrymen.

message 35: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh wow didn't know that. I love learning new facts. 2 years ago I got to go to Gettysburg which was a great experience.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Ausjenny wrote: "Oh wow didn't know that. I love learning new facts. 2 years ago I got to go to Gettysburg which was a great experience."
I'm sure it was. Have you ever been there during Remembrance Weekend? It is in November-whatever date is closest to the 19th- the anniversary of the Gettysburg address. Re-enactors come from all over to march in a parade. There is period music, and for those of you who love the ladies fashion of that time--lots of beautiful dresses! I have marched in it several times.

message 37: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments It's afternoon where I live - Oregon! I enjoy learning about anything historical! We went to Gettysburg last year since my son was in grad school in Philadelphia and it was fascinating! I've always loved anything to do with US History! My daughter is a new high school history teacher and she loves it!

message 38: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 211 comments That sounds amazing! Gettysburg is on my travel to-do list, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I finally plan to go:)

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Good for him and good for her!!! What an important job! So much of our history is being lost or watered down because people don't think it's important. I have always believed what they say is true-- Those that don't remember their history are doomed to repeat it. We should celebrate our successes and remember mistakes-- so we can learn from them.

Oregon? Wow! My family and I have been to 46 of the 50 states but we haven't made it to Oregon or Washington yet. I have been reading a lot about Lewis and Clark lately. I can't wait to see the Columbia river!

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington And FYI- The parade is a free event. :)

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Just wondering...do any of y'all have a particular time period or topic in American history that you would like to see featured in a Love Inspired Historical story?

message 42: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Oregon is fantastic! It's hard to believe that we are actually suffering a drought this year! I never thought I'd see the day. I love all the rain and snow but this past year has been rough! I love Lewis and Clark!!!! The Columbia River Gorge is gorgeous! It's so pretty!
My favorite time periods of American history are the Revolutionary War and the Old West! I can't get enough of either one of them!

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Good to know, Valri. Thanks! I'm partial to the Revolution/colonial period as well.

message 44: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Shannon wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Shannon, What are you currently working on right now?"
Good Morning, Rebecca! I'm actually working on a sequel to Second Chance Love set in Baltimore at the close of the Civil War...."

I lived in Baltimore for a while so looking forward to see where your story goes.

message 45: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Shannon wrote: "Just wondering...do any of y'all have a particular time period or topic in American history that you would like to see featured in a Love Inspired Historical story?"

I would like to see World War II or The Roaring twenties (1920's). I enjoyed Second Chance Love.

message 46: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Stopping back to check answers and looks like a lot got covered, I am interested in historical books ,as long as there is some romance I like to learn the facts of wartimes and sounds like you have done lot of research, look forward to reading your books.

message 47: by Shannon (last edited Aug 10, 2015 06:10PM) (new)

Shannon Farrington Melinda wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Shannon, What are you currently working on right now?"
Good Morning, Rebecca! I'm actually working on a sequel to Second Chance Love set in Baltimore at the close o..."

Is that so? Wow! I hope you will enjoy it. How long did you live in Baltimore?

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Melinda wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Just wondering...do any of y'all have a particular time period or topic in American history that you would like to see featured in a Love Inspired Historical story?"

I would like t..."

Both of those are fascinating times, aren't they? So much change in such a short amount of time!
So glad you enjoyed the story! I appreciate you saying so.

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Thanks Paula!

message 50: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I love the revolutionary war time period the best!

« previous 1 3 4